Dominion Enterprises

Dominion Enterprises Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Dominion Enterprises President and COO Jack Ross

Jack Ross

Pros
  • It is flexible to work from home when needed(in 14 reviews)

• Good work environment, good location, good employee initiatives(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management only cares about themselves(in 41 reviews)

• Upper Management did NOT listen to middle management's suggestions(in 27 reviews)

great work home balance

Web Developer (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

Prosexcellent work home balance. good compensation, paid parking, good work environment, excellent training program

Consno opportunity to move up with in the company. I felt I would never get another raise. I was already at the top, and nothing to strive for.

Advice to Senior Managementencourage your internal community by providing annual raises, make promotions possible.

I am honestly surprised this company is still in existence...

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsThe best pro about this company is its location, also there was a lot of flexibility given with personal life but I honestly think that was because of my particular manager.

ConsThis company needs to work on their business practices which are so undefined you truly are in a state of confusion at all times. Management needs to be reconsidered in regards of qualifications and consistency. It seemed to be that everyone around me was content on doing things haphazard, wrong, without any kind of communication with other teams in which their job was dependent on a goal getting met...there was never any questions asked, just a team of frustrated and confused workers doing things the way they have been told even if it made no sense. New systems were implemented without in plan in place. The worst factor was the moral of the company. Between the blame game and petty and unnecessary dislikes going on, it made for a very tense environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementIF this company doesn't fold with the next couple of years, I would suggest management (QUALIFIED) get in a room and do a total overhaul of their business plans.

Going down hill fast

Manager (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsGood work environment, good location, good employee initiatives

ConsTerrible pay scale...Other companies are snatching of good employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the top Management and find someone that knows how to run a "technology company" Lack of leadership is destroying this company. The print way is history.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has an open door policy and a good set of senior managers. The company offers a very
    relaxed environment.

ConsThe work hours are not as flexible. The company is working on changing their culture and doing a good job of it so far.

Good for entry level sales, that's about it.

Account Executive (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsGood entry level job for sales. Not too difficult of a sale considering you will be reaching out to endemic advertisers. Not that difficult to sell boat dealers or boat OEM's on www.boattrader.com or Cycle dealers on CycleTrader.com. Especially since almost half of it is paid through their OEM co-op program. The dealers almost have to spend the money. Where else would an OEM spend?? Dominion basically owns verticals in the powersports and marine industry. If you are unable to sell these dealers or OEM's with all of the mentioned weapons you should quit sales immediately. Great group of people. Lots of team building and a pretty good culture. Building is packed with cool down to earth people. CEO is a really good guy.

ConsLow pay.... company very resistant to change. Operates at extremely low cost. Dominion is not very innovative and is always years late to market. Many of the senior managers were in the print industry and were automatically promoted to online presidents even though they had never worked for an internet company. High performing sales reps have caps on commission. This is not a cap that will you will find in your compensation plan, however; If you start making over 100k they will take accounts away or change your commission plan or even change your job. Middle managers make crap wages. Also in terms of their Real Estate properties Homes.com and ForRent.com are shrinking and getting out spent in the market place 10 fold by Trulia and Zillow. No real battle plan or investment to change this. Good talent is bailing on the company after years of frustration. I actually think top top level management is good but their judgement on hiring other managers is awful. If you have never been in sales then you should not be a SM. If you are a print guy/gal you just don't get handed the reigns of one of Dominion's internet companies. Not good decisions. Dominion has a culture of basically just doing what they can with what they already have. When they do invest in new initiatives it is not planned out very well and often hire people who have no knowledge of the business to run it.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your troops on the ground and take care of your young talent. Play to win a championship... Don't just play to win a few games. Go for it. It would probably take 100 to 150 million to even make Homes.com viable in the marketplace again. Might be too late. A internet property is only as good as the amount of traffic it has all things being equal. Time to invest heavy and take risk or just sell the place.

Not a great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsMSDN Subscription, HR and Purchasing are first rate.

ConsIt depends on the team your are on, but the team to which I was assigned had little to no direction and the communication was poor and sporadic. Had worked on a large project with NO documented requirements, NO Full time Business Analyst, and again the direction of the project was ambiguous and subject to change on a whim.

Personal measures of performance were completely subjective and arbitrary. I would not recommend this department to anyone who wants to move forward in their career. The only management tool my boss used was to write me up. That shouldn't be the first step as a matter of course.

Must be a self-learner as training is defined as 'find your own way'

Accounting and Finance (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsCo-workers - I was fortunate to identify those that wanted you to succeed. The Finance Dept is so quite as the leadership does not encourage employee feedback or questions expanding knowledge - so it is best to stay in your cubicle and whisper if you have questions

Consdocumentation, no defined business processes, re-organizations and job elimination is the foundation of their business model. EBITDA ratio cannot fall below 30 - if it does, re-organization is the next step

Advice to Senior Managementvalue intellectual property

Lack of Leadership

Manager (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

Proslocation and it can be a good starter job right out of college

ConsI get tired of hearing managers talk about posting fake reviews so I thought I'd post a real one. CEO Frank Batten Jr is hands off and the company lacks leadership. Complete lack of ethics in the company. Homes.com just fired 20 people because they have no strategic plan and just play it day by day. Company is sinking and shrinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house and bring in leaders not managers

Excellent national company with local control maintained by each office

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Corporate Leadership , constantly changing to meet market demands, values employees and their contributions, room for advancement and great benefits / vacation time.

ConsSmaller divisions could use a complete overhaul starting with management.
    Although training is sound, it could be more frequent and encompass more subjects

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep appreciating your employees and they will continue to go above and beyond to ensure the companies future success

Fantastic Work Environment/Culture

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsVery positive and motivating upper management. Our president really makes a strong emphasis on work-life balance. When visiting our home office, everyone seems upbeat and happy to be there.

ConsTraining still needs some work--especially for new hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think our compensation is fair--not the best in the industry, however special promotions designed to increase your commissions are pretty cool when they come around

Worked for Dominion Enterprises? Contribute to the Community!