Dollar Tree Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
2.7

Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser
Bob Sasser

Pros
  • 5 hour shifts make it easy to work around for part time job (in 13 reviews)

• As a part time employee there is a great deal of flexibility for scheduling (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The starting pay is minimum wage and you only get the barest on raises once a year (in 44 reviews)

• I feel as though the company or just the local upper management (unsure which it is really (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a fair workplace at all folks (2 months of work)

Former Employee - Cashier in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Detroit, MI

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I got paid for 10 hours a week

Cons

The management is dirt poor and expects WAYY too much out of the associates. Managers can play on their bluetooth headsets and joke with friends who work there.

How do you expect anyone to ring up patrons, take ballon orders, stock shelves, clean impulse,answer the phone, and on evenings; vaccum and mop the store. Then when your 50 arms and legs give out, they fire you and send you out.

They dont train you at all. You get some time with the pointless CPU training sim and 2 chopped shifts on the register and then BAM you are on your own in the furnace.

Anytime you ask for cashier assistance or to take your generous 10 minute break, management will seem as if you spit in their face and slapped them.

The drawer over or under max of 3 dollars is ridiculous when on some days you do over 3k and you're slammed and struggling to bag items, give correct change, and tell them about the survey on the reciept. There needs to be wiggle room because that is a job killer. Max should 3 on normal days and 6 on hellish days.

The hours suck, you get maybe 10-15 a week and thats if they like you.

Treat your associates with respect and like normal HUMAN BEINGS. Have patience and actually train them. They cannot hold that job or their sanity with minimal training and a plethora of odd tasks to do. Staff more people per shift and give the newbies a break. They arent used to doing 10+ jobs at once and some havent worked retail until you snatched them up.
    STAY OFF YOUR PHONES, just because You run a bargain store doesnt make you better than that cashier over there sweating and fearing losing their job over the massive workload you have bestowed on them.

More hours. Nobody can live off a 20 hour check

Dollar tree was a job.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Dollar Tree

Pros

There was more then enough down time, shifts were short, not many people on one shift so not really any one standing over your shoulder.

Cons

Pay was minimal, hours were few are far between, management and store procedures where sub par.

Need more budgeted hours, better procedure and better management screening.

Hired as a cashier but spent a day unloading a delivery truck.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crofton, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crofton, MD

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice coworkers, manager was flexible with hours

Cons

Manual labor, low pay, long hours

With the acquisition of the new chain of dollar stores, I think an increase in pay (especially for those who have to unload that ridiculous truck) is in order.

Pay doesnt reflect the hard work put in...........

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joliet, IL

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Its a Job and has Steady work...

Cons

The managers show favoritism
    Male managers hit on the female workers
    It seems like making quota isnt good enough
    You can easily get fired if you are new
    Some employees are immature and classless and managers find it entertaining
    They take advantage of the temp service process
    They use the temps for odd jobs with no intent to hire them long term.................I could go on and on.

Work life balance sucks

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time

Pros

price & value of the products can be quite good. There is a tremendous amount of room to grow and it is easy to move up in position.

Cons

no work life balance, no benefits even for ASM (keyholder) or cashiers or stockers, crappy hours, no shift rotation. The district manager is extremely hard to get a hold of and doesn't return emails or phone calls. Once you reach a level of management, the hours get horrible because the manager will not rotate the shifts giving all ASMs a fair amount of day and night shifts. They'll put mostly night shifts on one person disallowing them the same work life balance that every other employee gets.

Take care of employees and provide benefits to all

Demanding

Current Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Williamsport, PA
    Current Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Williamsport, PA

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great way to learn how the business of retail is managed. General Managers have their hands in every area of the retail experience.

Cons

The company is cheap!
    The clientele is demanding and disrespectful.
    90% of the job is spent pushing freight to the floor

Okay for a temporary job, but not much else.

Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Tyler, TX
    Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Tyler, TX

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dollar Tree is a great place to work if you are a high school or college student. They are flexible with scheduling and management is reasonable and competent. You gain experience in retail sales and customer service and also cashiering.

Cons

The starting pay is minimum wage and you only get the barest on raises once a year. Upper management isn't very clued in to what goes into stocking. Hours are often cut if the store doesn't make its sales goals. There isn't enough time given to stock the shelves, so merchandise often sits in the stock room collecting dust.

I would advise management to consider starting pay based on experience and raises based on how the employee is doing. I would also like to see raises given out every 6 months or so.

Okay entry level JOB, not career

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Berea, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Berea, OH

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As long as you have a district manager that comes in the store and does what they are supposed to do then the store will operate smoothly employees are happy and everything is good. Pay is not excellent but it also is not terrible compared to other employers.

Cons

Crazy retail hours...not being able to call off or take full vacations

Corporate should be on top of their store level operations. There is a lot of theft and employees working off the clock, and other unethical things going on...get on top of things, your losing amazing workers because of this!!!!!!!!!!

Store manager
    Working for Dollar Tree is a challenge every day.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stable company with lots of opportunity for advancement regardless of tenure. Good monthly bonus program.

Cons

Very tight payroll, the current freight processing system needs to be overhauled. The company needs to have security in urban and city stores to reduce high shrink.

Listen to your Store managers and value their input after all we are the ones running your stores. Proper Freight processing is vital for the store's profitability therefore it is extremely important to have seperate freight hours based on the size of the weekly deliveries.

Company lacks structure

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I loved how easy/simple any and all of the work was and customers were great.

Cons

Corporate, HR department did not care too much about employees. Sometimes I would be forced to work Open-Close multiple days in a row, they made me quit my outside job/hobby because they wanted to dominate my time, and they made me stop going to church on Sunday mornings because I was required to work instead.

Your employees are valuable! Value them! Especially your long-term LOYAL employees that stuck with you for many years only to be treated like trash and set up to be fired or terminated.

Dollar Tree Photos