Dominion Enterprises

Profile Unclaimed

151 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Going down hill fast

Current Employee - Manager in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment, good location, good employee initiatives

Cons

Terrible pay scale...Other companies are snatching of good employee.

Get rid of the top Management and find someone that knows how to run a "technology company" Lack of leadership is destroying this company. The print way is history.

Must be a self-learner as training is defined as 'find your own way'

Current Employee - Accounting and Finance in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Accounting and Finance in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers - I was fortunate to identify those that wanted you to succeed. The Finance Dept is so quite as the leadership does not encourage employee feedback or questions expanding knowledge - so it is best to stay in your cubicle and whisper if you have questions

Cons

documentation, no defined business processes, re-organizations and job elimination is the foundation of their business model. EBITDA ratio cannot fall below 30 - if it does, re-organization is the next step

value intellectual property

Not a great experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Dominion Enterprises full-time (less than a year)

Pros

MSDN Subscription, HR and Purchasing are first rate.

Cons

It depends on the team your are on, but the team to which I was assigned had little to no direction and the communication was poor and sporadic. Had worked on a large project with NO documented requirements, NO Full time Business Analyst, and again the direction of the project was ambiguous and subject to change on a whim.

Personal measures of performance were completely subjective and arbitrary. I would not recommend this department to anyone who wants to move forward in their career. The only management tool my boss used was to write me up. That shouldn't be the first step as a matter of course.

Lack of Leadership

Current Employee - Manager in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

location and it can be a good starter job right out of college

Cons

I get tired of hearing managers talk about posting fake reviews so I thought I'd post a real one. CEO Frank Batten Jr is hands off and the company lacks leadership. Complete lack of ethics in the company. Homes.com just fired 20 people because they have no strategic plan and just play it day by day. Company is sinking and shrinking.

Clean house and bring in leaders not managers

Great interning experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Norfolk, VA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Dominion Enterprises as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Talented and hardworking group of people

Cons

Internships most often don't convert into full-time jobs.

None

So much squandered potential

Former Employee - Lead Generator in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Generator in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The security staff is amazing. Interacting with them was the highlight of my day. They take the time to learn everyone's name and treated us like friends. In addition, the building itself is centrally located and in great shape. That's about it

Even though I later discovered it was not entirely altruistic on the part of C-level management, I also liked how much community involvement there was at the company. For example, in lieu of decent wages, they offered plenty of small consolation prizes like ice cream truck day, coffee day, blood donation day, cupcake day, etc. Hey, sometimes they even let you park in the garage on the weekend.

Cons

Pay is substandard and they know it. In salary negotiations, you are not permitted to raise the topic of fair market value. For example, a customer service representative who would normally make $38,000 per year is paid $29,000 at DE and they consider this acceptable.

If you want to earn the average for your job title and skill level, you actually have to train to become a manager. Then, of course, you're no longer doing the work you were hired to do, but rather managing a team of your underpaid compatriots.

With the exception of a few IT positions (most get farmed out overseas to "contractors" at cutthroat rates) it's not unusual to see job postings whose actual compensation levels are 10% to 30% lower than comparable pay anywhere else. So much for the vaunted cult of the job creator.

And since the company HQ is in Virginia, an at-will state, they can fire you at any time for any reason (or no reason at all) and they will. The company pays lipservice to valuing its employees, but it's all nonsense. Everyone there (except for friends of management) is expendable and they ensure that you never forget it.

Bottom line? DE is a mediocre place to cut your teeth while looking for something better.

Don't restrict your employees -- you are crushing the creative vision of anyone there with any talent. If you're not a corporate bootlicker, you will not advance in the company. If you find better solutions and come up with improved processes, you will be terminated for not following orders like a drone.

Anything with the smallest bit of imagination gets edited to death in committee until it doesn't remotely resemble anything worth investing in. You're wasting everyone's time by just going through the motions and collecting your ridiculously large paychecks.

Divide the company's properties up and sell them to anyone who will actually do something worthwhile with them. (Remember AutoTrader?)

Flexible and full of Opportunities!

Current Employee - Sales Recruiter in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Recruiter in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, casual dress, forward-thinking management and IT department. The benefits are good, customer service is high, as is morale, and DE as a whole invests smartly. The are many opportunities for upward mobility, if you want it. I had the opportunity to help hire over 130 individuals over 2+ years, nationwide for a variety of DE's businesses. Management is understanding and will invest in you (three-fold) if you invest in them. Jack Ross (CEO) has great vision for the company, and will do great things in the years to come.

Cons

The pay is average at best, but does make up for it in yearly promotions. There needs to be more "work-from-home" opportunities, especially in the Hampton Roads area.

Continue to look at benefits and pay, across the board. Also, take a look to see where you can allow remote opportunities from the home office.

Okay starter job, just get out quick

Current Employee - Product Manager in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In all honesty, despite the numerous drawbacks, I think it would be an okay starter job. Get 2 years under your belt and then move to a real job.

Cons

Managerial code of ethics is do what you think you can get away with. CEO Frank Batten just doesn't care. 90% of employees don't even know he is the CEO and couldn't recognize him. COO could care less as long as he makes his bonus. Management is only for the "good ol boys".

None... its blatantly obvious that they just don't care about the long term prospects for the company.

Good work ethic and hard work pays off.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time

Pros

I started from the ground up. I'm a fast learner, I've always been going above and beyond and always asking for more. Management recognized it and I moved up fast. They want to keep good employees that have a positive attitude. If you have that you will go far.

Cons

Communication between sites/departments can sometimes be difficult and like pulling teeth. One must be politically savvy and have patience.

Doing a great job, and I've seen a lot of improvement, both in the company culture as well as performance. However... it seems easier for bad employees to transfer to a different department then get fired. To be on the receiving end, expecting a good employee but getting much less is quite disappointing.

I'm glad I got out of there!

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual Dress Environment
    Fun way to meet people
    Nice Building

Cons

Low Pay
    Poor Management
    Degrading Raises (If any)
    If you're not management, you have no voice

Ok, upper management, we get it. You travel a lot and you want to post pictures all day long. But can you chill with the photos of all the booze, expensive food, and 5 star hotels you are staying at? Its pretty obvious where the company money is spent... Dominion Enterprises, you are a joke!

Once I left Dominion for a better job, I've never been so happy! It's liberating to leave a company like Dominion & to "see the light!"

Dominion Enterprises Photos

Building entrance - Granby and Plume.
DE Headquarters