Dominium

Assistant Property Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Dominium full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great commissions, PTO, and the potential of moving up.

Cons

Working with residents can be difficult

More training is needed to fine tune skills.

oh no they are horrible

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

I have been working at Dominium full-time (more than an year)

Pros

20% off your rent only good thing

Cons

they lie about promotions, raises, commissions suck.

you can most certainly pay more

I thought it would get better...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Dominium full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're male and work in Development, there are perks.

Aside from that, I did enjoy all of the wellness events (blood drives, massages, fitness challenges, flu shot clinics).

Cons

When I started I didn't really receive any training. I was thrown into my cube and left to figure things out for myself. On more than one occasion I was told to "Google" something to figure things out. I eventually stopped asking my supervisor for help because it was fruitless.

Communication was always an issue. I felt like I was never in the loop on things until it was a fire drill situation and things had to get done NOW. I tried to set up weekly meetings with my boss, but he never kept them.

PTO is ridiculous. Only 4 days in your first year??!!

I frequently felt that I had to babysit the people in my department. Making sure they got to their meetings on time or that they knew meetings were even taking place. I felt like there was no appreciation for other people's time. Why schedule meetings when people schedule right over them or flat out don't show up?

It is a micro-managed environment with procedures for everything, including for when the power goes out and for what restaurants lunches can be ordered from for meetings.

I was never paid what I was worth in the open job market. I had to ask for a raise to get up to ALMOST the average wage for my position. I got my raise and then my bonus was cut in half, all while others in my department were getting 5 figure bonuses twice a year.

There really were no consequences for not getting your work done on time. Even upper level management will let a lot of things slide, especially when it's not viewed as an important task.

Start to value ALL of your employees, not just the ones who are "making you money." Understand that people have family and lives outside of work and that not everyone enjoys working 60 hours a week. Every employee is valuable and if you keep them happy, they will stay with the company longer, work harder for you, and make you more money. And it doesn't hurt to tell someone that you appreciate the work they're doing - a simple thank you goes a long way.

Leasing

I have been working at Dominium

Pros

PTO is decent
    Rent discount if you live at one of their properties

Cons

Career Suicide. No advancement opportunities. Upper management is clueless.

Great Company

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Regional Manager in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Dominium full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of advancement opportunity if you choose to work for it.

Cons

Hard to balance work and home life due to lots of work hours

Miserable work environment, Little to no support

Former Employee - Property Accountant in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Property Accountant in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Dominium full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you work in HR, Development, or Asset Management, you are probably going to be fine. These are the departments that receive most of the support and additional perks from the owners, or company.

Cons

-Training is unorganized, intermittent, and not effective.
    -Communication between the sites and home office, or even different departments within the home office is minimal, or not effective.
    -Turnover is extremely high, even for the property management field.
    -You only get 4 days of PTO your first 12 months, after your one year anniversary, you get two weeks...however, due to the high turn over rates, they clearly don't bank on people staying.
    -Their main resource of information is on their company intranet, which typically holds outdated information, or incorrect information. Regardless, if you make a mistake as a result of this, blame will be put on you.
    - They've started a new business practice where management is required to give all employees an 'IDP' or In Development Plan....thus ensuring no employee has the potential to receive a full bonus during bonus reviews.
    - If you are a mother who is breast-feeding at the home office, you can expect to do that in a small storage closet that has a ratty old office chair...which is a step up from the bathroom shower stall it used to be in, I guess?
    -My department was given a 1% pay increase across the board this year. re: It doesn't matter what your personal work ethic may be, or how much effort you put into your work, you are treated as a disposable number.

Myself and many others have tried to voice concerns, and have been met with apathy. Please try listening to your employees. And I'm talking to the owners. Senior Management has no clout- all good ideas die with the owners.

Great, fun company.

Current Employee - Development Intern
    Current Employee - Development Intern

I have been working at Dominium part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The development team is full of fun and good personalities. Everyone is very willing to share their knowledge and help you learn.

Cons

It doesn't seem like there's much room to grow a career. After the associate level, positions are filled by younger guys who are very intelligent and hard-working.

Development

I worked at Dominium

Pros

-Great group of employees
    -Fun environment
    -Long hours at times, but you are rewarded for it
    -Very open door - all levels of management are available

Cons

-Intermittent late work nights, however, these can be fun and very educational and productive.
    -Office location is very suburban

Pretty Good Company .......

Current Employee - Leasng Consultant
    Current Employee - Leasng Consultant

I have been working at Dominium full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They will teach you a lot and they do believe in promoting from within. That's the best part. My assistant manager was awesome. My regional was awesome. they always backed me 100%

Cons

Working long hours. Never getting a raise and not being able to get ahead once you are behind. They expect vacancies to be filled as soon as one is emptied. Its hard when people leave without a notice. I really had to work my butt off. My manager was lazy and liked to play candy crush all day on her cell phone which made the work harder for me and my assistant manager,

work together as a team and everything will get better

local management level was the issue for me

Former Employee - Assistant Community Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Community Manager

I worked at Dominium full-time (less than an year)

Pros

excellent corporate culture with a very good "unbiased" attitude when it comes to race, religion, gender, etc. Truly competitive pay, decent benefits, nice uniform options to suit all styles and body types. Although I didn't get a chance to experience their Dominium University training programs I've heard they are great.

Cons

Poor management at local level, terrible orientation and initial job training. Can be very challenging working with the type of tenants who qualify for Section 8 housing. Also, compliance efforts are poorly managed company wide (too many hoops to jump through at home office instead of properly training staff members to begin with). At the location where I worked, the manager was cuckoo to an extreme and basically expected me to do every facet of the assistant manager, leasing, and secretarial work for the property by my third day on the job with a few hours of training by a temp agency's secretary who was not old enough to legally purchase alcohol. I am a professional and this did not work for me.

Ensure that property managers are truly qualified, mature, professional and effective managers. Take special care to TRAIN staff, particularly management staff, right from the beginning (DAY ONE) before they are thrown into the mouth of the lion with residents and managers. For an Assistant Manager, Day 3 on the job is not the day they should be expected to know and do it all.

Dominium Photos

Dominium has been providing real estate management services for over 40 years. Dominium owns or manages over 23,000 units and provides consulting services in 19 states.
At Dominium, we have built trusting and financially rewarding partnerships utilizing our team of experienced managers and marketing executives.
Our commitment to providing a quality housing experience ensures that each of our residents will enjoy a professional property management staff that is respectful of their needs and rights.

+ Add Photo