Dollar Tree

Dollar Tree Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser

Bob Sasser

Pros:
  • "Easy to work with other employees because there arent that many but enough that you can request off if need be"
    in 10 reviews
  • "As a part time employee there is a great deal of flexibility for scheduling"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Pay is minimum wage, but that is what you'd expect from a job like this"
    in 38 reviews
  • "To top it off, upper management doesn't appear to have their act together either"
    in 29 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Many Unhappy People

Chesapeake, VA

ProsDecent salary possible if you negotiate, but they will offer you much less than you are worth if they can get away with it.

ConsThis is a company that got too big too fast. Not enough employees for the workload, not filling gaps when people leave the company. The focus on company culture seems like something they do because they have to, ex. write these goals that are exactly what we want you to say, not your actual goals. No open communication between management and employees. HR is total crap. Most people who work here are miserable in my opinion. In our weekly meeting representatives for upper management would sit there and check email and texts on their phone clearly being unable to spare twenty minutes a week to care about and or encourage their employees. Bottom line is this company is about profit and profit only, and does not care about internal morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about your employees, listen to supervisors when they ask you for things to make life better instead of penalizing them for it.

Learning Experiences

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood Management teams, Good District Managers

ConsBroken Promises, shouldn't make promises, getting past up by men.

Surprisingly awesome!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNext to Home Goods, this was the most fun place I worked. The staff was super friendly and we all got along amazingly. Management was cool and very laid back. If you needed a day off it was no problem at all. The only reason I left was because I moved and I transferred to another store! Hours were part time except if you were a manager (40). Cashiers and recovery got about 20-30.

ConsManagement acted more like a friend then a supervisor at times, one man show most of the time, hostile work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure there are enough workers to over crazy busy days. One cashier to ring up a line of 20 people just angers customers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

opportunity

Dollar Tree Cashier (Current Employee)
    Pompano Beach, FL

Prosvery flexiable schedule, easy learning and exceptable pay for job dutites

ConsDealing with different cultures and personailty of customers face to face

Advice to Senior Managementmore motivation with employees

it was ok until my last month there

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Ardmore, OK

Proswilling to work around schedules great boss

Consbenefits were not the greatest

My experience has been good

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Milpitas, CA

ProsFast paced, lots of new experience

ConsRude customers, one man show sometimes

Tired employee

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsYou get to meet new people daily.

ConsExtremely tiring. Not having a set schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive stores more hours to work with. More employees on the stores daily.

They have great products for great prices.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Yonkers, NY

ProsDespite the great prices when you go to shop the shelves are empty.

ConsNeed to pack out more merchandise.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the customers feed back.

Awesome customers but some employees are useless

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)
    Bartonsville, PA

ProsDays went super fast, loved repeat customers, management never treated us like their minions, no price checks, tons of hours if you'd like them. Plus the uniform was very simple and inexpensive.

ConsThe hardest working employees were treated the same as the useless bums who came for a check. Some ppl were so lazy and ungodly rude to customers it blew my mind, yet , they still are working there. Favoritism is a huge issue as well. Standing on concrete floors for 6 hrs on register being insanely busy while others act busy and text on the floor is very annoying. Not being able to select which inventory we want sucks. For ex: if we sell out of certain socks every time they hit shelves within 1 day you'd think we'd be able to convey that to someone so we can order 3x as many. Nope. Random shipments are not based on sales productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementKick the lazy bums out. Too many people want jobs and will work hard. Hiring inexperienced 17 yr kids every time instead of a 28 yr old w/ 2 yrs experience would be the smart choice.

Is good to work in a place you can always do something new, and make a difference.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsI love to help others and because Dollar Tree have a lot of items for the $1 price we get customer from literally anywhere and I like to interact with different background people.

ConsHours, definitely they really have to improve a lot here. Some of the brake rooms are not set for an associate to sit down and enjoy a break. Some stores don't have air conditioning

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should make a visit at least once every six months to see for themselves the condition of the store. I have never personally met anyone from "high levels" in the company. (2 years with the company)

Worked for Dollar Tree? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dollar Tree reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dollar Tree CEO Bob Sasser. All 510 reviews posted anonymously by Dollar Tree employees.