Dollar Tree Reviews

• Chicago, IL Area
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

For those who like to work hard

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you like Merchandising creativity, stores are filled with merchandising guides not planograms. Stores are not micro managed. Day to day flow is structured and planned, but leaves room for your focus.

Cons

Over 60% of your time is involved in stocking shelves. Corporate does all employee monetary reviews, you have no control of what good or bad employees get paid. absolutely no training budget for new assistant managers.

Advice to Management

read the cons.

2. "Dollar Tree"

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time

Pros

Good company for people who's trying to save money in today's economy. They have a lot of variety and new items every week.

Cons

Management is unprofessional and rude to employees. Pay is low, not enough hours and no benefits.

Advice to Management

Management need to treat employees with respect and appreciation. All employees need to work their tasks not just some.

The Job is not hard at all but a lot of cliques (favoritism) and gossip between managers and other associates

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Waukegan, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Waukegan, IL

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, easy, no stress, college student friendly

Cons

cliques, gossip, managers are unprofessional and mean somtimes

Advice to Management

care more about your associates not just your managers

assistant manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

weekly check, occasional bonus, it's a job

Cons

exhausting work, negative attitudes, not nice management

Advice to Management

resign

Better then bigger retail stores

Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been at Dollar Tree for about 3 months now and so far my experience hasn't been too bad. As I was reading the reviews a lot of peoples experience at the DT has been negative because of their manager but fortunately I work with a very understanding and overall good manager. For the most part she seems to care about her employees and their needs. I work at a bigger DT and we have about 15 cashiers working there all together (not at the same time of course). At one time there will be about 2 cashiers and 2 managers working. Nothing at the DT is as serious as it may seem at first. When I first started working there I felt confused because of all the different names for the duties I was going to perform and even though I applied for cashier I ended up doing a bunch of different things around the store, which I enjoy very much. You may be doing go back carts or U-Boats, these are two things I really like doing because you have minimal contact with the rude and annoying customers (one of the worse parts about the job). However, at the DT they are weary about putting people on the floor because associates use the opportunity to text on their phones and walk around the store like a zombie barely working. I rushed through go backs and u-boats and my managers were very impressed. Since I started working there I have fewer days on the register and more days opening boxes, stocking, recovering the store and so do the job really well and hopefully they will notice if you don't like working the register either.

Cons

The worse part about the job is the company in general. Although I feel like my manager cares about her employees I certainly don't feel like the COMPANY cares about the employees. They constantly change policy making things even more inconvenient for the associates. At the DT you cannot have another cashier do a transaction for you while you work without a manager present and you have to do the transaction for each item you have because you have to have a receipt for each one! It's kind of ridiculous. If you get off at 3, you cant shop around the store once you're off, you have to do it an hour before you get off work during your 10 minute break...pretty self explanatory I don't even need to go in on how stupid and inconvenient this is for the people who work there. Another con may possibly be the coworkers. The dollar tree is a small company so you will work with the same people over and over again and very closely. At the dollar tree its important to be able to communicate with your coworkers because you have to figure things out among yourself, like establishing who is main cashier and back up, who will go on their break and when and who will cover during that time. You cannot just stay to yourself and avoid them so its important to get along with them. There are some coworkers I find difficult to work with and who make things harder for me by not doing their end of the job but theres really nothing I can do except keep a professional relationship with them. I have seen people cry and quit because of coworker conflicts. The biggest con is the pay and hours. It may be different for a smaller store but if you work at a dollar tree like mine then you work 4 hours 3-4 days a week and make hardly any money. The pay is ridiculous and even though I like my job some days I just not worth it to me and I want to quit badly. They keep your hours few so even if you end up working 5-7 days in a row, they were only 4 hour shifts...I got paid more at Wal-Mart and just stood at the register all day.

7. Retail is not my thing.

Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of works to be done. Won't be standing around.

Cons

You can be both cashier, and stocker.

Advice to Management

Filter our the water, and new durable bags.

8. good company if they could only pay better their employees and give support to there store manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

every thing is a dollar.

Cons

no pay for associates or hours. managers do a lot with no resourses as payroll.business could do better,look better if only payroll was given. managers work over 60 hrs a week.

Advice to Management

pay more to associates so they stay and do a better job.give some pay roll hours to manager so they have nicer ,fuller and happy stores.

9. Its a fun loving atmosphere

Current Employee - Cashier in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

we are like a family, even if we move to other jobs we some will still come by to visit. we call each other by nicknames. the customers love the store we get compliments all the time, they joke with the staff. we make them feel at home as best as we can.

Cons

not very many cons we get the occasional mean costumer, but overall everything is great there

Advice to Management

its ok to be nice and friendly to your fellow coworkers we wont think you are not doing your job, if anything it makes us want to come to work and work for you.

its stale work even in the higher-up position.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Matteson, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Matteson, IL

I have been working at Dollar Tree

Pros

Its a good place to work only if your there for a short period of time like seasonal. If your thier for long-term employment good luck thats all Im going to say.

Cons

The Downside of working at Dollar Tree is the stale, repetitive work, low-hours, and has been downsized extremely in the last few years.

Advice to Management

The management are selective in giving their employers hours,, choosing mostly family and friends regardless of thier work performance.

11. was not so great

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dollar Tree

Pros

the management was nice. everything was cheap.

Cons

bad work hours had to come in at 6 am sometimes to unload shipments. some customers were very unpleasant for no reason or a bit crazy. the pay was not worth the work i was putting in.

Advice to Management

i was pretty happy with my management.

RSS Feed </> Embed