Dollar Tree

Dollar Tree Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser

Bob Sasser

Pros:
  • "Easy to work with other employees because there arent that many but enough that you can request off if need be"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Good place to work if you are looking for part time work"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Minimum wage unless you're management, but even then it's only about"
    in 33 reviews
  • "To top it off, upper management doesn't appear to have their act together either"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not a bad place to work if you are willing to work.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Greensboro, NC

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI enjoyed my time I spent with this company. I had a great dm to work for, and as long as I did my job to run a great store than I had no issues. I left for more money , but have thoughts of trying to return back as a dm. The pros were being able to make your own schedule, and it being flexible. Fast paced environment that changes constantly. You can create the culture you want in your four walls. Company has a good business model, and is very stable.

ConsVery physical, and have a lack of hours for proper staffing. Upper management is the good old boys network that has some people in place that do not understand the nature of the business. You also have to be prepared for long hours as this is retail, and that means holidays. Company is building stores right on top of each other, and if this happens to your store you can say goodbye to your bonus. Customers can be great, but you also see the under belly of society in this business.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote within- you have great store managers and dm's that should be moving upwards. Stop bringing in leaders of failed companies when you already have the talent that knows how to make your company successful.

It was alright working there

Cashier and Stock (Former Employee)
Oakdale, MN

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time for more than 3 years

ProsAll of the people I worked with were awesome, the manager was the best manager because she would tell me to do this an this and just let me do it she didn't bother me with anything unless it was important or something serious

Consover time they started cutting my hours to down around 5-10 hours a week and that wasn't cutting it just getting less then 100 dollars a week, the only other con would be the district manager for the twin cities area in Minnesota she has no regard to how people are as in when its hot out and moving boxes around for inventory in the heat in a gaint warehouse and wont let anyone take a break that not how you run a company, also she put me on the no hire list because she didn't like how I did my job, it worked better then what she had done all she does is complain, she needs to go.

Advice to Senior Managementthe only advice I have is don't treat you employees like they are mindless tools, be compassionate when they need time off because of unfortunate events in their life there are always another person that can use those extra hours.

Employee compensation is the bare minimum the company can legally get away with.

Associate (Former Employee)
Redding, CA

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time for less than a year

ProsWorking here isn't so bad. Depending on the store, the actual environment is pretty good. You'll likely work with good people stocking shelves, and when needed you'll occasionally go up to do a little cashiering too. Because everything is $1, there's no need to worry about price tags or putting things up in any specific place, which means you have a lot of flexibility with actually putting things up, and it's no problem to re-arrange a shelf in order to get something to fit. Overall the work is typical retail stuff, and it's not any better or worse than what you might expect. This could be a decent job for a high-school student looking to work a little for video game money during the summer.

At the store level, the people you'll work with are usually great. (Though I've read some horror stories.) Problem is people at store manager level and lower are shackled by the tyranny of those at the higher level, all the way up to executive level.

ConsFor starters, there are two kinds of people at this company; managers, and everyone else. Managers make the kind of money you might expect to make as a typical employee at any other retail establishment. Everyone else makes minimum wage. For both, the chances of ever getting a raise are slim to none. I was not a manager, so I'll describe that experience. Your name is on the schedule, posted each week, for a total of about 12-16 hours. However, this schedule is largely ignored, and you can consider yourself "on-call" for the entire week. If the manager's budget for hours is good, you can expect to work as many as 32 hours, if not you'll probably be working your scheduled hours, if that. Each day you wait for the call to let you know if you're coming in the next day. Planning ahead for anything is impossible. Sure, you're free to say no, but then you're probably less likely to be asked to work more hours in the future.

I mentioned before, pay is minimum wage. I asked another employee about raises, and he laughed at me. Dollar Tree would probably pay you less, but that would be illegal. I assumed that it was because they charge a dollar for everything, but looking further into it they've actually got some very comfortable profit margins for a retail establishment. They've been very successful, and with the recession driving more people looking for a bargain, they've been doing VERY well. There is no reason why they couldn't pay their employees more than they do.

No perks I could see. They offer no health insurance to part-timers, and there is no employee discount. Also, off-the-clock security checks left a bad taste in my mouth.

If you work for Dollar Tree, all purchases you make must be overseen by a manager, and they are tracked. This is extremely inconvenient, as while waiting for a manager, you are either holding up the line, or standing around while other customers go ahead of you. This felt wrong to me as well, as these purchases are made off the clock, and yet your are treated as a potential thief, which is not something ordinary customers have to deal with.

I cannot recommend this job to anyone other than childless young-people who do not intend for Dollar Tree to be their main source of income and who only intend to work for Dollar Tree in the very short term. Even then, these people would likely be better off working in fast food, or any other retail establishment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company needs a clearer path to higher positions. It needs better perks, such as an employee discount. Stop treating all your employees like potential criminals, the purchase tracking and off the clock security checks are a legal grey area, annoying, and unethical. The company needs to give proper raises to reward longer term employees, and to accommodate for inflation and a rising cost of living. The company needs to take experience into account when determining pay, as the current pay rate is nothing short of insulting. Currently, nobody works at Dollar Tree because they want to, and to take advantage of desperate people like this while simultaneously raking in high profits and watching your stock price go up is despicable.

Assistant Store Manager

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time for more than a year

ProsFlex schedule under the right manager.
Good staff, benefits for full time employees, ability to transfer state to state.
Great merchandise.
Great starting opportunity.

