Dollarama

Updated January 17, 2015
Updated January 17, 2015
2.9

Larry Rossy

Pros
  • Great Co-workers, Company follows labour laws (in 5 reviews)

• Lots of opportunity to interact and meet new people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Dollarama store employees are paid minimum wage to start and only receive a wage increase of 10 cents a year (in 5 reviews)

• The only con for me is lack of hours at times, especially after christmas (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Boring, predictable work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kitchener, MS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kitchener, MS

I worked at Dollarama part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Learn how to cope with busy customer service hours, meet new people, practice cashier skills, good for starting point if it's the first job

Cons

Tiring, repetitive, dull, not mentally-challenging, typical retail position; not recommended for those become overwhelmed by large crowds and sometimes angry customers

The same as every other person that reviewed it here

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Kitchener, MS
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Kitchener, MS

I have been working at Dollarama part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They hire often because of frequent turnover

Cons

Unsafe working conditions, Poor communications, Over Abundance of criticism with no praise or thanks for good work. Employees are constantly accused of stealing or suspected of stealing and yet they have no decent loss prevention programs for shoplifters. Every day the policies change and they make it harder to meet the expectations of added workload and shorter hours to do it in. The have no strategy to deal with completing work during busy hours while customer demand for staff time is high

Teach your regional managers to communicate better with staff and help with team building skills. Come and learn about the unsafe conditions of limited space, poor equipment and bad skid packing. Put All managers through a week at cash during the busiest seasons... then make them stock shelves during a busy season and be called to back up cash. And give store managers the right to carry a phone so that the cashier doesn't have to answer calls all day long from head office, other store managers, regional managers ... The main cashier has now become the store manager's secretary! The phone rings constantly for Store managers and Cashiers have to answer it much more frequently while dealing with line ups at cash... Even customers are getting frustrated with this.

nice job

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Dollarama part-time (less than a year)

Pros

the jobs are'nt tough.
    easy to learn.

Cons

not much hours.
    too much adjustment

Fast paced

I worked at Dollarama (more than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, learn about CPG, mass merchandising

Cons

Not very organized, HO needs to be better at standardization, need to do a better job of taking care of store staff.

Great learning and development

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Dollarama full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extreamly demanding and always challenging. The company is always changing and bettering itself as a whole. The atmosphere of each store depends on the management team in place and the exicution of its team.

Cons

Lack of full communication between head office and the customer front makes exicution and maintenence of a proper running store difficult at times.

Better ways to service our customers, exchange procedures in place that will not affect our scan rates or paper voids. Weekly price changes instead of daily so management can better control descrepencys, and ability to see for casted weekly budgeted hours to maintain seasoned staff members and better plan drastic drops or increases in budget.

Good Start Out Job

I worked at Dollarama

Pros

easy tasks. Mainly just restocking items and working at the cash register when it gets busy.

Cons

Paid minimum wage, have to do grunt work that just takes a lot of time to do. Cleaning aisles for example, both sweeping and mopping

nothing really, they are what they are

Good experience

Former Employee - Store Manager in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)

I worked at Dollarama full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Paid overtime for managers. Very security minded. Provide decent training. Christmas bonus and other bonuses.

Cons

Lots of stock. Nothing else really.

Listen to your store managers.

Experience depends on manager

Former Employee - Associate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Associate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Dollarama

Pros

Provides you with exposure to an entry level position and work at a retail position, experience working in various roles (cashier, inventory, warehousing, opening/closing)

Cons

As an entry-level job, the compensation is low and there are few benefits. The particular store that I worked at was very poorly managed by the manager who worked there. I was consistently called in to work a shift on very short notice (for example, on the day of). He had a very negative, condescending attitude towards the other employees and spent most of his own shifts sitting around in his office twiddling his thumbs, occasionally peeking out to yell at the employees. Most of the people that worked at the store disliked the manager. I worked in the back with inventory, sweating my butt off, yet the manager was never satisfied. It felt like a sweatshop. Very dissatisfied working there.

Hire better managers

Frustrating

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Dollarama full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great morale among my coworkers, although most of our discussions are about how much we hate our jobs. Store manager is reasonable about time off (for associates). Would be a good part-time job.

Cons

If you are promoted to anything higher than associate be prepared to work 50 + hrs a week to meet all of the many demands that will be put upon you by upper management. My DM has admitted to having never run an actual store before, and it shows. You will never work hard enough, there will always be some restrictive company policy you messed up on or something that you couldn't get around to after 10 hours of running around doing stock, paperwork, inventory, conflict resolution, registers, customer service, cleaning, etc.

I have been working here for three years and have received 30 cents in raises. My coworker who has worked here for the same length of time has received 10 cents.

It is very clear that you do not care about your employees. Considering you make most of your money at the store level, perhaps it would be wise to care less about checking your EMPLOYEES' bags at the end of their shift for stolen merchandise, and more about making sure they have the hours and manpower to complete all of your unreasonable demands.

Store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Dollarama full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers, good pay. Never a dull moment, there is always something to keep busy. Great regular customers.

Cons

Work load expectations are unrealistic, not enough hours to give staff. Very physical demanding job.

I am fortunate to have a great district manger who understands the the demands of being a store manager. With that being said not much help is given to ensure those expectations are being met. Not much is given for training, it's kind of a sink or swim situation. There is a great bouns system in place but it is very hard to attain it, and the company should offer a dental plan for employees