Dominion Enterprises Reviews

Reset
3.3
Dominion Enterprises President and COO Jack Ross
Jack Ross

Pros
  • Great colleagues and work environment (in 24 reviews)

• Our president really makes a strong emphasis on work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Can not trust Senior Management what so ever (in 36 reviews)

• Upper Management did NOT listen to middle management's suggestions (in 28 reviews)

1. Dominion Enterprises - A good place to work!

Current Employee - Administrative Systems Programmer in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Administrative Systems Programmer in Tallahassee, FL

Pros

Even though they are a large company, it's broken up into divisions that are very self sufficient and good at reporting up and/or working together when necessary. Many of these divisions often share technical and physical resources when permitted and it makes it a very comfortable place to work knowing you do not always have to re-create the wheel if another division is already accomplished a similar goal.

Cons

Based in Norfolk, the pay scale is low compared to similar businesses in other areas of the country. This is due mainly to the large military population of Norfolk, whom, quite frankly (as in other parts of the country) often settle for less while their significant others are in active duty. I've worked in other states where this was the case as well, and is a common theme for businesses across the country, but from a business standpoint, it keeps costs down and all the other benifits seem to outway the low pay, but that's just me.

Advice to Management

Managment 101, always share as much information as humanly possible with every employee possible. Only in cases of extreme sensitivity (legal, etc) should any information be kept from the employees. The more each individual knows and/or is responsible for, the better they will perform because they know what they are doing helps and directly where their efforts are focused in the larger picture. This kind of knowlege often allows employees to settle for less pay knowing what they do counts and that they are appreciated...and no, not with a free lunch here or there, but true (or at least appear to be true) heart felt, non-bloated, recognition of their efforts.

2. I love this place!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Pros

I love Dominion Enterprises. After work dead end job after dead end job, I can proudly confess I love my job. There are not too many people who have that prilivige. Even through transition, they have made it easier. The company has a kind of down home feel to it, that relates to all of it employees regardless of thier background and or location. Because we have office localed all over the United States of America, it makes the job more attraction to that person who needs to be on the move. There so much room for growth in this company it unreal. They are constantly adding new jobs to the company. They commucation with us what they need from us and what they are willing to do to make sure we got what we need to get the job done. The morale of the company is high. We know that our company is going to take care of us if we take care of it. You are constantly getting feedback from you supervisors so you can be more effective in you area and so that you move up in the company. The management team works for you. They don't forget what you do and what it takes to do your job.

Cons

The downside is parking. I can honestly say that parking is the only thing that truely bothers me. Wait, there is the fact that you can get fired without notice. That is kind crappy. Other than that I love my job.

Advice to Management

I give us more feedback with the changes that the company is going through. Please set the mind of your people to ease.

Turning a profit in a tough environment means making tough business decisions.

Current Employee - Director in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Norfolk, VA

Pros

Senior management has had to make tough business decisions to remain profitable, but throughout they have kept the welfare of their employees as their number one priority. Opportunities for promotion are available to everyone. The company is so diverse you can move into an entirely new business segment, in a new location and in a new field without leaving the company.

Cons

The company traditionally does not pay as well as other organizations in the area and good talent sometimes slips away because of this.

Advice to Management

Consider increasing pay rates or being more flexible with paid time off to better retain top-tier talent.

5. Work hard and get rewarded

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Norfolk, VA

Pros

-Promotion within for those that show they work hard. -Good benefits -Management that coaches and develops skills -Great people to work with on a daily basis

Cons

-Every aspect of the company has been hit by the economy. There is a lot of pressure to make the business profitable in this tough environment.

Advice to Management

Management needs to stay open to suggestions from the employees.

Proud Employee

Current Employee - Manager in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Norfolk, VA

Pros

Lots of opportunity for career growth Small perks add up in a time of no pay increases Exciting to be part of a successful company

Cons

Pay freeze for two years Tighter budgets typically prevent teams from getting the resources they need to be successful Occasionally run into too much politics

Advice to Management

When making internal decisions, make sure that you're thinking about what is right for the business and not just who is screaming the loudest. This doesn't always happen but is frustrating when it does because it confuses the message about the goals and direction of the business.

Dominion Enterprises Response

Nov 19, 2010 – Director

Thanks for this feedback, and for offering a balanced perspective.

A terrific workplace where folks enjoy their jobs and contribute to the community

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Pros

Enthusiastic coworkers. Very little politics. Everyone has a chance to make a difference. Warm and friendly atmosphere. Good communications and very appraochable management.

Cons

Rssions has impacted business and slowed down career advancement lately.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and together we will emerge a strong company

8. My experience with the For Rent Media Solutions division has been extremely positive.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Pros

I can only speak for the" For Rent Media Solutions" division, it is very forward thinking and progressive. The Sr. Staff continually looks for ways to increase communication, provide the most up to date tools and suggest product enhancements to keep our division competitive in the marketplace.

Cons

For Rent Media Solutions has over 50 offices across the country, a multitude of products and each sales office is given flexibility to meet the needs of customers. This can sometimes create challenges with communicating a unified message across the country. However, we've seen some positive changes in the last year and I'm encourage and excited that the Sr. Staff is listening.

Advice to Management

Continue to conduct employee surveys. The company-wide survey that took place last year was great for all employees, especially since we've seen positive changes that have been made based on employee feedback.

9. Good I.T. Department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Pros

Ive worked for a couple of their sites. Nice teams. Nice people.

Cons

low pay. bathrooms weren't that nice..

Advice to Management

I enjoyed working with my management people.

10. My experience at Dominion Enterprises has been very enriching, providing me with great reward.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

Pros

10 years and counting...that should sum up that I'm a happy camper. Best reasons to work here? Senior Management listens to the field and responds, takes action. I am respected and have been rewarded for doing a good job. I've been given the flexibility to take time off when needed as I was raising my young child and was able to be involved in all of his important days/events at school. Award trips are generous and outstanding! I love my team!

Cons

Well, the economy has of course changed things for all of us and well we struggle in the media industry the stress has taken its toll on many. That said the bummies and crummies have mostly gone away. It's been a tough year....but there will be brighter days ahead. There has been a lot of negative feedback on this site and I would guess that most is from past disgruntled employees who either didn't communicate effectively or wouldn't... In this business you have to create your own success. If you don't have the drive, ambition or ability to communicate effectively you will probably end up frustrated and bitter enough to write about it!!

Advice to Management

Thanks for listening, keep it up! We're all in this together and I for one appreciate how I've been treated and rewarded. Sure, commission and bonuses could always be higher!!!!

11. Great Company, Headed in the Right Direction!

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Norfolk, VA

Pros

Casual work environment. Great people to work with. Good benefits. Jack Ross is really moving Dominion Enterprises in the right direction. Since taking over as CEO, Jack has begun to transform the company from the old stiff back. He listens to what the employees have to say, takes occasional surveys to find out what we all feel is the next important obstacle to tackle and acts on his promises in a diligent manner. The company also promotes health. They have programs in place with one of the local gyms to offer employees lower prices. The company pays 50% of the fees for Weight Watchers, and offer 2 meetings a week. Annual walk competitions, healthier food in the vending machines, etc are just some more of the things they offer to promote good health. One of the biggest Pros to working at DE, especially if it's with ForRent.com, is the people you get to work with. I have worked with some true professionals and everyone enjoys what they do. I have worked for this company for 5 years and am really going to miss it when I leave next week.

Cons

There are always cons to a company. The biggest con I have found is favoritism.

Advice to Management

Evaluate your people. Know their strengths, weaknesses and promote the people who deserve it.

RSS Feed </> Embed