Dollar Thrifty Automotive Reviews

121 reviews filtered by

1. Pretty Good

Former Employee - Greeter in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Greeter in Boise, ID

I worked at Dollar Thrifty Automotive part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked here for the time I was in college, they worked with my schedule. I could have probably had limited advancement but really it was a college job.

Cons

Time off policies, I tried to get time off to go and meet with my then future in-laws over Christmas. The managers would not let me have Christmas off, I had been with the company for three years so it was not a seniority issue, like a grade school drug education program they just said no. At some point somebody stole a GPS unit while I was working for them and they blamed me so I had to fill out a Security Breach form. The GPS showed up two months later, another employee had stolen it and felt guilty, the managers would not take the security breach off of my record. The managers kept me just under the minimum to not provide me with benefits but would have me train all the new employees.

Give time off over Holidays, don't make everyone feel worthless. Trust your employees, and when and if something like a GPS shows up that keeps a record of where it has been look at the record and if you have wrongly mad someone sign paperwork, fix the issue, fix it like it was you who had been wronged.

2. DTAG IT

Former Employee - Director, IT in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Director, IT in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Dollar Thrifty Automotive full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

IT management was solid with a good strategic plan

Cons

Terrible outsourcing policies. They laid off their whole internal IT staff and vended the work out. When the plan didn't work they trickled the work back in.

Marketing strategies are unrealistic.

3. RSA Atlanta

Current Employee - Rental Sales Agentl in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Rental Sales Agentl in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Dollar Thrifty Automotive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training program for entrylevel rental sales. Opportunity for advancement. Must build seniority through longevity, policies and procedures according to contract.

Cons

earning commission during slow times and local renterers, keeping up with rental commission period start and stop days, base pay at 10.00 to star, hours change every 6 months based on seniority bid process, .

Povide proper guidance during peak periods so that employees know what to expect during slow times. Allow flexibility in assignments.

5. Very laid back and enjoyable.

I have been working at Dollar Thrifty Automotive

Pros

Very laid back atmosphere, not much room to move up in the company but great for references.

Cons

Very unorganized as far as management goes, each person has their own agenda and way of doing things that can sometimes lead to confusion and frustration.

Listen to your employees

6. Great until Hertz took over

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Dollar Thrifty Automotive full-time

Pros

Dollar Thrifty was a great company until Hertz bought it

Cons

New company is a mess. A sad situation.

Pays Well but is it worth the stress?

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor/Lead Sales Agent in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor/Lead Sales Agent in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Dollar Thrifty Automotive full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay. Good intro to sales. Making commission is extremely easy to make. Commission is based off of an average. The higher the average the higher the pay percentage. Management is extremely flexible and easy to work with if you are a quality employee. They do not regulate overtime and actually prefer if you are putting in overtime. If you are willing to stay late and come in on weekends they are willing to give you plenty of time off. They host sales contests consistently with prizes such as free tanks of gas and $100 visa gift cards. Frequently, when I was asked to come in on my days off, the manager would let me fuel my car at the end of the day.

Cons

Recently bought out by the Hertz Corporation. They care more about market share rather than quality of service. Hertz will treat Thrifty Employees as the unwanted step-child. They will overbook and run out of vehicles on an almost daily basis. You will have to tell customers that they just flew all the way across the country for no reason because the vehicle they were promised is not there. This job is extremely stressful and may be the most mentally exhausting job you will have. Customers come in with the idea that you will try to rip them off before you even get a chance to say hello. I have worked many customer service jobs and seen many types of customers. 80% of the customers who come in are decent people. The other 20% will be the worst people you will in your life. Not a job meant for a friendly people person or someone with a short temper.

Continue to treat your employees as you have for the last 40 years and you'll be fine.
    Convert to the Hertz employee treatment and you'll lose all of your quality employees.

8. Customer Sevice

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Dollar Thrifty Automotive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are there if you can afford them.

Cons

Bad Management!!!! Management not there for the company only for friends.

Do your job

9. Run

Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Dollar Thrifty Automotive full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free car and gas and insurance

Cons

Must cheat and lie to customers more dishonest more you earn

Don't tell customers one thing and employees another. Lying and cheaters earn the most money

10. not really like it. not a good company to continue

Current Employee - Cashier in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Dollar Thrifty Automotive part-time (less than a year)

Pros

flexible and will have good people around

Cons

not good management, too much work to do

none

Run ! Don't walk away

Former Employee - Customer Services Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Services Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Dollar Thrifty Automotive full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I really Can.t think of any

Cons

Compensation is less than acceptable, conditions are terrible

Treat People with more respect less crap

Dollar Thrifty Automotive Photos