ConsPay is not good for the amount of work involved.
not enough staff to help customers and customer become rightfully angry.
some store in dangerous location without security or amble lighting at night.
night bank deposit are dangerous at certain locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider having no less that 3 - 4 plus management regular staff members on schedule at all times. This will ensure cleanliness of store, stocking and most important proper assistant available to customers on the sales floor. I worked in retail for over 20 years in all aspects, and this is the first high traffic company with the least amount of proper staffing. Its unrealistic for certain districts. It might work for certain areas but you must consider the location when staffing. Good company can be one of the greater ones with a better retail structure.
Offer your staff a better salary and you can get some real quality people on board. Consider Costco and Trade Joe type companies when staffing, they have happy team members and its always a pleasant experience for the customer.

This was an overall good experience.

Cashier and Stock (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time for less than a year

ProsI was able to gain experience as a cashier, so counting money and interacting with people. These are two good skills that many will need moving forward in their careers (especially people skills).

ConsThe store management lacked accountability from within which led to internal issues. Pay (minimum wage) does not match the work we had to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract more with the employees and store management to be more on one accord with the stores needs.

It was a great place to work.

Dollar Tree Cashier (Former Employee)

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI loved working there, it was fun and easy. the atmosphere was great the customers where always very nice.

ConsSometimes there weren't enough people working during busy hours or days, the company rises weren't that great, and at the dollar tree I was working at when there was a position to move up in the company they would ask people that just started for the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees and who you are hiring, not everyone is doing the best at the job. Also show that you care about the people that work for you ,3% for a rise is kinda low for the stuff that cashiers have to deal with.

Ok if you are desperate

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Terre Haute, IN

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time for more than a year

ProsWorked under a really good Manager.

ConsLow pay, fluctuating hours, understaffed do to Corporate not local Management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore Manager great/District Manager not so great.

Opened my eyes to how working in retail really is...

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time for more than a year

Pros-small, close-knit store team
-I can't think of anything else, but I have to type this because there is a 20-word minimum

Cons-corporate management has no trust in associates whatsoever; they think all of them are stealing, so they implement ridiculous rules (bag checks, dumpster checks, manager must approve employee purchase, cashiers can't keep a water bottle with them under register, etc.) that distract from successfully providing a clean, stocked store and an attentive shopping experience for the customers.
-not enough scheduling hours allotted/not enough help: too much to do, not enough people. shelves are empty (customers even occasionally ask if we are going out of business!), check-out lines are long, the store always looks filthy, and stock room is packed full (probably violating OSHA guidelines) with merchandise that could be on the sales floor. Most "stocking" is done in the morning by the manager on duty, who also has to be a back-up cashier to the one main cashier, and attend to the cashier if they need change (drawers only allowed to have a total of $75 at start of shift), need a return processed, etc. Needless to say, very little ends up getting done.
-hours are very inflexible and schedules are given at last minute, usually on a Thursday or Friday for Sunday through Saturday of the next week (giving only 2-3 days notice).
-pay is paltry for cashiers, and especially for the assistant managers. An absolute disgrace.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing on such minute details! There is so much attention paid to lowering skid and preventing employee stealing, that thousands of dollars are being lost while merchandise sits in the stockroom and the shelves are empty. The approach you currently have is the definition of being "penny-wise and pound foolish": The measures taken by store management (under your discretion) to ensure that a cashier doesn't steal a $1 item take away valuable time that could be utilized by these managers to get the THOUSANDS of dollars of merchandise out of the stock room and on to the sales floor. I understand that preventing employee theft is extremely important, but even this seems a little excessive.

high paced

University Place, WA

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time for more than 3 years

Prosvery happy environment, fast paced. Great bosses

Consso much to do so little time. Not the best paying job..

Advice to Senior Managementkeep busting you butts

Good..and...Bad

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time for less than a year

ProsThe "ideas" DT tries to aspire to are well intentioned, but unrealistic in most cases. There is never enough staff, you work hard for low pay (I don't mind working hard, but there is no expectation of praise or reward from Store Management, or Company.
But, the customers (most on fixed incomes) are what makes this job, and their apprication for you helping and making them have a good experience in your store.

ConsThe horrid and non-conistant schedule when you are a 25 hr a week PT Manager, this makes getting another PT job to supplement your income (No one can make it on minimal pay, and 25 hours a week alone) almost impossible.

Also being asked to do night deposits or even day deposits (when one gets off after an early shift)for the store "off the clock," in clear violation of state, and federal labor laws. When I brought this up to my store manager, I was basically told, "..it's part of your job, and everyone does it. If you don't want to do it, quit..."

Just because everyone does it, does not make it right, or legal.

Also the lack of training. "trial by fire" is no way to train someone. I had previous retail experience as a manager at another store similar to DT, but did to know the DT way of doing things. I used best judgement from my past experience since I had no real training from the Store Manager, only to be told how I did not do things the way they wanted them done.

I asked to be shown or given a diagram, or written guidelines. I was told "I should know." That was that.

I know the Store Manager has a lot on their plate, but they do not seem to remember or realize that we don't work FT, and have bills to pay and a life outside of DT.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest someone take a long hard look at what I have spoken about here.

Worked for Dollar Tree? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dollar Tree reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dollar Tree CEO Bob Sasser. All 426 reviews posted anonymously by Dollar Tree employees.