Dollar Tree

Updated January 27, 2015
2.6

Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser
Bob Sasser

Pros
  • 5 hour shifts make it easy to work around for part time job (in 14 reviews)

• As a part time employee there is a great deal of flexibility for scheduling (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • over worked so under payed (close to minimum wage if you don't speak up) (in 50 reviews)

• absolutely no training budget for new assistant managers (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Dollar Tree

Pros

Nothing good about this company

Cons

Overworked and no support from DM or Regional Director.

Stop cutting pay roll

OK for HS students

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you're a student, then this job is perfect. You'll have dome cash in your pocket without that much time distracting you away from your studies. I don't recommend it for college students, because you're weekly hours will only cover gas expenses. To a high school lid, that change may go further.

The job itself is easy, but it's the rediculous and honestly so rediculous it's pure comedy demands that make you feel like you're trying to work out a calculus problem with a missig variable...the answer will never be found.

The compamy is successful because it places it's stores in the right communities-poor ones. As long as there are poor people, Dollar Tree will flourish.

Cons

If you're store manager is a piece of dung, then consider the store a toilet bowl and you the toilet paper, because all management is going to do is use you to wipe their rear and flush you right out the door looking for something better.

CULTURE AND VALUES������ You'll laugh so hard at their non existence at the store level, tjat you'll cry.

If you started to pay your employees at leadt $1.00 more than minimum wage, them you'd be worth something as an employer. Work for minimum wage for 1 month. Good luck with that.

Cashier

I worked at Dollar Tree

Pros

Great flexibility, great jobs for students

Cons

Short shifts and low wages makes it hard to make a living for yourself while working there, no particular job description

Worse company Ever

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Claymont, DE
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Claymont, DE

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (less than a year)

Pros

cashiers are willing to always help management, everyone gets along like family except upper management, will work with school schedule, will work around religous commitments

Cons

Assistant managers do all the dirty work
    Everything you do is timed and causes stress, Pay is bad for what is expected from you, assistant managers unload trucks with very little help because of payroll, you go home hurt and tired everynight, disorganized

Tell assistant managers what is really expected of them during interview, use cashiers and stockers to unload trucks

Bad employees

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Anderson, SC
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Anderson, SC

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work hours were good and pay is not bad.

Cons

Lazy employees no one would do there job. The managers expect you to do everything.

Have better managers and demand your employees to do there job.

Want to be a Dollar Tree store manager? Think again...

Former Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Dollar Tree

Pros

Had the opportunity to hire and work with some great people

Cons

A Dollar Tree store manager is really just a glorified cashier/stocker who also has to find time to do everything else they are suppose to do. After my training I went to manage a store in a bad neighborhood with a high rate of shoplifting. The support was minimal and there was a great deal of what I call, 'monkey work' (fill out form Z on Monday, e-mail a list of X on Tuesday, sharpen pencils on Friday...you get the idea. Tasks that nobody would ever see and meant nothing). They say you have work-life balance, but there are a never ending "get this done before you go home" threats that make it almost impossible to work less than 10 or 11 hours a day. I had my fair share of 14 and 15 hours days as well. You are told you have to work six-days-a-week during the holidays, then they comp you ONE day to make up for it (thanks Dollar Tree!). They also love to talk about all the bonuses you can get, but the reality is that NONE of the 10 stores in my district were getting a bonus because of the impossible sales goals you have to meet. Assistant managers work like crazy for peanuts. The smart ones don't want to be promoted to store manager. Everyone gets hired at minimum wage and is very part-time. I guess the thing that really made me hate the job were the constant, not-so-veiled threats from the district manager and regional manager (get your sales up, OR ELSE...get your labor costs down, OR ELSE...get your product out, OR ELSE). Dollar Tree is retail at its worst. Long hours, crappy pay, crappy benefits, no bonuses and 24/7 pressure to get your numbers up (or else). Don't do it.

Pay your people better. Stop trying to run stores with no labor. Give your store managers a reason to work hard for you (other than not losing their job). Stop the charade about bonuses that are impossible to get.

if I were a kid?

I worked at Dollar Tree

Pros

the people I worked with directly were great. Like working with the public. Great place to work if you don't need money and have time to burn.

Cons

Corporate only seems to care about the money in their pocket. This is a billion dollar plus company and they pay less than Wal-Mart. You don't get 40 hours a weeks. If you have bills and like to eat this is not the place for you. This company doesn't value its employees. example: for Christmas the shift managers got cookies for a bonus and they don't even make $9.00 and hour.

Direct management at the store I say take all that great experience and work somewhere that you can get paid. To CORPORATE I SAY SHAME ON YOU! While the people working and making you billions put their all into it and are still eligible for government assistance. SHAME SHAME SHAME

Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay if you have retail management experience. Cashiers don't make more than minimum wage.

Cons

Long hours for store managers. Work nights & weekends. No time for family.

Bigger bonus. Store manager work their butts off. (Well at least most of us) very stressful during Xmas working mandatory 6 day work weeks.

Maanger

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Dollar Tree

Pros

Pay is good. Bonus opportunity. 15 percent discount on stock purchases. Always busy. Chance to show merchandising skills.

Cons

Hours
    You work all the time. You have a ton of employees that work less than 15 hours a week so they are never available when you need them.

More full time positions. Salary assistant managers so they can work more as needed. Each store needs 3.

Amazing but.. dirty

Current Employee - Stocker/Truck Unloader in Siloam Springs, AR
    Current Employee - Stocker/Truck Unloader in Siloam Springs, AR

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, keeps you going, great weight loss job when stocking and unloading truck.

Cons

Poor pay, poor hours, poor corporate... big corporate small care for its employees

Practice what you preach. Do the work you order your employees to do. Or at least know how to do it right.

Dollar Tree Photos