Dollar Thrifty Automotive

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014
2.7

Scott Thompson

Not all bad, but a lot of areas need work to make it great

Current Employee - Lot Attendant  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Lot Attendant in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Dollar Thrifty Automotive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only thing I can think of as being great are the benefits (since the Hertz merger)
    Double time pay for working a holiday (full time employees only)
    Promotes within often.

Cons

Starting pay is too low for all positions. You are expected to perform above and beyond but for little pay and almost no recognition. It took me almost 3 years to get up to $10/hr from my starting pay of $8.25. Some of that was requested and gratefully given. My advice to people starting at this company is don't show them all of what you are capable of, they will take advantage of it. Most of the time there is no consideration in scheduling for an equal balance of work and home life. If you are a student or single mom be prepared to miss classes and spending time with your kids and spending most of your pay on daycare. Most positions will pay about $9/hr, most daycares charge about $25-$30/day so take your daily pay minus daycare and taxes, you're probably earning about $25/day. Managers get a free car and free gas and a nice salary but then don't understand when an employee is having a rough time financially.
    Customers can be very rude and degrading, so be prepared to be yelled at or threatened.
    Huge separation between the rental agents, management and the people who are working outside.
    New employees almost always get stuck doing all night shifts to start.

Communicate what is going on with the employees daily. Listen to the employees and learn to be a little sympathetic to what their personal situation is when it affects work scheduling. Don't be a jerk! Managers of any level are no better than their lowest paid employee, but I think most of them forget that without the people under them, they are nothing. Don't be two faced either. Respect is given when it is earned, you don't just get it because you have a fancy title. Only the brown noser's will do that.
    Thank the employees at the end of their shift and compliment. Too much criticism not enough compliments. People will strive to do even better if they know they are doing well, and feel like what they do matters.

Great company to learn about the corporate field!

Pros

Every day I learned something in the corporate field.

Cons

Work-life balance and no opportunity growth

create job growth

Was a great company until Hertz took over!

Former Employee - Location Manager
    Former Employee - Location Manager

I worked at Dollar Thrifty Automotive full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

company car, insurance and gas are just about the only good thing I can say about working at this company since Hertz took over.

Cons

Bonuses are never paid when they're supposed to be, if they're paid at all. You'll never be told how the bonus amounts are figured. HR (which is Hertz) will ignore problems that you report or out right lie to you.

Hertz is running Dollar Thrifty into the ground. The Hertz Board of Directors should really open their eyes to what is going on.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Dollar Thrifty Automotive full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits, excellent, approachable, and "real" management

Cons

were few rough patches being industry follower instead of leader

great job

Good place to work. People are nice. Workload is very reasonable.

Former Employee - Accountant  in  Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Accountant in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Dollar Thrifty Automotive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance is good. Managers understand and don't give flack when you need the time off, even on short notice. Benefits package is about average for the area.

Cons

Sometimes there are time constraints, but they can be planned around.

Horrible place to work no cars no leadership high stress not worth the money.

Former Employee - Rental Sales Agent  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Tampa, FL

I worked at Dollar Thrifty Automotive full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you can meet your goals there is good money to be made, good people for co-workers.

Cons

Management is never around to help we used to have managers who have a specific number to call if there is a problem, which when there are no cars always happens, but when they knew it was a problem thweir phones would magically be turned off or ignored.

There were never cars available to give customer who'd reserved over 3 months in advance. Since managers are never able to be found you are left to handle everything on your own. Customers are forced to wait in 2 hour long lines and when they get to the counter are told you have to wait another 2 hours to get a car (try selling insurance to them). Once the customer gets the car its only a matter of time before the customer comes back in because their car has 50,000 miles on it, or the breaks squeek, or the maintenance light is on, or bald tires.The entire day consists of you getting cussed out and yelled at by upset customers. Company doesn't care about its employees.

The only real way to make money and meet goals is to lie cheat and steal from customer. To any one who has worked there they will know this line "do you want the full coverage or just the basic?" If you don't work there yet memorize that line because everyone uses it and then lies to the customer and tells them that their total is just the deposit but when they find out its actually their total its to late to have it removed. If you feel comfortable lying cheating and stealing then this is the job for you. I was so I decided to leave after a year of employment.

The environment is like being in highschool all over again there were managers who would take cars (even though we don't have any to spare) and pick up an employee even though they had a line out the door to go find a quiet spot to have "RELATIONS" if you know what I mean overall ridiculous and unprofessional environment to be around if they offered you a job run away as fast as you can.

Hold people accountable, answer manager phone, don't incentivise stealing, punish cheaters, and care about your employees.

Poorly Managed

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Dollar Thrifty Automotive full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

As an Operations Manager, you are given a company car along with free insurance and the unlimited gas from the locations around the country. It is a great perk, but it also becomes the reason to stay as after a while you sell your car and end your own insurance and become dependent on the company car.

Cons

There is no work-live balance whatsoever. The company will ask you work as long as they can get you to work and make you feel like you are slacking off when you only put in 50 hours a week. The schedules change without rhyme or reason and you can end up working the Opening shift for part of the week and then end up working the PM shift the end of the week. Not so bad, every once in a while, but every week...it destroys your sleep patterns. Outside of that, the major fault is management doesn't listen to any of its lower employees. They do a very poor job of fleet management and you will run out of cars at peak times on a regular basis. You will also be short staffed all the time. As hiring is left to those above you and they have very little idea of what it takes to take the abuse our employees go through on a daily basis. As a result the turn over is extremely high on front line employees. The sales program will eliminate any other employees that would be willing to stay. The SALES program is the HORRIBLE and is the reason I tell everyone I know not to rent from DTAG...rent from Enterprise instead.

At one point, we were focusing on Customers..."Customer Driven". It is a great idea and I had hoped that we would moving away from hard sales and to keep customers coming back instead. That seemed to die and as a result, customer continued to complain about sales related issues. Customer service isn't your priority and really should be. Listen to your employees...a lot of them are screaming the same thing. And they are sitting on the frontlines doing the dirty work...

Rental Sales Agent

I worked at Dollar Thrifty Automotive full-time for less than a year

Pros

Commission allows for extra income.

Cons

Often left without cars or cars with issues. No support from managers.

Don't hide in the office while your employees are dealing with all customer issues alone.

Not worth the low pay and high stress

Former Employee - Location Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Location Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Dollar Thrifty Automotive full-time for less than a year

Pros

Managers get to take a car home every night. You also get a free rental whenever you travel.

Cons

High importance put on sales, often to the detriment of the customer. High stress levels due to the lack of availability of vehicles. Upper management is always watching only the bottom line when it comes to money, and does not care if it affects the customer experience or employees happiness. Also, since merging with Hertz, Dollar Thrifty tends to get ignored in favor of Hertz.

Work on treating the companies fairly, Hertz should not have all of the pull to get cars, while Dollar Thrifty is left with an empty lot.

Management Sucks Major, all uneducated, jealous, no life having people

Former Employee - Rental Sales Agent  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Dollar Thrifty Automotive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you cheated well enough you could a big check

Cons

Mangement sucked, making up lies on employees to fit their version of the story

You all suck

Worked for Dollar Thrifty Automotive? Contribute to the Community!