Dollar Thrifty Automotive
www.dtag.com Tulsa, OK 5000+ Employees

Dollar Thrifty Automotive Reviews

Updated Feb 10, 2014
Dollar Thrifty Automotive – US – “DTAG”

Mark P. Frissora

a great experience which allowed me to deal with may different types of people

Rental Sales Agent (Former Employee)
    Islip, NY

Prosevery day i was meeting new people. this is an industry where you are dealing with people from all over the country so after a while you learn how different people operate

Conswith every customer service job you do have your occasional customers that are very hard to deal with. but the good thing is that it is only for a short period of time and after a while you learn ways of dealing with those types of people

Advice to Senior Managementthere is a lot of room for advancement as long as you are doing the right thing even when your not being watched

Great environment, tiring job

Roadside Agent (Current Employee)
    Tahlequah, OK

ProsThe people here are wonderful, and supervisors are generally friendly, helpful, and very understanding. Co-workers are a delight; there is a real sense of camaraderie amongst the agents in my department. The stress level is high, as it is with any customer service job, but the environment is laidback enough to compensate a bit for it. Emergency situations usually find a sympathetic ear with management, and exceptions to the attendance policy can be made.

ConsThe pay isn't amazing, and sometimes the scheduling can be a pain. There seems to be no clear way to get a promotion other than simply knowing or being close to the correct people.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time.

Fast pace job

Sales (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsGreat part time job.
    Management
    Schedule bid on sales

Consvery hard to get the bonus and if you get it,next time they will make the target higher and more difficult.
    And lots of stress

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the car fleet.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Monty Merrill owns this location and he is an amazing man to work for. I enjoyed my time working at Thrifty.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsFun Atmosphere
    Good Money
    Affordable Health Insurance

ConsCar Rental Industry in General can be and usually is very stressful.
    No Retirement/401k

Advice to Senior ManagementWork behind the rental counters and help detail cars from time to time. Your employees will appreciate it.

It used to be a fun place to work.... not any longer!

Executive Director (Former Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsDTAG used to be a fun place to work. We had management that actually cared about the employees and not the almighty dollar.

ConsThe new management is all about lining their own pockets, and boy they have done a terrific job of doing that. Now that the company is being sold to Hertz, the top 5 will make huge compensations for their efforts. When the came to Tulsa, it was all about preparing the company for sale. My sources inside Hertz tell me that the sale has been in the works now for about a year and a half, so the employees have all been lied to for a long time from senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake into consideration the effect you're having on all the families due to your significant number of layoffs. They are ruining lives of many.

go for it, if you need a job, but look elsewhere.

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsPromotions from inside are common, if you get in a good department, you may have a good boss. The Bonus plans can be good. Opportunities to work throughout the united states. Benefit plan pays for your first $1000 of medical expenses.

ConsIt is a dying company that has seen multiple rounds of lay offs. The corporate culture is not that great. A large number of the staff are incompetent. There is a lack of unity and cooperation between the various departments. The 401k match was cut while I was there.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the field v. headquarters quarrelling under control

As good as Dollar can be, it could be much better !!!

Rental Car Agent. (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsMedical Benefits (average), decent pay, and after 10 years working for them,4 weeks paid vacation.
    And rental agents,in particular, who are good at selling upgrades, insurance, etc., get very good monthly incentives.

ConsIn the Summertime, often understaffed. Constantly on the run, and often we miss breaks, due to how busy we are and not enough staff. When we try to call in sick the managers very often give us a hard time, and try to pressure us to come in to work.....if we are sick we are told "take some medicine". Then we are often told how busy they will be, and how short (staff wise) . We are made to feel guilty for something not our fault. !!!
    time if you call in sick. Managers give you pressure

Advice to Senior ManagementTo try and get more feedback from staff. To not make it a punishable offense for calling in sick , when you are sick. This is almost the 8th month of the year, I called in sick once, and we give points that go against us for calling in sick....anytime....and two points for calling in the day before , or after your weekend. Doesn't matter if you are sick...it goes against you on your employee record.

Revenue vs. Cost - Misdirected

Vice President (Current Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsThe people really do care and are willing to go the extra mile and to sacrifice for the greater good of the company.

ConsThere are alot of what appears to be knee-jerk reactions to issues and changing business conditions. This is evident to the employee group as a whole and causes concern and lack of faith in senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to get off the cost issues. This is ingrained in the culture. What is needed is that same amount of focus on revenue generation. That is where we fail miserably.

DTAG = Professional Outsourcers

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsIt is a small company, with its headquarters in Tulsa, OK. It can be easy to get things done there (it is not too big, so there is minimal red tape in accomplishing little victories). They didn't pay great, but the small company atmosphere more than made up for it. We had direct interaction with senior mgmt.

ConsYour job will be moved to India. They have a pledge to outsource all jobs. If they could get their customers to pick up their rentals in India, they would move their rental locations there as well. They have outsourced their IT department (which sounds like it could make sense, but it didn't work out well). They have outsourced their call center (that always makes you popular with your customers). The CEO has made it clear that all jobs that can be outsourced, will be outsourced. Four years ago, they were bursting at the seams, trying to hire more and more people. They had to rent a building elsewhere in town just to accomodate. Now they have vacated that building. They have also vacated a building on their HQ Campus. They used to occupy three buildings at that location, now they have two.

Advice to Senior ManagementOutsourcing hasn't worked. Your actions are not working. Step down, and let someone else take the helm.

Not a bad part time job

ProsGood managers, employees well taken care of, lots of opportunities.

ConsSlightly unorganized, some locations understaffed

Worked for Dollar Thrifty Automotive? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dollar Thrifty Automotive reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dollar Thrifty Automotive CEO Mark P. Frissora. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Dollar Thrifty Automotive employees.