Dominium Reviews

1. Doing ok, and working on it

Current Employee - Minnesota in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Minnesota in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Dominium full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are many changes in the works right now that are going to make a significant impact on the culture. The company is striving to create more levels within the organization and create a career path for each role. They are continuing to develop their current training programs such as Leadership Acadamy (property managers trained to regional managers), Managers in Training (assistant to property manager), and New Community Manager Orientations. Leadership is working hard to continue developing Dominium and making it better. They are putting real effort into listening to their employees and making changes based on the responses.

We have fairly flexible hours here, depending on the manager. There is also the possibility to work overtime if you need/want it, but it is not required. They really teach you everything you would ever need to know in your field. If you work here, you will learn a lot.

Dominium has a program called Bridge, where they support their employees doing volunteer work in their communities. This was a big pro for me. We have a VERY social and interactive environment, and I have made a number of very good friends here. The home office also has an on site fitness center and locker room, to support the wellness of its employees.

My manager is fantastic. She makes sure that I have the ability to work on and learn everything I am interested in in my field. She strives to ensure that I am given the opportunity to learn.

My team is really collaborative and supportive of all ideas. They will work everything through with me, and answer any questions I have about their specialties. I really feel like I am being heard and supported within my team.

Cons

The only real downside is that Dominium uses a lag market pay strategy.

Advice to Management

Continue to make changes to better the company, and really strive to continue listening to and supporting your employees, and everything will go well.

Working at Dominium

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Dominium full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Absolutely love the work hard play hard mentality at Dominium - it makes it a fun place to work

Cons

Occasional work/life balance issues exist

3. Worst job I

I worked at Dominium

Pros

I sincerely can't think of any pros.

Cons

Complete incompetence regarding property management, at all levels, all the way to the top. No company leadership or vision of any kind. No training or support, Just a bunch of feel-good nonsense.

Advice to Management

Learn about priorities of your business. Pay employees a competitive wage and maybe you'll get more than a warm body. Give new employees training and support And exercise common sense regarding your policies.

Jun 25, 2015HR Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We value your opinion and are disappointed to learn of your experience. We are dedicated to providing training and development opportunities for our employees to grow ... More

Worst job I've ever had...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Dominium full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I honestly can't list one pro.

Cons

Miserable, mind-numbing, demeaning, pull your hair out type of work environment topped off with unrealistic expectations, managers who have obviously drank plenty of the koolaid or just haven't worked at a good company to know that Dominium is pretty darn terrible. Don't expect to work 40 hours/ week, plan on 50 or there is no way you will finish the pile of work you will be given with little to no training.
    And don't plan on having a life outside of work, oh no...there is zero flexibility here. Unless of course you like to work until midnight because you left for a dental appt that afternoon.
    The culture and the people will slowly suck the life out of you. It's painfully clear that this company is run by old white men--no people of color, no women as developers or development associates, and an owner who walks around with a cigar in his mouth. It's a boys club for sure and if you don't fit that then you mean nothing.
    I still have nightmares from working there. I couldn't be happier to be gone. Don't make the same mistake I did. They sure make it sound great but believe me, it's awful.

Advice to Management

Lose the arrogance and start acknowledging your employees. Besides the ones in development.

Jun 12, 2015HR Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are sorry to learn of your negative experience. We are committed to creating a culture of diversity, equality, and a healthy life/work balance ... More

6. Community Manager

Current Employee - Community Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Dominium full-time (More than a year)

Pros

upper management is extremely supportive and works hard to help you succeed. Always willing to get their hands dirty alongside you and share the load. Pay, PTO, benefits all fair. Best property management company I have ever known or worked for.

Cons

Difficult to work with the budgets given.

Advice to Management

Keep showing your employees how much you value them. It is what makes this company so unique and an honor to work for.

It was a pleasant working environment.

Former Employee - Community Assistant
    Former Employee - Community Assistant

I worked at Dominium full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours were good and flexible. Small office and opportunity for advancement.

Cons

The commute to work was about 30 minutes

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Absolutely no place for Black People.

Current Employee - Community Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Dominium full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay.. Very Fair with PTO..

Cons

No Black people in senior management, no Black people at the Home Office.. Majority of the Black people work on site. You never hear about them getting promoted, only fired for strange reasons. It is as if they keep just a few to say they have some. Went to a convention that was for every employee 800+ people and their was only 23 black people.

Everyday is a fire alarm. The Regional's operate out of fear an emotions daily, so they are always on edge that causes the entire staff to be rattled. This is the type of company that tell you your problem areas by list. You then conquer that list and think you are in the clear, however, instead of great job, you get a new list that was not apart of the first one. So you keep playing this game.

Not to mention you get Company training 6 months after your hire date. After you have gone through trial and error.

Advice to Management

Hire more Black People!! We are qualified. I actually have a Master's Degree and currently working on my PHD. However, you always see the Regional telling the WHITE high school graduate to self nominate themselves, and they will vouch for them. I honestly thing the Regional's and VP's know that the owners are racist and they know better than to co sign for a Black person to be in a higher position with fear of it coming back on them, in a negative light.

May 4, 2015HR Representative

Thank you for your comment.
    Dominium is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified applicants and employees. Dominium prohibits employment discrimination on the basis of
    ... More

9. oh no they are horrible

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

I have been working at Dominium full-time (More than a year)

Pros

20% off your rent only good thing

Cons

they lie about promotions, raises, commissions suck.

Advice to Management

you can most certainly pay more

I thought it would get better...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Dominium full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're male and work in Development, there are perks.

Aside from that, I did enjoy all of the wellness events (blood drives, massages, fitness challenges, flu shot clinics).

Cons

When I started I didn't really receive any training. I was thrown into my cube and left to figure things out for myself. On more than one occasion I was told to "Google" something to figure things out. I eventually stopped asking my supervisor for help because it was fruitless.

Communication was always an issue. I felt like I was never in the loop on things until it was a fire drill situation and things had to get done NOW. I tried to set up weekly meetings with my boss, but he never kept them.

PTO is ridiculous. Only 4 days in your first year??!!

I frequently felt that I had to babysit the people in my department. Making sure they got to their meetings on time or that they knew meetings were even taking place. I felt like there was no appreciation for other people's time. Why schedule meetings when people schedule right over them or flat out don't show up?

It is a micro-managed environment with procedures for everything, including for when the power goes out and for what restaurants lunches can be ordered from for meetings.

I was never paid what I was worth in the open job market. I had to ask for a raise to get up to ALMOST the average wage for my position. I got my raise and then my bonus was cut in half, all while others in my department were getting 5 figure bonuses twice a year.

There really were no consequences for not getting your work done on time. Even upper level management will let a lot of things slide, especially when it's not viewed as an important task.

Advice to Management

Start to value ALL of your employees, not just the ones who are "making you money." Understand that people have family and lives outside of work and that not everyone enjoys working 60 hours a week. Every employee is valuable and if you keep them happy, they will stay with the company longer, work harder for you, and make you more money. And it doesn't hurt to tell someone that you appreciate the work they're doing - a simple thank you goes a long way.

Leasing

I have been working at Dominium

Pros

PTO is decent
    Rent discount if you live at one of their properties

Cons

Career Suicide. No advancement opportunities. Upper management is clueless.

RSS Feed </> Embed