Dominion Dealer Solutions

Robert Berndt

Sr SQL Developer

Former Employee - Senior SQL Developer
    Former Employee - Senior SQL Developer

I worked at Dominion Dealer Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Was part of a smaller division of Dominion, we enjoyed a close-knit group of developers that really helped each other. Was able to be part of solution planning for long term strategy.

Cons

The culture declined dramatically after the market-crash of 2007/8 many dealerships were closed or simply went under, and thus many people were let go. During that time multiple GM and middle managers were rotated thru the doors. A hiring / raise freeze was put in place shortly after I started, so no salary increases during my tenure.

Same story... A company lumbering along with no upward mobility for employees.

Former Employee - Graphics Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Graphics Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Dominion Dealer Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've had two awesome supervisors. The best that I've had in my professional career. Both understood and cared about their employee's professional development.

Cons

People leave this company when it's obvious there are no "real" salary increases.

The only way to get a salary increase is with a title change or to quit and then get rehired. (I've "interviewed" several previous and current employees to confirm this.)

You won't retain good, talented people unless you pay them a competitive salary.

Nice place to work; money isn't great though

Current Employee - Project Manager in Monroe, OH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Monroe, OH

I have been working at Dominion Dealer Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work environment is very laid back, and you're rarely micromanaged. There is opportunity to grow your career here, but it feels like a stepping stone to something greater. They're fair about your family life, and provide lots of flexibility to those who do not abuse it.

Cons

Wages are minimal for most jobs. Benefits could be better.

Look for ways to free up more money for salaried employees.

Mergers, mergers, and more mergers

Current Employee - UI Designer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - UI Designer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Dominion Dealer Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Job is flexible. Don't have to worry about working overtime. Most managers will listen if you have issues and try their hardest to make life easier for you. I've worked with some really great people over the years. Company offers really great education tools like Lynda.com and Safari Books Online. Telecommuting available (even without a location shut down). You do get good experience and the benefits are fairly good.

Cons

Upper management seems to not know what the right hand is doing from the left most of the time. They will attempt to be transparent and will do monthly web meetings, but then falter and you won't hear from them for months at a time. When people leave the company, there appears to be no action to replace those people - at least in my experience - and when they are great people, it really hurts. We were told they would not close down offices, but so many people left that it became silly to have 5 people showing up to an office built for 5 times that number. They should have just closed down the offices and sent us all to work from home sooner rather than drag out the morale-sucking fiasco the office situation was. Company only ever offers raises at review times, or if you threaten to leave. As a once-upon-a-time manager for DDS, this made keeping my department happy and focused incredibly difficult - especially considering that they were all underpaid to start with and there was nothing I could do about it (I would get shot down by higher-ups if I wanted to offer someone even a market rate). A lot of times you will be put on a specific career path, but then the outcome is wildly different than what you were advertised - then you get stuck in a department, doing a job you dislike and the only option is to leave because there's no where else to go.

More transparency about the status of the company and its assets. Understand the technology that is being acquired and its impact on the end user as well as the impact on employees. Don't falter when putting into place things that employees care about: career paths, education, work place logistics.

Micro Management

I have been working at Dominion Dealer Solutions full-time

Pros

A couple departments are great to work within due to the strong performance goals and high autonomy.
    New Products are being introduced.

Cons

Culture of the company is to micro manage and question every small step or choice. Example: You are given a food per diem for travel but they don't want to approve a breakfast coffee from dunkin donuts if you stay at a hotel that provides a free breakfast. Daily decisions which most companies would expect have to be approved two and three levels up the management ladder.

Management is slow to react to a changing software environment.

Products are not well testing before being released.

Have the same expectations across teams and departments. If you don't trust the folks you hire, increase the pay rate to be more competitive and you'll be able to hire a competent workforce. If you feel you already have a great workforce, give them the autonomy to complete their job and have some faith they can make the right decisions for the company. Playing devils advocate is important but when it's the same decision every time, asking the same questions of employees is time consuming and demeaning, especially when nothing about the situation has changed.

I believe the company has some fantastic talent. Just think what they could accomplish if you are supportive instead of always trying to roadblock progress.

