Dollarama Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014
2.7

Larry Rossy

I really enjoy working as a cashier at Dollarama

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Dollarama part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people I work with are very friendly and helpful. We all get along even though there are people there that are 18 to 59. I have only worked there 6 months. It is my first retail job. I am the oldest person working there and the last person hired..so I can't comment much on benefits, promotions etc...but when I asked for extra hours during the summer, as I am only part time, I got them!

Cons

I don't get enough hours. Very busy...non stop at cash....I am in a very big store in a large mall....I don't like when I am scheduled for a shift that closes the store and the keyholders tell us to punch out earlier...as I lose money...

To the store manager....there are too many people working here...too many of us only have 1 shift a week...get rid of the slackers!

The same as every other person that reviewed it here

Current Employee - Head Cashier  in  Kitchener, MS
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Kitchener, MS

I have been working at Dollarama part-time for more than a year

Pros

They hire often because of frequent turnover

Cons

Unsafe working conditions, Poor communications, Over Abundance of criticism with no praise or thanks for good work. Employees are constantly accused of stealing or suspected of stealing and yet they have no decent loss prevention programs for shoplifters. Every day the policies change and they make it harder to meet the expectations of added workload and shorter hours to do it in. The have no strategy to deal with completing work during busy hours while customer demand for staff time is high

Teach your regional managers to communicate better with staff and help with team building skills. Come and learn about the unsafe conditions of limited space, poor equipment and bad skid packing. Put All managers through a week at cash during the busiest seasons... then make them stock shelves during a busy season and be called to back up cash. And give store managers the right to carry a phone so that the cashier doesn't have to answer calls all day long from head office, other store managers, regional managers ... The main cashier has now become the store manager's secretary! The phone rings constantly for Store managers and Cashiers have to answer it much more frequently while dealing with line ups at cash... Even customers are getting frustrated with this.

DO not work here if you can avoid it

Former Employee - Keyholder  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Dollarama full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pro of Dollarama is the staff... you can meet great people and make good friends but other than that nothing is good about this company

Cons

Everything. The store managers are put under so much pressure because of the stupid policies the company operates under. The company consistently does not provide the stores with enough hours to staff the store and then complains when the stores do not meet sales targets. Dollarama "shows" a profit because they make up for any overages by forcing the stores to cut hours so the company can meet quarterly targets. No, I'm not making it up, I've been in management. They have an annual raise system of no more than 10 cents per hour and even then I never received mine. I had to go through two different DM's, two different store managers and head office and never received my mandatory 10 cent raise... I quit after 8 months of fighting for it.

The DM'S constantly compare and pit stores against each other which is unprofessional, not right and unfair. Like a person, each store is unique in it's own way, and the DM's do not respect that. They have unreasonable demands and expectations and are not open to communication as well as a store manager defending themselves. In a DM's eye if they tell you to do something, you should do it, and the fact that they've cut your store hours that week by 50% should make no difference. I wonder half the time if ANY DM has EVER actually worked in a Dollarama as a peon at any point in their career. I can safely say that in my district there was only ONE DM who had actually held a job in a store, the rest all came from WalMart.

The RM's are even worse than the DM's, having no clue about what it takes to actually run and operate a store. The store managers are required to work 50 hours, the assistant anywhere from 25-44 and full timers must receive a minimum of 25... when a store is operates 85-90 hours/week, has one store manager, one assistant manager and at least two full timers... and is only given approx 280-300 hours to run their store on a weekly schedule... and assuming the two full timers are keyholders then 125 to 134 hours have been eaten up already... the rest has to be used to fill the gaps... you have to have two people in the store at all times and one must be on cash during open hours... it's no surprise that customers are constantly complaining about being able to find an associate or a product... and yet the RM's don't care AT ALL they just want you to meet your productivity, come in under your hours and come in over your sales.... unrealistic.

The associates and keyholders (and a keyholder is management) do not get paid enough. They work in aisles that have no definitive planogram or modular... are given guidelines or suggestions called "flow charts" and are expected to decipher that and fill the aisle... the flow charts are BS because they are open to that individuals perspective and god help you if it's not the same as that of the DM or RM because then you're redoing all that hard work. A day in the life of a Dollarama employee involves constantly designing and redesigning 4' sections, constantly pushing carts and lifting boxes, constantly squatting and bending and climbing ladders... all for minimum wage... and as there are never enough hours, you can't get your work done because you are constantly being called for back up cash. Head office and Mr. Rossy does not trust it's stores or their employees at all and do not allow their stores to have any control over inventory. They have no ordering authority, no way to track product and EVERY DAY must count random product by hand because there is no formal POS inventory system. The stores get shipped product every day and are expected to work it everyday and the best part is, it's based on numbers they received from the store 3-7 weeks ago, and decided upon by a person in Montreal. More often than not the store receive stuff they don't need and are constantly waiting for the stuff they do need. Whereas that could all be avoided if they let the stores order their own product or replenished on a scan to POS ordering system.

