Dollar Tree

Updated November 23, 2014
2.7

Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser
Bob Sasser

Pros
  • 5 hour shifts make it easy to work around for part time job (in 14 reviews)

• As a part time employee there is a great deal of flexibility for scheduling (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • over worked so under payed (close to minimum wage if you don't speak up) (in 50 reviews)

• absolutely no training budget for new assistant managers (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

a new employee

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've heard over and over that with good old fashioned hard work , you can achieve management status rather quickly . And being a single mom, without a collage degree , this could be the solution for me.

Cons

So far I have no complaints .I try to stay optimistic . At times I become frustrated with the lack of work ethics in others, it can make my job all that much harder .But on the flip side , it only showcases me all that much more

My store is extremely busy , probably one of the top money makers .Because of this the stock room is packed floor to ceiling . The shelves are empty and the place is an utter disaster .If we had a week of nighttime hours , maybe we could get the place back in shape.

Great to shop at, not to work at.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pottstown, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pottstown, PA

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small store easy to remember everything. Everything is a dollar whats better then that. its better then no job.

Cons

Few hours even closer to holidays due to company forcing over hiring. 15cent a year raise little to no room for improvement for wages

Your till must be straight at all times

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hampton, VA

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They hired me on the spot, they don` t require qualifications other than counting and being outgoing sales experience is helpfull

Cons

If ur till isnt straight they assume ur stealing don't they assume customers right ..ugh ..

Support ur team its not always teams fault lead your team.

Dollar tree

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people i worked with were nice

Cons

My manager hardly in the store during normal business hours. And i had to go into work behind a lazy part time manager who had a bad attitude . The store was never clean. It has just on the bottom shelves 2 incest thick. I have only been with the company 3 months and already dissatisfied with the job.

Good experience if your just coming out of college to learn retail management.

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You could possibly bonus monthly

Cons

Not enough payroll to support the business in NYC need to increase pay & hrs for associates

You stand for long period time, can be tiring being in one spot when very busy.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Dollar Tree

Pros

You get cash handling experience and talk to customers at times, if you're a people person.

Cons

You only get two 10 minute breaks and only half hour lunch when have 8 hour shift, which feels like you don't really get a break and to top off, you have to punch them in seperately. They expect for you to be near the register area and re-stock front areas only and if you get a chance cause you're always on register, and some employees don't want to help at the register.

Make work atmosphere fun and make a plan of teamwork. If all help each other out, everyone gets a good balance and gets goals metwhether at the register or stocking. Have cashiers take a turn to stock to help have a break away from the register once in a while and when it's busy.

I loved working for Dollar Tree. My district Manager Deana was the best person to work for and with!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Jonesville, MI
    Former Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Jonesville, MI

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dollar Tree was amazing!! I started there as a shy timid 19 year old girl and left there a very outspoken and driven 25 year old women. I opened a store in Jonesville MI and it was the best experience of my life!! Hiring training and working side by side with my own team was amazing. I was very blessed to have selected such an amazing group of people. I learned so much with Dollar Tree from the business end of things and schematics all the way to really making your customers feel like they mattered. I will carry the things I learned within that company with me for the rest of my life. I learned how to be a bold, confident, outgoing, strong willed business woman there.

Cons

The only con is the jealousy factor that took place. Had a certain store manger not been upset that I was taking over her store after my temporary step down, I would have never left the company. I wanted to work my way as far up the chain as I could. She pretended to be fine with it and acted happy for me but was behind my back trying to get cashiers to lie about me so she could get me fired. All of our cashiers loved me so they would tell me everything. My DM was stuck between a rock and a hard place so I very sadly very graciously walked away before the name I had worked so hard to build was destroyed.

Keep your good employees and get rid of the bad. Don't be afraid of demoting someone just because you don't want to bruise there ego or hurt their feelings........after all not everyone is true tree material!!!

Lacking professionalism and organization.

Former Employee - Cashier in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a lot of fun, good coworkers, and good experience for a better job down the line. Every employee handled every job.

Cons

No clear chain of command, assistant managers lacked professionalism, and poor pay. Not worth the gas money for a commute.

Should institute a set duty roster for various positions. Roles of store managers, assistant managers, cashiers, stockers, etc.

stressful

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As an assistant manager you have to receive full time hours, so while everyone else may have there hours cut yours are safe and not difficult job to work at all

Cons

over worked so under payed (close to minimum wage if you don't speak up).The work was easy it was just how much you expected to do in the hours allotted.

it's Good for a Temporary Job . If You're Looking for a PROFESSIONAL Company to Grow With this is NOT the One.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Pay for New ASM's ; Convenient . You're able to Have a Second Job or Go to School Working Full time Here.

Cons

No opportunity for Growth ; unorganized; District Managers Suck !

Dollar Tree Photos