Ship sank

Current Employee - Production in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Production in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dominion Dealer Solutions full-time

Pros

Kevin, Jason, Andy, Cutter, Johnny, Jeff, a few other passionate, inspirational, and talented people,

Cons

No career paths, dying tech stack, took away benefits even after senior management signed off on tuition reimbursement and told me to sign up for classes, enroll, and they'd reimburse my tuition per the employee handbook as long as I made a 3.0. After I came to them with Straight A's Dominion denied reimbursement citing "it was not necessary for work." AFTER MANAGEMENT SIGNED OFF ON IT, costing me about $24,000 in graduate school expenses. Dying tech stack, no career path, no encouragement to learn new technologies and actually help shape the future of the product and the company. Forced employees to take days off unpaid because other Dominion companies were losing money. Nobody at the time was open to listening to qualified and passionate people despite the many pleas of the founder, the employees, and the senior staff who built the company from the ground up. The majority of the talent left in a mass exodus leaving poor, loyal employees behind to try and manage the sinking ship with bogus leadership from all levels. Dominion Executive came to Dealerskins and outed former employees as "Traitors" in an all-office meeting where he literally passed out "WANTED" posters with former employees pictures on it calling them out by name and sending employees running out in tears. There was also an "Us" vs "Them" attitude between production and tech support and the people in production literally would talk about tech support as if they were stupid. There was also a literal wall between the two but it was much more than that.

This was back in 2010... It was a super downhill after certain people were hired who weren't even knowledgeable or skilled and after they barely got the hang of it were handed leadership; probably because of their old age. Hire better, pay better, and give career paths, and nurture the future of the employees. Pair-programming and mentorship is imperative and should have been implemented. Also, run it like a real dev-shop with source control (I don't know as it's been four years so they may have remedied this, but who knows). AGILE and daily stand-ups. Invest in UX and really understand what the product is not just turn the company into an assembly line for dealer websites... Add value and build things that matter. It's not a static business card. It's a tool to solve problems.

Not a good experience

Current Employee - Equity Specialist
    Current Employee - Equity Specialist

I have been working at Dominion Dealer Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pro is that there a lots of young people that work here

Cons

The reason older people don't work here is because the pay is so bad
    There are only 7 holidays
    Management doesn't care about the employees
    Too high of an account load
    Stressful environment
    Bad training
    no room for growth
    There is so much work I would have to bring it home and not get paid

Constant changes in expectations, stagnant salaries, unrealistic expectations

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Dominion Dealer Solutions full-time

Pros

Nice experience for your next job

Cons

Very frustrating, unrealistic and ever changing expectations

Dinosaurs run amok

I worked at Dominion Dealer Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazingly they have good employees, and most everyone is nice, if not always fit for their job.

Cons

Senior management comes from a print and window sticker background. Trying to run a "technology" company has had its predictable results. There is no long-term vision, and the lack of innovation has resulted in most product lines being outdated, and always playing catch-up to competitors.

Too much focus is placed on stagnant business units - where revenue is high, but income is low.

My advice would be to bring in more folks at the management level with experience running tech companies. Develop a clear vision and road map. Company simply cannot remain this slow to adapt and innovate. Invest in the products with growth potential and high margins.

The single most inept, dysfunctional, self-defeating, and self-destructive organization I've worked for anywhere.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Dominion Dealer Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's next to impossible to be fired from this organization. Many of the people are quite nice and some of them are even relatively competent.

Cons

DDS is basically a holding company run by accountants who want so desperately for their company to be a "technology company." Unfortunately, their processes are rudimentary and they lack any sort of software company expertise in upper management. They see software developers like printing press workers, which is why they never offer more than a 2% annual raise and why they think that $80K is an appropriate salary for a senior Microsoft .Net engineer with fifteen years experience.

Clean house with your vice presidents and hire a little software development expertise. Your senior management just does not know what they are doing. Don't believe me? Check the P&L. As long as you continue to blame everyone and everything except leadership for the mess you're in, the ship is just going to continue to sink. I heard many people try to explain it many times - you're inability or unwillingness to listen is costing you good talent and real market share.