Dollar Tree Canada

Updated September 22, 2014
Updated September 22, 2014
2.4

CEO

Working here has been great. Everyone is friendly and the job is fairly easy.

Current Employee - Cashier - Dollar Tree Canada  in  Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier - Dollar Tree Canada in Surrey, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Dollar Tree Canada part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Its a good place to start out and get experience working in a retail environment. They are very flexible with the schedule.

Cons

There are not many opportunities to grow in the organization. After getting hired as a cashier, the only promotion you can get is to key holder and the job is basically the same and you don't get much of a raise.

It was just for the so-called "Canadian Experience."

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Dollar Tree Canada full-time for less than a year

Pros

Diverse workforce. Just good as an entry-level job in Canada.

Cons

Very low salary for a supervisory position. Don't expect a good salary by working in a dollar store.

No comment. Just thank you for the "Canadian Experience."

Some poor District Management

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Airdrie, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Airdrie, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Dollar Tree Canada full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you a self motivated, well trained, experienced store manager who likes autonomy then this is the right job for you. Help Desk and Property Management in USA is very helpful, competent and supportive.

Cons

As store manager expect the following:
    - very little support from your District Manager. He or she is either too busy, inexperienced or not knowledgeable enough to help.
    - your assistant managers are paid as little as 50 cents above minimum wage
    - supervising minimum wage staff can be a challenge
    - high staff turnover. It's expected - all your staff except one assistant manager earns minimum wage and not more than 25 hours a week on average
    - typically two staff members (including the manager) at any given time in a big store. So ideal environment for shoplifters.

Get your District Managers to visit stores more often and support store managers more. With little store visits expect things to crumble as not all Store Managers are competent or self motivated enough to keep stores up to acceptable standard.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chicken Little

Former Employee - Store Manager 3M
    Former Employee - Store Manager 3M

I worked at Dollar Tree Canada full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It is a great place to work if you would like to remain unknown. Blend in and you will get more than you bargained for.

Cons

NO support from anyone above Manager and the managers that do support the staff are dismissed. If you want to move up, you will not last, they pay low and keep you low and part time. It saves them money. District Manager does not like you? Bye bye, regardless of facts.

As Dollar Giant, you supported your people like family. As Dollar Tree, you disguard us like the junk you sell. My advice, start supporting those of us who gave you so much. Not me mind you, you threw me in the trash.

Love the job...hate the management.

Current Employee - Cashier - Dollar Tree Canada  in  Essex, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier - Dollar Tree Canada in Essex, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Dollar Tree Canada part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fairly easy job, get to work with the public, fairly good co-workers.

Cons

Management is overall poor. American company so you only get 10 minute breaks/item voids are a huge issue/hours are poor...

Hire some managers that don't gossip about their employees, don't slaughter you when you call in sick, aren't lazy and sit in the office and make personal calls instead of working...

Horrible, horrible, horrible

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Dollar Tree Canada part-time for less than a year

Pros

Manager experience, and a pay check I guess...

Cons

Drama, understaffed, sexism, insubordination. I'm an assistant manager and my store manager and i have had many problems with another assistant manager who is constantly butting into other peoples business and causing drama and countless conflicts with me and the store manager CANT do anything about it and the district manager WONT do anything about it.

This other assistant manager calls in "injured" at least every two weeks and winds up taking three days off which i usually have to cover which is completely unfair because my only days off which I also have school on i wind up getting called in for. I am also the only hope for my manager as we are currently understaffed. The other assistant knows this and still calls in, where as i have worked sick because i know they needed me. Whenever the store manager disciplines or even talks to this assistant about her actions she undercuts the manager and goes to the district manager crying wolf. Saying the store manager is bullying her or she doesn't appreciate the way she's being treated. As a result of this the store manager has given up trying to discipline this person, who now gets away with anything and is just getting worse and worse. We have had so many upper management issues and none of them get resolved and right now the only drama i have in my life comes from this part time job... Work is not suppose to be dramatic... And i don't understand why our district manager hasn't done anything about this assistant, managers have authority over assistant managers so why cant our manager discipline this assistant without being scolded by the district manager. The manager runs the store and knows what is happening and the district only takes the assistants story and doesn't consult the manager at all and punishes the manager...

Not to mention the attitude that some of the cashiers give to managers/ standing around instead of working! Usually this is the other way around but i believe that if i am getting paid to be there i have a responsibility to work as hard as i can and so while im working i have to constantly check in with these cashiers to ensure they are working cause if not they will just stand around...

Lastly i know these managerial and political problems run very deep because our store is a recently opened one, 5 or 6 months now and the store coordinator that set up our store with us quit the company about two months after our store opened and dropped in for one last thing and told me he was having very similar problems with his bosses...

i know this all sounds biased but i can assure you that everything i have told you is true! DONT TRY AND GET A JOB FOR THIS COMPANY

District managers need to get all the sides of a story and figure out the truth and not take one side as fact! District managers also need to let store managers run their stores as they have a better idea of what goes on in the store on a daily basis.

No support

Current Employee - Key Holder  in  Windsor, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Windsor, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Dollar Tree Canada part-time for less than a year

Pros

it's a paycheck - somewhat

Cons

Management, Senior management is lacking any kind of sense whatsoever. Not a clue between them

Start to listen to your employees and when it says no repercussions, it should be NO REPERCUSSIONS!!!! This policy is a joke and everyone knows it, it's more like a highschool, the gossip, backstabbing is ridiculous. Favortism is rampant, and obvious, and nobody cares. All that upper management does is make it all into a joke, and makes things worse.....

Experiences

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Dollar Tree Canada part-time for more than a year

Pros

Gain a lot of experience in customer service and learn a wide range of skills in the retail bussiness. A good starting job for students, since they can work around your schedule

Cons

No benefits
    Usually all your shifts are 8 hours (full and part-time positions)

reverse growth

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Dollar Tree Canada full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Canadian Management for the most part are good, with notable exceptions

Cons

lack of middle management judgement

You really need to look in to personal habits of District managers

They valued your work, but no chance to make a decent living

Current Employee - Key Holder  in  North Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Key Holder in North Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Dollar Tree Canada part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They value your work and ideas are shared among team members. There is a sense of work ethic and responsibility.

Cons

Nobody has a high education and many just work and leave. They don't care and could not care less about career advancement. The people they hire are not the brightest and it is horrible pay. I heard from my past manager that they only get like 30,000 which would mean a regional manager would probably not even get 50,000.

Don't work there anymore and would never again work at the store level. With a university education majoring in business administration, I would consider head office. You need to look at what's going on at your store levels and not just what you think is going on.

Worked for Dollar Tree Canada? Contribute to the Community!