Dollar Tree Reviews

Reset
2.6
Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser
Bob Sasser

Pros
  • A good team of cashiers that are friendly and easy to work with (in 14 reviews)

• 5 hour shifts make it easy to work around for part time job (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • over worked so under payed (close to minimum wage if you don't speak up) (in 50 reviews)

• And never work for a store with so many hateful comments about black people from some of the assistant managers (in 39 reviews)

1. Part Time Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spanaway, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spanaway, WA

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time

Pros

Get to work with the customer's, enjoy helping them with their needs. I like that the Dollar Tree is a debt free company.

Cons

It only pays minimum wage and there is very few hours a week

Advice to Management

Everyone needs to be on the same page for all shift's

Unfair termination practices

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Everett, WA

I worked at Dollar Tree (Less than a year)

Pros

small stores,, a tiny group of employees. so I had a good time with most. hours are flexible, and you can easily move up. I made assistant manager in about 6 months.

Cons

a lot of favoritism. I got terminated after only 1 write-up. Others had countless write ups and are still there, and a lot of the write ups they had were for drug and alcohol use.

Advice to Management

treat people more equally.

Unorganized and uncoordinated

Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people who are hard workers here.

Cons

The boss is so busy he doesn't train his employees correctly.

Advice to Management

Pay close attention to the new hires and give people who want to work full time the hours they need to make it a full time job.

NO Work/Life balance, chaos, unrealistic expectations

Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job.Paycheck.That is all. You will hate your life if you work here!

Cons

Everything! As a store mgr you will have no days off, store is always calling you at all hours. Horribly run company. Horrible training. No support from upper management. No payroll to run an over million dollar a year store. Constantly asked to help other stores. Good luck taking any vacation time you earn. DO NOT WORK HERE.

Advice to Management

Treat associates like they are people. Listen to your employees or you won't have any to run your China based organization!

6. Customer Care Assistant/Cashier

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Puyallup, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Puyallup, WA

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great fast pace environment. Diverse range of customers. Daily employee bonuses.

Cons

Long hours when an employee calls in sick, or schedule conflicts.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if employers could manage employee's work schedules better. Single moms shouldn't have to work late hours just because other employee's that are students request nights and evenings off. They're in school during the day, why cant they work evenings and nights? Seems only fair moms should be given the same options as well, especially since child care is not only expensive, but hard to find good childcare in the evenings and nights, and especially on short notice if they are called in to fill in for an employee (student) that couldn't make their shift. Just be more understanding of your employees, and there would be lot less scheduling conflict and issues. I feel this would also decrease the turn over rate at which employees are hired and fired/quit.

Great Experience , Poor Management.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kent, WA

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great starter job and thats it.

Cons

Hours are crappy for associates and asst managers. I worked at dollar tree for a year, for the first 7 months I worked as a cashier, frozen food captin and clipstrip captin and than I applied to be an Assistant Manager and got the position. It was all good for a while but things started to take a turn for the worst. I was told I was going to be full time but was only working part time hours, the pay was okay but it wasn't much of an increase from an associate. My store manager was not the best after a while always complaining about things that was her responsibility. It's not hard to move up in this store and there is a really high turn over as well. Also some of the newer asst were qualified for things that i wasn't and i had been there longer and in the asst manager position longer.

Advice to Management

Change your attitude and give a fair pay to everyone who deserves it.

8. Under paid and over worked.

Current Employee - Ast Manager in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Ast Manager in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of one thing.

Cons

Being a current employee for dollar tree, I would like to remain anonymous. As far as the deals go, it's great. Working there is a whole different story. And it's not just the retail it's the way the company treats you. I have been an ast. Manager for 4 years now and still haven't managed to get $1.00 raise. $0.15 raise each year for all my hard work. I dedicated so much of my time to this company and they say thank you with $.15cents. I work 40hours a week, and it is not enough to support myself none the less a family. It's a Constant struggle to pay the bills. The associates at dollar tree get a standard raise! So another associate doing half the work is getting the same raise as someone like myself who is working twice as hard, taking on more responsibility; it's unfair! I work @ a very successful store, where we always strive for higher standards. It's just disappointing to know that we are underappreciated.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better!

9. Fun first Job!

Former Employee - Cashier in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Seattle, WA

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*The store manager always tried to be flexible with my hours when I had an unexpected church event, that was a huge plus for me. If you were going to school, they could accommodate that as well! *If you're an honest hard worker, they could move you up to assistant store manager which they offered me as a part time job. *It was fun how I was a cashier and some times they would have me come in a little earlier and just stock for my shift. It's great to do something else. *UNIFORMS! Now, you do have to buy it yourself. They require black pants or khakis and any color green or white polo/ button down shirt. It's nice to wear uniform at work because you won't have to ruin any of your good clothes at work. *You leave 30 minutes after the store closes to clean up and put stuff back in it's place.

Cons

*The pay is minimum wage, don't expect anything else. *The times I got were only 4 and a half hour shifts. I was a part time employee so I could not go over 21 hours a week. *I showed up to work once wearing a hoodie which one of the assistant managers told me that I could not wear. I forgot the reason she told me but this was in October (I live in Seattle, it's chilly here) and she made me take it off. Now you can avoid being cold while still being in dress code by wearing a long sleeve green polo or button down or a long sleeve shirt underneath. I always wore green long sleeve shirt underneath so I wouldn't have any problems with "store color" and blah. *You have to wear this black apron if you don't buy the Dollar Tree shirt with the logo on it. I didn't buy the shirt because it was $20 something and the shirt I got at Ross was cheaper. I didn't plan on staying here for long, that's why I didn't invest in the shirt. (You could put your phone inside your apron, they don't like having your phone visible from your butt pocket). *I don't know if every Dollar Tree is like this, but every shift I worked I was the only cashier. It was kind of scary at night because there was only two Dollar Tree employees. The Store Manager would come and stay at times but most of the times, it's only you and the Assistant store manager.

Advice to Management

Thanks for being so flexible with my hours when I needed but consider looking at all your hard working employees and provide them with bonuses or raises to encourage that and to help make them committed to Dollar Tree so they won't try to find a better job that pays better.

10. Freight Crew - hard work, little hours and pay.

Former Employee - Freight Processor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Freight Processor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a first-hand look at the shipments coming in and a bit about how the store operates. It's definitely a workout, if you're looking for one.

Cons

Working freight rarely resulted in getting more than 12 hours per week, with little pay, and working at the crack of dawn to get the new shipment sorted out. Once the manager quit, freight hours were cut down to the bone and backroom conditions deteriorated rapidly as a result. The store seems to be doing much better a year later. Theft paranoia led to some questionable policies. At least at the time, the company was using very personal information for timecard login; the same type of info, as per company policy, was used to register every purchase made by an employee even as they were leaving the store. Times may have changed, though.

Advice to Management

Please use a random alphanumeric sequence in place of personal info for login credentials.

11. high paced

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in University Place, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in University Place, WA

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

very happy environment, fast paced. Great bosses

Cons

so much to do so little time. Not the best paying job..

Advice to Management

keep busting you butts

RSS Feed </> Embed