Domino's

Updated October 4, 2014
3.4

Domino's President, CEO, and Director J. Patrick Doyle
J. Patrick Doyle

Pros
  • Great co-workers, Normally Flexible Hours, Can be a fun atmosphere to work in (in 45 reviews)

• If you need a flexible schedule, this is the job for you (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • 80 cents is scratching the surface when it comes to wear and tear (in 19 reviews)

• With any fast food minimum wage job you will get the scum of the earth (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

30 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Love it at Domino's. Terrific opportunity for those with a great attitude and a willingness to work hard.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Domino's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities and culture.
    People are straight forward and helpful.
    Really amazing things happening with technology.
    The headquarters office (called the world resource center) is really cool.
    You're making pizzas for people. It's fun!

Cons

It can be hard work. The stores get very busy, particularly during their rush.

Corporate IT @World Headquarters Review (Mid Level)

Former Employee - Software Development in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Software Development in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Domino's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co workers at my level were good people mostly.
    Health Insurance is fairly cheap (but for IT work honestly not all that great).

Cons

HR will only pay up to a MAXIMUM of the 70th percentile of the average cost of <insert job title here> in the Greater Detroit Area. If you work in IT, you probably realize how ridiculous and stupid this is. Domino's is a company that says they are "Exceptional", yet the pay they offer - HR does not allow over that 70th percentile. HR will likely try and sell you on taking a lower salary than you otherwise would because they have a X% bonus (dependent on where they place you in the hierarchy). Personal opinion - don't take it. It isn't a guaranteed bonus. Also, that argument is purely ridiculous. A bonus should be a bonus, not something that "gets you up" to market level. Ugh.

In IT we have INCREDIBLE mobility, so predictably a lot of people go to Domino's, get denied raises (or get piddling single digit ones, even while the company stock is doubling every year) and ragequit. Think about it - it's pretty easy to get a raise at most companies as an IT worker. It simply does not make sense to stay at a place giving you a $1000 raise a year (or typically, less) - when you can walk out the door and make $20k more nearly _anyplace_ else, because you work in IT and are actually good at your job. HR seems to not understand this. Honestly, HR at Domino's is malignant, and incredibly frustrating to deal with. What's more, they will treat you like a child, almost guaranteed. They will talk down to you and say you don't know what you actually should be making. They will browbeat you until you tell them why you are unhappy, why you can't adjust to what they are "so gracious" to give you, and tell you to shut up. I could write an entire essay about them, but I'll stop there.

Further, promotions are insanely and detrimentally political. They interview all the VPs in your department before allowing a promotion at the mid level??? IT is 150 people and there are like 5 VPs! So if you land at Domino's, plan to shmooze for the long term.

Expect to work in a Silo. "Warring" teams definitely are the norm here. It almost seems like they encourage it! Pretty much no IT team has any accountability to any other, and they are kept in their own section for some bizzarre reason. It's an open office design (don't get me started on this.... you WILL get sick more often) so I don't understand why people aren't moved around with their projects and teams can't ACTUALLY collaborate?

Domino's Corporate Culture is absolutely INSANE. Prepare to have one 2 hr company meeting a month. Prepare to feel like you have your eyes pried open and are forced to watch pandering, insulting drivel - kind of like that scene in "A Clockwork Orange" with the main character in the theater with his eyes pried open. Just... the most insane corporate cheerleading you can possibly imagine. It gets old really fast.

Lastly - you will be required to be at the office 9-4 M-F. Ok, at any other job this makes sense, but IT workers? Practically any other IT job lets you work from home some or flex schedule outside of 9-4 MF. Why not Domino's? "The store workers can't work from home, so why should you be able to?" If I shook my head any harder, it might fall off. Get with the times or become a dinosaur, Domino's.

To the execs: If you're going to double your own salaries over a period of 3 years, at least increase the salaries of your workers a LITTLE bit, for f*** sake. Seriously, do the right thing and PAY WHAT YOUR PEOPLE ARE WORTH, ESPECIALLY IN IT. Until you do that, this place will continue to be a nightmare for many, as you will note in MANY other reviews how people are saying it was a depressing, soul crushing job. Is HR seriously OK with that??? I think it would be silly to believe that they don't read reviews on glassdoor.com. After all, as it was explained to me by HR many times "they know the market conditions better than [you] do!"

To the middle management: Let's be real here - politically, this place is toxic. It's a "pain contest" in every way, only way people are getting promotions is by being there the longest and greasing the most palms. It's completely obvious.

