www.dollartree.com

Updated November 23, 2014
2.7

Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser
Bob Sasser

Pros
  • 5 hour shifts make it easy to work around for part time job (in 14 reviews)

• As a part time employee there is a great deal of flexibility for scheduling (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • over worked so under payed (close to minimum wage if you don't speak up) (in 50 reviews)

• absolutely no training budget for new assistant managers (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Its a great store I wouldn't mind shopping there

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The store is great
    Good employees
     Good parking

Cons

Need more workers
    Not enough carts

You should hire more employees like me

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker/Sales Associate in O Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker/Sales Associate in O Fallon, MO

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They pay you for each and every minute you work, even if you work over your time to get off.

Cons

None to report. Great job to work at.

Offer benefits and vacation to part-time employees

Management cannot make up it's mind.

Former Employee - Cashier in Seymour, IN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Seymour, IN

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everything that they wanted you to do was outlined for you and you always had SOMETHING to do. You were never worried about just standing around

Cons

We had worksheets of things that the management wanted us to do, but they would always forget to give it out. You would work for 3 hours and the management would have a ton of things for you to accomplish between serving customers and would rarely understand when you wouldn't have time to complete a certain task.

Very good

I have been working at Dollar Tree

Pros

Works well with schedule from school or another job

Cons

Pay could be a lot better. Benefits for part time would be nice also.

Loved the job.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Macedon, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Macedon, NY

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dollar Tree is a good place to work, raises every sixth months to a year.

Cons

Dollar Tree pays the bare minimum. If you are not looking to pay bills and just have a little extra money in your pocket, then this is the job for you.

Raise wages, especially for manages, the pay for management is deplorable!!

Cashier

I have been working at Dollar Tree

Pros

Hours,people, management,customers I don't know what to say

Cons

Pay and schedule I don't know what to say

Pay more and schedule more hours

Good Starter

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Kent, WA

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Its a good starting point for a job and its easy to move up as long as your doing everthing right and its being noticed. I started working last November and i ended up becoming an Assistant Manager 7 or 8 months later.

Cons

The customers always expect for you treat them like high and mighty at all times, theres only so much you can do, reguardless of what it is some customers are never fully satisfied so it can get a little crazy in there.

Stay ontop of everything and make sure you know everything there is to know about your position.

I had a good experience working at the dollar tree enjoyed both assistant managers.

Former Employee - Cashier in Derby, KS
    Former Employee - Cashier in Derby, KS

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed being a cashier and meeting a lot of different people

Cons

pay rate was not good and they did not offer enough hours.

compensation should be greater and allow those who need more hours to get them.

Dollar Shysters

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have nothing positive to say

Cons

I never received a bonus in two years with the company, they could not consistently supply me with Helium and I was in a high volume balloon store. Interestingly low volume store were getting helium at the same time, hmm.. Most of the managers in my district were no longer bonusing but they're buying Family Dollar, hmm One manager in the district made 14k less than the previous year. I wasted two years with these snakes.

Stop lying to your management about bonus potential. Stop manipulating the supply of Helium.

Fun first Job!

Former Employee - Cashier in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Seattle, WA

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

*The store manager always tried to be flexible with my hours when I had an unexpected church event, that was a huge plus for me. If you were going to school, they could accommodate that as well!
    *If you're an honest hard worker, they could move you up to assistant store manager which they offered me as a part time job.
    *It was fun how I was a cashier and some times they would have me come in a little earlier and just stock for my shift. It's great to do something else.
    *UNIFORMS! Now, you do have to buy it yourself. They require black pants or khakis and any color green or white polo/ button down shirt. It's nice to wear uniform at work because you won't have to ruin any of your good clothes at work.
    *You leave 30 minutes after the store closes to clean up and put stuff back in it's place.

Cons

*The pay is minimum wage, don't expect anything else.
    *The times I got were only 4 and a half hour shifts. I was a part time employee so I could not go over 21 hours a week.
    *I showed up to work once wearing a hoodie which one of the assistant managers told me that I could not wear. I forgot the reason she told me but this was in October (I live in Seattle, it's chilly here) and she made me take it off. Now you can avoid being cold while still being in dress code by wearing a long sleeve green polo or button down or a long sleeve shirt underneath. I always wore green long sleeve shirt underneath so I wouldn't have any problems with "store color" and blah.
    *You have to wear this black apron if you don't buy the Dollar Tree shirt with the logo on it. I didn't buy the shirt because it was $20 something and the shirt I got at Ross was cheaper. I didn't plan on staying here for long, that's why I didn't invest in the shirt. (You could put your phone inside your apron, they don't like having your phone visible from your butt pocket).
    *I don't know if every Dollar Tree is like this, but every shift I worked I was the only cashier. It was kind of scary at night because there was only two Dollar Tree employees. The Store Manager would come and stay at times but most of the times, it's only you and the Assistant store manager.

Thanks for being so flexible with my hours when I needed but consider looking at all your hard working employees and provide them with bonuses or raises to encourage that and to help make them committed to Dollar Tree so they won't try to find a better job that pays better.

Dollar Tree Photos