Dollar Tree

Updated December 11, 2014
2.7

Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser
Bob Sasser

Pros
  • 5 hour shifts make it easy to work around for part time job (in 14 reviews)

• As a part time employee there is a great deal of flexibility for scheduling (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • over worked so under payed (close to minimum wage if you don't speak up) (in 50 reviews)

• absolutely no training budget for new assistant managers (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Stillwater, OK
    Former Employee - Cashier in Stillwater, OK

I worked at Dollar Tree

Pros

It's a pay check. Easy hire.

Cons

The employees are unprofessional - partially because they are over worked and have a bunch on their plate. Short staffed, employee are everything from unloading freight, to stocking to cleaning to cashiering. The management sees you as just a hand - I felt used, because I would stay past the time scheduled to work and felt very unappreciated after the day was over. I got written up on my first day because the entrance was locked in the morning, and the manager assumed I was late. A lot of the rules are mentioned as the time goes by, so you don't really know what to expect even after training. Quite misleading company.

ok

I worked at Dollar Tree

Pros

greeting customers , helping with her needs

Cons

regulations , time off policies,

Cashier

I worked at Dollar Tree

Pros

Great flexibility, great jobs for students

Cons

Short shifts and low wages makes it hard to make a living for yourself while working there, no particular job description

The Dollar Tree Management and the Price of the Products are the Same - $1

I have been working at Dollar Tree

Pros

The associates work hard and care. Everything in the store costs $1. It is good experience for another retail store if you want to remain in retail.

Cons

I actually have something to compare this store to because I've spent years working in highly functioning environments. This place is an absolute joke.

Training - All new employees are supposed to go through iLearn computer training. I assume this is where you find out about corporate policy and learn about safety procedures, cashiering, stocking, customer service, etc. I say "assume" because I never went through any iLearn training. My training consisted of 10 minutes of watching another cashier work her line and then I got my own till. THAT WAS IT!

The store I work at LOVVESS writing people up. Their motto must be "Don't train them or explain levels of expectations. Just write ' em up". You don't know you did something wrong until you got written up for it.

Management - There are a total of 5 managers ( 1 store manager and 4 assistant managers) at the store. The store manager seems to hate his job and has completely checked out. No one ever seems to know where he is. Only two of the assistant managers do I have any respect for. They are actually responsive and professional. One of the assistant managers is horrible. She has a nasty attitude and brings her personal problems to work. She talks about associates to other associates. She is manipulative and petty. She previously worked as an assistant manager at a couple other Dollar Tree stores. She was on the verge of getting fired at each of the other stores and was subsequently transferred to this store. Believe me, nothing changed. She should be working in a basement somewhere. She is really inept as any kind of manager.

Scheduling - Just like everyone else says on Glassdoor about Dollar Tree, the company is all about keeping expenses down so they staff to the minimum. What you end up with is long lines of pissed off customers. The funny thing is, the same ones that complain keep coming back. I guess the customers' like the prices and that is why Dollar Tree doesn't change their staffing policy. On average, there are only 2 cashiers in the store and 1 stock person. If the customers get unruly a manager will start ringing up purchases.

Cleanliness -- The store is always dirty. The shelves are dirty. The bathrooms are dirty. The registers are dirty. The stockroom is dirty The break room is dirty. This is a result of management at this particular store because I have been to other Dollar Trees and they are clean.

I don't know if I have any advice for senior management as they are running the business the way they want to run the business. If they cared about the customer experience they wouldn't skimp on staffing.

Cashiers should be able to have a bottle of water at the register. We work 5 to 6 hours without anything to drink. The 10 minute break barely allows us time to use the bathroom, so we don't get anything to drink then either.

Great Experience , Poor Management.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kent, WA

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great starter job and thats it.

Cons

Hours are crappy for associates and asst managers. I worked at dollar tree for a year, for the first 7 months I worked as a cashier, frozen food captin and clipstrip captin and than I applied to be an Assistant Manager and got the position. It was all good for a while but things started to take a turn for the worst. I was told I was going to be full time but was only working part time hours, the pay was okay but it wasn't much of an increase from an associate. My store manager was not the best after a while always complaining about things that was her responsibility. It's not hard to move up in this store and there is a really high turn over as well. Also some of the newer asst were qualified for things that i wasn't and i had been there longer and in the asst manager position longer.

Change your attitude and give a fair pay to everyone who deserves it.

Under paid and over worked.

Current Employee - Ast Manager in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Ast Manager in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of one thing.

Cons

Being a current employee for dollar tree, I would like to remain anonymous. As far as the deals go, it's great. Working there is a whole different story. And it's not just the retail it's the way the company treats you. I have been an ast. Manager for 4 years now and still haven't managed to get $1.00 raise. $0.15 raise each year for all my hard work. I dedicated so much of my time to this company and they say thank you with $.15cents. I work 40hours a week, and it is not enough to support myself none the less a family. It's a
    Constant struggle to pay the bills. The associates at dollar tree get a standard raise! So another associate doing half the work is getting the same raise as someone like myself who is working twice as hard, taking on more responsibility; it's unfair! I work @ a very successful store, where we always strive for higher standards. It's just disappointing to know that we are
    underappreciated.

Pay your employees better!

Expectations high with low pay

I worked at Dollar Tree

Pros

The best thing was helping the customers. Second was the coworkers. Corporate was great to work with.

Cons

Demanding job with no recognition, low pay, and incompetent manager and incompetent district manager. As full time assistant manager there weren't enough hours in the day to get things done.

Employee appreciation and higher wages. Raises that are more than 3% ....that's an insult.

Amazing but.. dirty

Current Employee - Stocker/Truck Unloader in Siloam Springs, AR
    Current Employee - Stocker/Truck Unloader in Siloam Springs, AR

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced, keeps you going, great weight loss job when stocking and unloading truck.

Cons

Poor pay, poor hours, poor corporate... big corporate small care for its employees

Practice what you preach. Do the work you order your employees to do. Or at least know how to do it right.

Dollar tree

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people i worked with were nice

Cons

My manager hardly in the store during normal business hours. And i had to go into work behind a lazy part time manager who had a bad attitude . The store was never clean. It has just on the bottom shelves 2 incest thick. I have only been with the company 3 months and already dissatisfied with the job.

It has been a good experience working over there.

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours & friendly environment

Cons

U have to be on your tow all the time. The store in which I am working that is very busy

Wages rate should be enhanced

Dollar Tree Photos