There should be more managers fostering inter-team collaboration. Some do this; most don't. And you know what happens? Warring silos. IT workers hating this team or that team because they "never get anything done", just overall ridiculous situations brought on by "Launch and Flee" attitudes (launch your finished project, run away as fast as you can before we have to support it! Dump it on team X quick they support this because <vague reason>) being VERY prevalent (and accepted!) and a really bad system of accountability between levels. At above the VP level or above, outside your team - don't expect any support from anyone. You may have to kick and scream to get things done. It is what it is. Again I go back to "warring silos". The only way management can fix these things is be honest about them and holistically take steps to address them. IE - monitor these specific behaviors, make sure everyone knows they are NOT ok. Otherwise, dysfunction, unending - just a guess.

Lackluster!

Former Employee - Delivery Expert in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Delivery Expert in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Domino's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Going home with Cash Nightly was about the only reason this job was worthwhile.

Discounts on certain Menu Items up 40% off.

Some Managers were very cool to and decent to work for and others not so much.

Cons

Put tons of Miles on my Vehicle only was making 3.25 per hr while on Delivery.

You're over scheduled constantly and hardly are they willing to be flexible if you work a second job or are taking classes going to school.

Sometimes certain crew members began to form cliques of the "Cool Kids" and if you weren't liked they would be real quick to try to get you pushed out ie; Sent home early or try to Steal Big Order Deliveries from you in order to make a Larger Tip, thus screwing you out of money.

Domino's Doesn't really provide much opportunity for Career Advancement unless you want to become a General Manager which then is the Only time you'll make enough money to be considered a Livable Wage.

After putting in 4yrs with this Company, i received only a 1.28 Raise in 4yrs.

My Store owner was more of a Penny Pincher.

Broken

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Domino's as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay; new or updated work space

Cons

Broken management structure; terrified, depressed, unhappy employees

Typical food service jobq

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Domino's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good money if you get into the right location. Most neighborhood stores don't offer much in terms of benefits , but if you can work in a campus store this is a huge plus. They also have flexible hours and flexible scheduling.

Cons

Very little in terms of benefits or perks.

More time needs to be spent on employee relations and employee development and training.

Welcoming team, good experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Domino's (more than an year)

Pros

All of my review is from working at corporate headquaters.

Good work/life balance, never worked late. Flexible hours. Benefits and bonuses are nice. Free on-site gym and facilities.

Cons

Work got routine and boring at times. Work culture feels a bit old, but to be expected given their upper management history. On-site cafe is expensive.

Look into to further modernizing work culture and environment.

Business Consultant

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Domino's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fairly easy work. Not too much pressure on your shoulder when it comes to work itself. I find it as almost a joke if you compare the work other consultants do at sizible consulting firms.

Cons

You need to deal with typical political BS and it's a random luck what kind of Boss you would get. you will feel this company is biased on gender and race if you are not white, especially if you work in international side of the operations.

Find a REAL Executives who knows how to work not a old farts who have been with company just long enough or savy enough to get by without producing any real work. I feel this company can be really great if they do a tghter HR practice, especially performance review on employees. This company still doesnt have a professional system when it comes to HR. A joke so far.

Interns the only ones giving Dominos good rating. Once you work for them different story.

Former Employee - Information Technology in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Domino's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice building and they have a gym.

Cons

I agree with a previous review that noted all the positive reviews for Dominos came from interns and not hired employees. Once you work for them it is a different story. The corporate culture here is suffocating and they own your life. They offer the TAD incentive bonus program but there is a high price to pay for this - give up home life, family etc. When I worked there for over a decade, I watched it go from a good company to a bad company when the NEW regime took control. They took the corporate power and control way too far. The managers have very little education and are taught to breathe down your neck and monitor everything you do. Destroys any creativity you are brave enough to muster up. Best thing I ever did was leave this company. My career has flourished and my creativity, confidence and happiness have returned since I left Domino's oppressive atmosphere and culture.

You need to establish a balance in the corporate power mongers on the 3rd floor. They control too much as a wise HR person in a previous review explained.

You need to be an intern to enjoy the experience

Former Employee - Information Services in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Information Services in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Domino's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. The building is nice. There are some incredible folks working for this company, but unfortunately the bad outweighs the good.

Cons

It's interesting that the last 8 positive reviews of this company were submitted by temporary interns. Once you're on the payroll and have a real job in this company, things work quite a bit differently. I would like to see more reviews from actual employees of this company for a better view of what a career at Domino's looks like.

Everything in life is a learning experience and I will take my tenure at Domino's as a stepping stone in my career. I met a lot of great folks, but the system here just does not work for most people. I feel bad for all the folks who have been let go or left voluntarily due to the current situation. I hope they all land on their feet as well as I did.

I was an intern for Domino's Supply Chain

Current Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Domino's as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Structured program, recognizable name, intern support across departments

Cons

More responsibility for summer project

Allow distribution centers more control of operations