Dominion Enterprises

Updated April 21, 2015
377 reviews filtered by
Dominion Enterprises President and COO Jack Ross
Jack Ross

Pros
  • It is flexible to work from home when needed (in 15 reviews)

• Flexible work environment (depends of manager) (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management only cares about themselves (in 36 reviews)

• Upper Management did NOT listen to middle management's suggestions (in 28 reviews)

1. Fun environment, but underpaid.

Current Employee - Front End Web Developer in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Front End Web Developer in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Down to earth coworkers. Fun place to work. Paid holidays, vacation and sick time.

Cons

They hire right out of school... which is good. But they don't seem to be willing to pay what you are really worth even after having been here for a couple of years.

Advice to Management

Pay your people what they are worth.

Terrific growth opportunities. Great people.

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises

Pros

I have worked for Dominion for many years. I've always felt that my growth opportunities were unlimited here and I've seen employees who have worked for me over the years grow within the company as well. Our executive management team really cares about our employees and they are navigating the constantly changing competitive landscape effectively. Because our company serves many different verticals with various marketing tools and solutions, you can truly build a career here whether you prefer a long-standing role in a specific vertical or discipline or whether you prefer to try your hand in different roles along the way.

Cons

Because DE is a very entrepreneurial company, we don't have one way of doing things. There's not a playbook here. This is a real pro for folks who want to customize their days and weeks while getting the job done. This can be a con if you're coming from a company with locked down methods of getting things done and you're looking to just check off that to do list each day.

Dominion Enterprises Response

Apr 9, 2015VP/Management Development, Training, Recruiting

Thank you very much for your review. Dominion Enterprises strives to provide an environment that offers opportunities for growth and professional development. We encourage innovation, trial and ... More

3. general manager

Former Employee - General Manager in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Dominion Enterprises full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great training, great people, lots of opportunity to grow.

Cons

They can work to bring better communication between businesses. There are a lot of resources available but sometimes the businesses overlap and either compete with each other or miss new opportunities due to not sharing information.

Advice to Management

Overall the management team is fantastic but more collaboration will go far.

Dominion Enterprises Response

Apr 14, 2015VP/Management Development, Training, Recruiting

Thank you so much for your feedback and post. We are working on new ways to share ideas across all of our businesses. Good luck in your future endeavors!

Great Company, Great People

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are great people in the company to work with. Co-workers are always willing to help with new initiatives. The company on a whole is working towards a more modern feel, which is great for the up and coming work force.

Cons

The pay here is not quite as competitive as many other companies. I think that's what causes some turnover. Although, I would have to say that there are many things important about an employer, not just pay.

Advice to Management

Help employees realize that there are many reasons to work for this great company, pay is not the only thing that's important. Drive, helping the community, fun activities, great co-workers, user groups etc. are all great reasons to work for DE.

6. DX1 Responsive Web Designer

Former Employee - DX1 Responsive Web Designer in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - DX1 Responsive Web Designer in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Dominion Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great at showing employee appreciation, fun events, leader in homes industry.

Cons

Corporate environment makes it hard for new ideas to play out. Senior management wants younger people to make a more modern product, but don't listen to things we need to make that happen. Takes a million years to get easy fixes completed since it has to go to every boss above you.

Advice to Management

Either take the time to make a better product (ie: product development) or expect employees to not be happy when they need fixes from development for the customers and they are never ever received. Even after have a million meetings on why we can't get tasks completed on the corporate scale they want. Listen to us "little people" or you will definitely fail. No questions about that. Product needs to be #1 concern.

Great place to kickstart a career

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very relaxed and laid back environment, decent work culture, very accessible lower management. The developers at any level have a lot of say in the technologies and tools that they would like to use. The company is ready to adapt the latest technologies. Regular user groups and Hack-a-thon events(with more food than one can eat) are very fun to attend, and also useful for socializing across various businesses.

The company provides multiple career paths and you get to work with your manager time to time in working personal development. Flexible with work hours and depending on your manager you can choose to work from home occasionally. No limitations on when you could use the PTOs. Norfolk hq is a beautiful building with great views to downtown and harbor.

Cons

Very slow growth rate at a personal level. Most of senior management is from the print era and needs to embrace the latest trends in web. Not very clear business goals. Relatively less employee retention rate. Lack of diversity among the leadership. Less formal training and usually not everybody gets to attend.

Advice to Management

Focus on hiring experienced talent. Establish clear goals. Aim higher and find ways to compete at a larger level.

Sales Leader left due to slashed commission plan

Former Employee - Inside Sales
    Former Employee - Inside Sales

I worked at Dominion Enterprises

Pros

They had offered Decent benefits, and the series of managers I had were fine; small office lends itself to close family-like environment.

Cons

Field offices completely out of the loop from corporate. Commission rates consistently lowered over 10yr tenure. You can only advance by agreeing to relocate.

DE is one of the best companies to work for in Hampton Roads

Current Employee - Recruiter in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises

Pros

Dominion Enterprises promotes from within and because of that you see a lot of tenure within our current employees. If you are a hard working employee management notices and will spend time mentoring and developing you to get you to the next level. The company also has a great culture and the activities committee spends a lot of time thinking of creative and fun activities for everyone that works here. There is also a lot of flexibility in work hours if you have personal things outside of work you need to take care of.

Cons

I think the compensation levels could be increased. It is a very competitive market place and can be hard to attract and keep top talent.

10. Great company!

Current Employee - Intern in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Intern in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises (Less than a year)

Pros

Comfortable environment for working
    Bright employees that are welcoming
    A lot of room for growth

Cons

I have no cons so far. If there is ever a problem, it will get fixed.

Advice to Management

Keep the good work up!

11. Excellent company if you're interested in being a part of a positive culture shift. Work/Life balance is highly valued.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

DE is a great company that embraces constant change and values healthy lifestyles. Careers here encourage autonomy with merit-based performance and rewards. Forums, user groups and committees drive the culture. Community outreach is huge.

Cons

Figuring out how to best advance your position if you're not in a sales role.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the people that would rather be the CEO of their own company.

Dominion Enterprises Photos