Dollar Tree Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
2.7

Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser
Bob Sasser

Pros
  • 5 hour shifts make it easy to work around for part time job (in 14 reviews)

• As a part time employee there is a great deal of flexibility for scheduling (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • The starting pay is minimum wage and you only get the barest on raises once a year (in 45 reviews)

• I feel as though the company or just the local upper management (unsure which it is really (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Your till must be straight at all times

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hampton, VA

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They hired me on the spot, they don` t require qualifications other than counting and being outgoing sales experience is helpfull

Cons

If ur till isnt straight they assume ur stealing don't they assume customers right ..ugh ..

Support ur team its not always teams fault lead your team.

Could have been worse

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Laramie, WY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Laramie, WY

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I lucked out with a fantastic general manager. That, in itself, made all the difference in wanting to come to work. Job is extremely easy to learn. You get what you put in. It's a really good place for those who are wanting to get retail experience but that's about it. I'd come back IF my old GM was still there. It's rewarding to be able to motivate the store associates despite store conditions and problem-causing customers. It's not terrible. Just walk in through the week and observe the store, the managers demeanor, the overall attitude of the employees, and that will give you a clue on whether or not to fill an app. That's what I did and I interviewed the GM without him knowing I was interviewing. Fantastic person.

Cons

Because of the nature of the job, one is bound to work with less-than-desireable employees. If the company is desperate to keep workers, nothing gets done about the workers who cause problems for the other employees. As an Assistant Manager I had to work with another Asst. Mgr. who made things a living hell for employees. Even if the GM wants to do something about it, he or she can't because of micromanaging from Corporate. The work can get quite monotonous.

Corporate: Stop the favortism, make time for proper training, and really listen to the employees - they experience what you don't see and can often give good insight on how to deal with store issues.

Great to shop at, not to work at.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pottstown, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pottstown, PA

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small store easy to remember everything. Everything is a dollar whats better then that. its better then no job.

Cons

Few hours even closer to holidays due to company forcing over hiring. 15cent a year raise little to no room for improvement for wages

I loved working for Dollar Tree. My district Manager Deana was the best person to work for and with!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Jonesville, MI
    Former Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Jonesville, MI

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dollar Tree was amazing!! I started there as a shy timid 19 year old girl and left there a very outspoken and driven 25 year old women. I opened a store in Jonesville MI and it was the best experience of my life!! Hiring training and working side by side with my own team was amazing. I was very blessed to have selected such an amazing group of people. I learned so much with Dollar Tree from the business end of things and schematics all the way to really making your customers feel like they mattered. I will carry the things I learned within that company with me for the rest of my life. I learned how to be a bold, confident, outgoing, strong willed business woman there.

Cons

The only con is the jealousy factor that took place. Had a certain store manger not been upset that I was taking over her store after my temporary step down, I would have never left the company. I wanted to work my way as far up the chain as I could. She pretended to be fine with it and acted happy for me but was behind my back trying to get cashiers to lie about me so she could get me fired. All of our cashiers loved me so they would tell me everything. My DM was stuck between a rock and a hard place so I very sadly very graciously walked away before the name I had worked so hard to build was destroyed.

Keep your good employees and get rid of the bad. Don't be afraid of demoting someone just because you don't want to bruise there ego or hurt their feelings........after all not everyone is true tree material!!!

Okay experience working here, a lot of work.

I have been working at Dollar Tree

Pros

Flexible schedule, pretty easy going.

Cons

A lot of work, and sometimes have to deal with rude customers.

Real Talk

Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Citrus Heights, CA
    Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Citrus Heights, CA

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to take days off. A good team of cashiers that are friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

You only get the bare minimum of hours work. The only way you can get hours is if they call you to cover a shift.

if there's 4 registers, there should be 4 cashiers at the same time, but they only work two cashiers.

okay

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

fast paced and great to get experience in working sales. can get hired pretty quickly depends on when you apply at the store.

Cons

under staffed at times and can get really hectic and the managers I had were not all that great at least at my dollar tree

I have been working at Dollar Tree

Pros

It's an easy job and you can work yourself up pretty quick if you have a good work ethic.

Cons

MINIMUM WADGE. And managers in most of the stores always hate what there doing and bring people down and create a lazy staff who does not care. I have been in four different stores and on two states all the same ..

Learn to judge new employes better, work on getting better pay

My experience was positive

Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Brookings, SD
    Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Brookings, SD

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked the laid-back feel. The actual work itself was not challenging. I found managers very understandable and likable.

Cons

While I had no problem with management, I know that quite a few employees were prone to quitting. I dislike that the closing shift cashiers are required to drive all the way across town to the bank to deposit the money every night. I never had a weekend off.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, Customers were excellent to help. Store Manager is there to help you develop your skills. Great first job for an assistant manager position. Bonuses for reaching sales and margin goals.

Cons

Biggest con is that the schedule is not consistent and may change during work week depending on truck loads. Hours are limited for scheduling, so this entails the managers do most of the stocking and upkeep of the store.

Dollar Tree Photos