Dollar Tree Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
2.7

Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser
Bob Sasser

Pros
  • Easy to work with other employees because there arent that many but enough that you can request off if need be (in 12 reviews)

• As a part time employee there is a great deal of flexibility for scheduling (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The starting pay is minimum wage and you only get the barest on raises once a year (in 44 reviews)

• I feel as though the company or just the local upper management (unsure which it is really (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

okay

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

fast paced and great to get experience in working sales. can get hired pretty quickly depends on when you apply at the store.

Cons

under staffed at times and can get really hectic and the managers I had were not all that great at least at my dollar tree

I have been working at Dollar Tree

Pros

It's an easy job and you can work yourself up pretty quick if you have a good work ethic.

Cons

MINIMUM WADGE. And managers in most of the stores always hate what there doing and bring people down and create a lazy staff who does not care. I have been in four different stores and on two states all the same ..

Learn to judge new employes better, work on getting better pay

My experience was positive

Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Brookings, SD
    Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Brookings, SD

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked the laid-back feel. The actual work itself was not challenging. I found managers very understandable and likable.

Cons

While I had no problem with management, I know that quite a few employees were prone to quitting. I dislike that the closing shift cashiers are required to drive all the way across town to the bank to deposit the money every night. I never had a weekend off.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, Customers were excellent to help. Store Manager is there to help you develop your skills. Great first job for an assistant manager position. Bonuses for reaching sales and margin goals.

Cons

Biggest con is that the schedule is not consistent and may change during work week depending on truck loads. Hours are limited for scheduling, so this entails the managers do most of the stocking and upkeep of the store.

Its a great store I wouldn't mind shopping there

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The store is great
    Good employees
     Good parking

Cons

Need more workers
    Not enough carts

You should hire more employees like me

Great coworkers but horrible Management !

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Stock Boy in Suisun City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Stock Boy in Suisun City, CA

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had great hours i chose to work early shifts 4am 5am and was able to spend the afternoons with my family. when working on the sales floor your meet alot of great people but like anywhere there are a few bad apples. Made some great friend ships with coworkers and management. And if need i would work at other stores within our area.

Cons

But due to the unorganized and horrible work ethics of the management in all the stores Ive worked at there was no way that i would recommend this job to anyone.

You need to evaluate your company's management and find who can do a simple job of managing their time right and find people that are upbeat about working their job not just willing to do it.

Not a company to work for

Former Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Randolph, MA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Randolph, MA

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The other employees were like family.
    5 hour shifts make it easy to work around for part time job

Cons

You spend more time moving things around than anything else.
    Corporate has little care for their employees
    Who wants to work 1 shift a week?
    5 hour overnight shifts for 9 bucks an hour are simply not worth the time/energy

Have common sense
    Instead of following every rule in the book, adapt to certain situations and work with them.

Dollar Tree will cut costs at any expense

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working here you get to know the community and talk with interesting people. It is retail so expect the worst from a few

Cons

Complete disregard for company policy from full time management. The district manager can never be reached and has obvious favoritism towards select employees. The pay is also outrageous. Associates make 7.75 per hour for an 8 or 10 hour week. Management doesn't make too much more but works 30 - 40 hours a week doing 9 or 10 different tasks around the store ranging from paper work, to running a register, to even stocking shelves all while being scrutinized.

Pay your employees and give out some decent hours. The sales that are expected of a store for a week is the pay someone a 13 an hour for a 40 hour week makes in a year. Stop lining your pockets and pay from the ground up. You can wait for your next $30,000 bonus when the rest of us can afford to eat

This company treats its people like criminals.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company puts a few dollars in your pocket when there are no ditches to dig or sewers to clean.

Cons

Every worker is treated like a thief. It is insulting to not be able to purchase something for break or lunch without taping the receipt to the item. And if you purchase more than one item, such as a drink and a sandwich and chips. Three separate sales must be rung up and a separate receipt taped to each item as you consume it in the break room. This company is, at best, just a fill-in job until a better one comes along. It is a shame to feel like you are walking on eggshells as you are monitored via cctv. If workers were treated with a little more respect, there would not be so much turnover.

Provide an anonymous channel to voice employee concerns without fear of reprisal.

Dollar Tree

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker/Sales Associate in O Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker/Sales Associate in O Fallon, MO

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They pay you for each and every minute you work, even if you work over your time to get off.

Cons

None to report. Great job to work at.

Offer benefits and vacation to part-time employees

Dollar Tree Photos