Dollar Tree Reviews

1. Too much to do, so little staff

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Dollar Tree

Pros

Friendly coworkers make it fun, generally flexible schedules. For the most part the cashiers know what they're doing and don't have to be told a hundred times what needs to be done.

Cons

Expectations are way too high for management, and not all managers are on the same page. Some prioritize recovery and others prioritize stocking, so no matter which one I choose (or if I try and strike a balance and do both) I end up getting complained at by somebody. Sometimes they change the schedule last minute without asking, I've seen employees get in trouble for not showing up for a shift they didn't even know they had.

Advice to Management

For corporate - give stores more payroll! It's next to impossible to get everything done when half the time the managers have to hop on register because there's only one cashier. Also, maybe rethink policies that encourage all employees to be suspicious of one another? I get that stealing can be an issue, but it seems a little excessive. I don't even buy anything from my store because I don't feel like ringing every item up separately and having my purse rooted through.

Demanding Workplace With Little Payroll

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- If you work hard and get noticed, you can move up to run a store if one opens up. - No planograms, instead uses flow guides to give you more freedom - No rain checks, or a lot of other common problems such as rebates, etc. They do take food stamps, EBT, and manufacturers coupons though. - 2 to 4 assistant managers depending on the size or business of a store. - Registers are easy to operate. - Recently bought Family Dollar and could lead to a lot of growth in the company in the future possibly. - Fair benefits, profit-sharing, 401k - Monthly or quarterly bonuses if sales are exceeded.

Cons

- LONG days and nights. I have regularly worked 12-14 hour shifts and not just during the holidays. - Payroll equations don't make any sense and it often ends up with you having to cut so many hours that you are pretty much there by yourself trying to stock humongous trucks yourself. - There's very little actual management you can do if you are too busy trying to keep lines down up front (by hopping on register yourself) or coming in with stock crews trying to get things done. Doing things like schedules, emails, conference calls, training, etc can be very challenging to do. - Assistant managers are paid by the hour and not that much at that. They cannot work over 40 hours and only one of them (out of three) is full-time. They mainly help stock and handle opening and closing the store but in reality never do much else because turnover can be high with their low wage. - Managing shrink if you run a busy store is almost impossible since you cannot get the payroll to get the bodies in there to monitor for shoplifting. - I am a young person and the job has taken it's toll on me physically in the past year. Every time someone quits, gets fired, or you have hour cuts you are stuck to fill the gap. Forget about having a life or rest. You are supposed to work around 48 hours a week while I have regularly worked 55-70 hours a week even when it's not a busy seasonal time. - Stores with a frozen food section are particularly hard to run in comparison to stores without them. - Open regular business hours most holidays.

Advice to Management

Pay assistant managers more so there can be a core of management to give the store constant direction. It seems managers are having to hire cashiers right and left while District Managers scour the area for talent to fill assistant manager positions. Hiring ASMs without first meeting with the Store Manager is a bad idea, too. Revise your payroll structure, selling things for $1.00 doesn't mean you have to run a store with a skeleton crew 24/7. Consider that store managers are human beings with physical limitations.

3. Associate

Current Employee - Freight Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Freight Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dollar Tree (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everything is a dollar. Depending on which store the co - workers are amazing. Customers are funny and family like. Can move up quickly.

Cons

Depending on the manager the hours are not evenly spread out. Paid by weekly.

Advice to Management

I would like the option for a holiday meeting or office party event for team bonding

5. Part Time Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule is a plus.

Cons

The part time assistant managers get a heavy work load because they don't hurt payroll as much. No benefits or paid vacation.

6. cashier

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Great Bend, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Great Bend, KS

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, great merchandise, welcoming coworkers always in a great mood.

Cons

Some times gets a little cluttered but other than that its a great store.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. your doing a great job!

7. Working at Dollar Tree

Current Employee - Cashier in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Part time(up to 20 hrs), good work environment, good management team

Cons

Scheduling, during Operation Homefront if you want hours, you have to have the most donations which I do not think is fair.

8. Part time worker

I have been working at Dollar Tree

Pros

Short shifts, longer shifts if desired, not mant other pros.

Cons

Low wage, very bad temperature control (especially during the summer), staff change is somewhat frequent.

Advice to Management

More workers on simultaneously needed so store can actually get workdone.

9. not the best

Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Aberdeen, MD
    Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Aberdeen, MD

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

they are good at giving you the days off you ask for and scheduling around your needs (if you have kids and cant work certain days)

Cons

they take advantage of your work. the pay and hours are terrible. unless you are a higher up manager, there is no way you can make a living working at the Dollar Tree. The managers are also racist so if they don't like you or there is a problem don't expect to be treated well or have a job for long.

Horrifying experience.

Current Employee - New Hire
    Current Employee - New Hire

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to apply for - talk to the store manager. Make them laugh and don't let your nerves control you. Easy to get hired too.

Cons

You have to constantly check on your hiring status. They will say they hire you but the other managers won't even know so they will say the opposite. Don't expect to start the day they say you are going to.

Advice to Management

Be a little more organized. Tell your managers who is hired and give clear instructions to new hires on when to come in. Don't say "you are hired" and be silent for the next month. In that month, I could have found myself a job.

11. My honest opinion

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Humble, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Humble, TX

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Excellent management. Friendly working environment. Family-oriented store.

Cons

Not enough hours. Advancement opportunities are limited.

Advice to Management

Need to hire full-time workers. Part-time is incapable of helping people through this recession.

RSS Feed </> Embed