Dominion Enterprises Reviews

Updated March 6, 2015
154 reviews filtered by
  • Norfolk, VA

Okay starter job, just get out quick

Current Employee - Product Manager in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In all honesty, despite the numerous drawbacks, I think it would be an okay starter job. Get 2 years under your belt and then move to a real job.

Cons

Managerial code of ethics is do what you think you can get away with. CEO Frank Batten just doesn't care. 90% of employees don't even know he is the CEO and couldn't recognize him. COO could care less as long as he makes his bonus. Management is only for the "good ol boys".

None... its blatantly obvious that they just don't care about the long term prospects for the company.

Good work ethic and hard work pays off.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time

Pros

I started from the ground up. I'm a fast learner, I've always been going above and beyond and always asking for more. Management recognized it and I moved up fast. They want to keep good employees that have a positive attitude. If you have that you will go far.

Cons

Communication between sites/departments can sometimes be difficult and like pulling teeth. One must be politically savvy and have patience.

Doing a great job, and I've seen a lot of improvement, both in the company culture as well as performance. However... it seems easier for bad employees to transfer to a different department then get fired. To be on the receiving end, expecting a good employee but getting much less is quite disappointing.

I'm glad I got out of there!

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual Dress Environment
    Fun way to meet people
    Nice Building

Cons

Low Pay
    Poor Management
    Degrading Raises (If any)
    If you're not management, you have no voice

Ok, upper management, we get it. You travel a lot and you want to post pictures all day long. But can you chill with the photos of all the booze, expensive food, and 5 star hotels you are staying at? Its pretty obvious where the company money is spent... Dominion Enterprises, you are a joke!

Once I left Dominion for a better job, I've never been so happy! It's liberating to leave a company like Dominion & to "see the light!"

Worst technology company I ever worked for

Former Employee - Web Developer in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Norfolk location, free coffee, pay for parking.

Cons

Very low pay, terrible management, bad technologies, high turnover.

Pay technical people market rate so there is not so much turnover.

They don't care about their employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice building in Norfolk. Decent benefits and time off.

Cons

HR truly does not care about anyone. The HR management were the snootiest bunch of entitled people I ever have worked with in any company, especially in benefits and employee relations (law.) Other management just followed suit.

Take a long hard look at the obvious division from management to associates.

One of the worst companies to be employed with

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Absolutely zero, none, zippo, run as far away from this organization that you can.

Cons

Senior Management only cares about themselves. This company has destroyed many lives by letting long term employees go who really built the company in the first place.

Quit protecting yourself and your image. Care about others and don't be so proud of yourself when you let people go.

Pig In A Poke

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The coffee is free, the building has heat and air conditioning, a business casual dress code.

Cons

Awful pay.

New graphic designers can expect to get paid poverty wages ($12/hour) to start with an average of $15/hour. If you work here long enough and take a leadership role you MIGHT eventually make around $20/hour. In other words they pay their senior graphic designers less than other employers pay fresh out of college designers.

The average salary for software engineers is $49,000. Reported salaries range from $40,000 to a maximum of $65,000. Again salaries max out lower than what most other companies pay software engineers out of college.

Customer service representatives can expect to start out making $13 or $14/hour for what's a dead-end position at this company unless you have the right friends. I know more than a few people who are still in the same boat they were when they were first hired years ago and who are looking to get out.

No matter the department you work in benefits will always stink. Their health insurance is comes with a $1000 deductible and 20%/80% after that. Look at the salary ranges I talked about, and then imagine having to pay a $1000 deductible or more. Good luck if you ever get sick.

Insulting pay might be tolerable if this were a pleasant place to work but it really isn't. Many other reviewers have gone into it better than I can but you can expect a high stress work environment (unnecessarily stressful at that because most of it is caused by other peoples' incompetence), inept management that constantly patronizes you and insults your intelligence and being expected to do more and more with nothing to show for it.

The economy isn't that bad anymore and employees deserve better. If you somehow find yourself working here don't stay for long. I stayed for a couple of years, applied to a company across town (a company that isn't exactly Fortune 500 company with tons of money to throw around), and got a 100% raise and a job that's MUCH LESS STRESSFUL!!! Thanks for the on-the-job training. My new employer appreciates it.

No, "needing to get promoted" (into positions that don't exist) isn't the problem. AWFUL PAY FOR PEOPLES' CURRENT POSITIONS IS.

Look at the average pay other companies are paying for various positions on Glassdoor, then look at what you're paying. Do you see the difference? Your pay is awful. You aren't fooling anyone.

Upper Management Orders me to Lie

Current Employee - Business Marketing Manager in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Business Marketing Manager in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee and business casual dress code

Cons

I have been placed in situations to lie to employees who report to me
    Sometimes even go as far as laying people off then placing them in positions they're not qualified for only to terminate them to avoid paying severance.
    HR has an open door policy which is only used to acquire intelligence to protect themselves from lawsuits and has nothing to do with helping the employees.

Look at yourselves in the mirror and think about the person you have become.

10. Awesome...could have gotten paid a bit more but attribute that to the region not the company.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you are a techie living in HR who doesn't want to work for a DoD contractor this is the best bet. With over 600 IT personnel, the company is coming to terms with the fact that it is now a tech company as opposed to a print company trying to put magazines on the internet. As such they are moderately open to any ideas an suggestions you may have in terms of technologies and such. Plenty of shops an restaurants around plus MacArthur Mall mall and Waterside.

Cons

This company will move forward by tech innovation only. The problem is they hire young talent who work there for a short time then get snatched up by larger tech titans out of town. This leaves the old guard perpetually in charge who cant see the tech forest for the trees and reminisce of the days when it was just print.

Do what you can to retain the young tech talent and ideas even if it means you have to pay a little more.

Egos rampant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some coworkers and team members

Cons

Full of egotistical upper management who make decisions to advance their own careers and promote their own agendas. Senior management is full of people who have made poor decisions and spent millions and millions of company money on failed businesses and projects, yet continue to be paid massive salaries and keep their jobs.

Its not worth giving advice to people who won't listen

Dominion Enterprises Photos

Building entrance - Granby and Plume.
DE Headquarters