Dollarama may look good in the papers, the stocks, even the financial magazines... but they are so archaic and are so afraid to change. They are a mom and pop shop mentality in a big box world. They need to make SO many changes and stop worrying about the investors and start caring for they employee.... happy wife, happy life... happy employees will work harder for you.... unhappy employees will do like me, tell EVERYONE they can not to work for Dollarama EVER!!!

Read my above review and start listening to the people who are actually out working in the stores... increase your pays to above minimum wage for associates, higher that 12 for keyholders, more than 13 for ASM's and 16 for SM Are you kidding me Such a joke. However, I'm preaching to the choir... as long as the upper management get their bonuses... which they only get by making their associates suffer... they don't care... It's ridiculous and sadly will never change... they have a "someone will always need a job" mentality so we were all replaceable... and I'm quoting that from a DM who told me those words themself

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

used

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Dollarama full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

the women I worked with were some of the most hard working and wonderful people I have ever met

Cons

the company is constantly wanting you to give them more, more time, faster at breaking the skids, breaking more and more skids, the boxes are never ending, they have unattainable goals for their workers. You can put away 100 boxes but they will want 150. I know this, I was an assistant manager and hours are kept as low as possible so that someone would have 8 hours to put away a certain amount, but then would cut it to 6 hours and expect the same performance. They drop like flies hurting their feet, knees, elbows, arms and any other parts that are constantly working. They don't care because as a district manager told me, everyone there is replaceable.....

Since your company went public, you expect much too much from all your employees, from managers to asst. managers, keyholders to stock workers....To get the most from your workers it is always like the old saying goes, you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar....the christmas party...what christmas party. For all the work they do for you giving dollarama cards as a bonus is disgusting, same goes for the visa cards...As a former asst. manager, I was required to do all that the manager did, including nights, weekends and be just as responsible for the store itself, my blnus amounts were a joke, you should all be ashamed of yourselves....I hope your stock holders care that they make all their money on the backs of hard working people, they are no different from the people that use children as slave labor...tsk tsk tsk

Retails personal form of hell

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Brantford, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brantford, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Dollarama full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It all depends on what store you work at, and who your DM is. If you have a crappy DM, then you're going to have a crappy experience. Overall, aside from the daily drama that you endure day after day working at Dollarama, the job isn't all that bad.

Cons

The only con for me is lack of hours at times, especially after christmas. Each full-time employee is dropped down to the 25-30 zone, and some of the part time staff are dropped down to one shift, or no shifts. They make more than enough money to get rid of this budgeting system.

Stop expecting so much work out've so little hours. We can only do so much, and when you expect 50 hours worth of work in 32 hours consistently, you're going to burn your employees out.

Good job for high-school student

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Dollarama part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy work, and can be fun if you get a good team to work with. The hours are good since the stores generally close fairly early.

Cons

Tasks are extremely repetitive. Not really anywhere to move up, not that you should really want to. A good job to make some money in high-school and then get out once something better comes along.

First impressions

Current Employee - Distributer  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Distributer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Dollarama full-time for less than a year

Pros

My only reason for working here is because I don't speak French. The people are helpful and they give you hands on training with in 30min. The jobs easy enough working in the warehouse gives me time to my self which is nice.

Cons

Can't really think of any. I'm a fast learner so some of the repetitive teaching style is a little much.

No recognition.

Current Employee - Key Holder  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Dollarama part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, good for students.

Cons

No recognition, senior staff are lazy, favoritism.

Get rid of employees who aren't doing their share of work, just because they've worked there for 5 years doesn't mean they should get a free ride.

Great experience at Dollarama, good company

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Dollarama part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Good employee benefits
    -Flexible schedules
    -Great co-workers

Cons

-gets very busy, however this is a given for a big retail store such as dollarama.

Terrible pay for the expected work.

Former Employee - Keyholder  in  Langley, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Langley, BC (Canada)

I worked at Dollarama part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people. Clean Store. Customers are good majority of the time. Head office had a few executives come in occasionally and treated everyone well.

Cons

Low pay for the amount of work given. As a Keyholder , it was not in the job description that I was expected to do daily book keeping, in which I was given very inadequate training on. Inadequate training overall... 4 days and was expected to know their system meanwhile nearly no training on handling conflicts/errors until they actually happen. Horribly unbalanced wage for the work expected. Found out this position has a high turnover because of this. Management doesnt show concern as they seem satisfied as long as they are collecting their paycheck for 'doing their job". The in store cashiers make the same wage for doing a fraction of the work as a keyholder.

Most employees there are first-job high school students and management is 'older' people with physical limitations that have narrowed their job options.

Pay proper wages for the work expected and allocate proper training as well as give trinaing on handling issues when they arise.. not wait until an issue happens and then on-the-spot train.

Worked for Dollarama? Contribute to the Community!