Dominican University of California

Dominican University of California Reviews

Updated Feb 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Collegial environment, bringing organization in line with the modern world

I have been working at Dominican University of California

ProsColleagues in academic world are genuinely committed to students and strengthening of the University. Relatively strong new president with a challenging board of trustees. Some great staff members who tirelessly support the mission.

ConsHR function worse than bad and totally bloated while the rest of the organization is tightening its belt. I don't know of anyone who feels they can trust HR or its "leaders", rely on HR to do its job or rely on expertise of HR. Hiring is a nightmare. Many strong candidates lost because of lack of professionalism and support in HR. Weak technology department. Dorms in disrepair which causes students to move off campus. Weak admissions department.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on students.

A small university with big potential

I have been working at Dominican University of California for more than a year

ProsIt's a creative, intellectually stimulating environment. The campus is situated in a picturesque park-like setting. The staff and faculty are friendly and help support each other. Nice perks include use of the athletic facilities, free access to performing arts, some public lectures and reduced tuition, or the option to audit classes.

ConsCertain departments are understaffed and underfunded. Getting policies and procedures approved can be arduous. Pay rates (other than faculty) for this non-profit University is under industry standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere could be better communication around career development. For staff retention, the cost of higher compensation should be compared to the cost/time for hiring new staff and determining the overall negative impact on business.

Adjunct faculty

Adjunct Professor (Former Employee)
San Rafael, CA

I worked at Dominican University of California as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsNew science building has all the necessary services and tools to provide a great lecture. Great group of students in the MS in biology. Program has grown significantly in the last 4 years.

ConsAlmost no interaction with other adjunct or full-time faculty. Parking can be issue from 8 to 5 pm

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Like Family

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee)
San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Dominican University of California part-time for less than a year

ProsExtremely friendly, welcoming, supportive environment for new teachers

ConsNone, things have been really wonderful

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Its a bureaucratic place, but the professors and most staff love what they do.

Financial Tutor (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dominican University of California

ProsIts a beautiful campus and they are making tons of great changes in the admin department. They have an awesome new president who is really making waves, in a good way. The old president needed to go and was super old school and not popular.

ConsIt is an academic environment, which isn't inherently bad, just means there is a lot of bureaucracy, a lot! So be prepared for slowing moving processes that need to be approved by 10 different people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep shaking up the over-sized administration department and put more emphasis on the students experience so they leave with a great feeling about their alma mater.

My department offers a nice transition into the Career field for new professionals.

Career Counselor (Current Employee)

ProsSmall, community-oriented environment
Open communication and dissemination of information
Much of the staff and faculty are continual learners

ConsSome processes are behind the times--need upgrades as far as streamlining processes like methods of communication

It has been a learning experience!

I have been working at Dominican University of California

ProsGreat colleagues (for the most part)
Great pleace to grow because of the small school environment = a lot of opportunity to be creative.

ConsAdministrators compensation is beyond excessive!
Growth in student population doesn't mean growth in staff to support students.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize what and where we are as an institution of higher education. We are not Berkeley, Stanford, or USF. Work with what we've got!

Wonderful Community, Faculty Grossly Underpaid

I have been working at Dominican University of California as a contractor for more than 8 years

ProsAmazing community of students, faculty, and admin. Colleagues are like family. Beautiful campus conducive to study. One-on-one faculty and student rapport. Faculty have a real commitment to students. A peaceful place to work but . . .

Cons. . . Faculty members are grossly underpaid, especially adjuncts, many of whom have hung in there for several years with "promises" of significant pay increases that have not come to pass. No benefits for adjuncts. Adjuncts make 2/3's or less of other Bay Area adjunct positions, not even counting the absence of benefits and recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet serious about wage increases for adjuncts - we've been more than patient for a very long time. It's becoming embarrassing, don't you think? Dominican is a private, high tuition institution that should make a better effort of practicing what it preaches, beginning with fair pay for its dedicated faculty committed to the students and to the Dominican values.

Worked for Dominican University of California? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dominican University of California reviews and ratings. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Dominican University of California employees.