Dominican University of California

Updated February 8, 2015
Updated February 8, 2015
3.5

CEO

The faculty and staff are being destroyed by bully tactics, management by gossip, and dictatorship

I worked at Dominican University of California (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a beautiful small university. Things became bad towards the last several years of the previous president. We were all filled with hope and prepared for the hard work of strengthening our university under a new president and new leadership. Unfortunately, things have not gone well and many are losing hope.

Cons

The current leadership = robotic, vicious, yes (wo)men.

HR witch hunts are allowed and this has created an environment of fear. Expect retaliation for critical thought. Several departments have been divided and nearly destroyed by HR plotting people against each other. The power structure is becoming increasingly odd.

Stop chopping off the heads of people who know how to move us toward the future.

I encourage faculty, in particular, to communicate with Board members. The cabinet is behaving like a middle-school clique. I encourage staff to document all HR and managerial missteps and work together to remove the bullying, hostile mentality.

Small minded and political

I worked at Dominican University of California full-time

Pros

Good benefits package. Lovely campus.

Cons

In my experience working as staff member, the staff and administration is fraught with politics, favoritism, cliques, and bureaucracy. The quality, quantity and efficiency with which I was able to produce my work was completely overlooked so that my supervisor's OCD tendencies could be coddled by upper-level management and HR. It seemed to me that the institution would have preferred a poorly-skilled wage slave over a competent, talented worker who had lots to bring... I was subject to (what I feel) was borderline harassment by an utterly inflexible supervisor. My attempts to work with HR to resolve the problem were useless, and my experience was that, ultimately, HR is involved in the politics of the institution and not there to advocate for employees or resolve differences. I can't recommend working here, at least on the staff. Maybe the experience for faculty is different...

Trust your hiring decisions and back them. Recognize and advocate for talented and intelligent people on your staff, and realize that they are there to enhance and improve the quality of your own work and life, so make use of their talents and skills. Be FLEXIBLE, or risk losing good people.

It has been a learning experience!

I have been working at Dominican University of California

Pros

Great colleagues (for the most part)
    Great pleace to grow because of the small school environment = a lot of opportunity to be creative.

Cons

Administrators compensation is beyond excessive!
    Growth in student population doesn't mean growth in staff to support students.

Recognize what and where we are as an institution of higher education. We are not Berkeley, Stanford, or USF. Work with what we've got!

Buyer Beware

I worked at Dominican University of California

Pros

Great benefits (health, dental, vision, classes)
    Open environment with a beautiful campus
    Student focused
    Welcoming environment
    Knowledgeable colleagues
    Flexible management

Cons

Back room decision making
    Poor communication among departments
    'Kick the can down the road' management in some instances
    Poor parking
    Dated buildings and working environments (think retro)
    Colleagues are sometimes overworked and unwilling to join take on new responsibilities voluntarily (happens, if rarely)

Tackle issues head on instead of waiting to see what will happen. Make decisions and stand by them. Be more open.

Assistant

I have been working at Dominican University of California part-time

Pros

Great at allowing time off.

Cons

Don't want people to contradict senior management.

A small university with big potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Dominican University of California (more than a year)

Pros

It's a creative, intellectually stimulating environment. The campus is situated in a picturesque park-like setting. The staff and faculty are friendly and help support each other. Nice perks include use of the athletic facilities, free access to performing arts, some public lectures and reduced tuition, or the option to audit classes.

Cons

Certain departments are understaffed and underfunded. Getting policies and procedures approved can be arduous. Pay rates (other than faculty) for this non-profit University is under industry standards.

There could be better communication around career development. For staff retention, the cost of higher compensation should be compared to the cost/time for hiring new staff and determining the overall negative impact on business.

Wonderful Community, Faculty Grossly Underpaid

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Dominican University of California as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing community of students, faculty, and admin. Colleagues are like family. Beautiful campus conducive to study. One-on-one faculty and student rapport. Faculty have a real commitment to students. A peaceful place to work but . . .

Cons

. . . Faculty members are grossly underpaid, especially adjuncts, many of whom have hung in there for several years with "promises" of significant pay increases that have not come to pass. No benefits for adjuncts. Adjuncts make 2/3's or less of other Bay Area adjunct positions, not even counting the absence of benefits and recognition.

Get serious about wage increases for adjuncts - we've been more than patient for a very long time. It's becoming embarrassing, don't you think? Dominican is a private, high tuition institution that should make a better effort of practicing what it preaches, beginning with fair pay for its dedicated faculty committed to the students and to the Dominican values.

Its a bureaucratic place, but the professors and most staff love what they do.

Former Employee - Financial Tutor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Tutor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dominican University of California

Pros

Its a beautiful campus and they are making tons of great changes in the admin department. They have an awesome new president who is really making waves, in a good way. The old president needed to go and was super old school and not popular.

Cons

It is an academic environment, which isn't inherently bad, just means there is a lot of bureaucracy, a lot! So be prepared for slowing moving processes that need to be approved by 10 different people.

Keep shaking up the over-sized administration department and put more emphasis on the students experience so they leave with a great feeling about their alma mater.

Work Study Position

Current Employee - Student Assistant in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Dominican University of California part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

there are many positions available for work study

Cons

Do not always fee appreciated for the work I do

Beautiful place to work

Current Employee - Staff in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Staff in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Dominican University of California full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The campus, benefits and people are a huge draw. The workload is heavy, yet the pace feels slower than the corporate world. You have the opportunity to advance your education and that of your children. You can attend lectures and performances. It is an enriching, peaceful and beautiful campus. The HR staff have been very helpful on more than one occasion and they are the most professional and polite department on campus. Your job is what you make of it, show up on-time and give it your best every day.

Cons

It has been challenging to get time off. Departments are sleek and the loss of a member can be burdensome. The work-life balance needs help. Some offices are old and dated, no heat or air conditioning and working in a loud cramped office that gets hot or freezing can get irritating.

Shorten the hiring process. Treat all levels of staff with dignity and respect. Encourage time-off and lead by example.