Domino's

Updated October 19, 2014
3.4

Domino's President, CEO, and Director J. Patrick Doyle
J. Patrick Doyle

Pros
  • Great co-workers, Normally Flexible Hours, Can be a fun atmosphere to work in (in 45 reviews)

• If you need a flexible schedule, this is the job for you (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • 80 cents is scratching the surface when it comes to wear and tear (in 19 reviews)

• With any fast food minimum wage job you will get the scum of the earth (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

delivery driver

Former Employee - Driver in Canton, GA
    Former Employee - Driver in Canton, GA

I worked at Domino's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people I worked with were amazing, the hours were pretty decent.

Cons

The tips could be really crappy sometimes.

Land of the dots....

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Winder, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Winder, GA

I worked at Domino's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people a great. Easy work and easy to work your way up.

Cons

For management the hours blow and pay is not good

Maybe some breaks while a t work. Let managers see their families..

Do core values as a team, work well with Domino's?

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Snellville, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Snellville, GA

I have been working at Domino's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It used to be a really fun place to work. The atmosphere is fun, the people (customers) are great, and you get the chance to establish a sense of community.

Cons

Management is terrible. You have GM's that are 18 and have not had to make serious life decisions before. Why stick that on them? I guess it really depends what store you get put in.

Be real, be yourself. Don't favor anyone. Be nice and stop cussing. It's no fun to come into work, only to be yelled at once again, or to hear certain words. It's disgusting how some of you think you know how to run your stores. I don't know everything, but I know respect, and respect can go a long way.

Its an OK job.

Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Domino's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Steady income. Flexible Schedule. Delicious Pizza.

Cons

Stays open and gets crazy busy during hazardous weather.

Great if your car gets great mpgs and you have a knack for customer service.

Former Employee - Delivery Expert in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Delivery Expert in Marietta, GA

I worked at Domino's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Different wages when in the door and out the door lead to better paychecks as a delivery driver instead of having to mainly rely on tips.
    Easy to learn and make different dishes and pizzas.
    Plenty of pizza to eat.

Cons

Continuously driving and putting gas in your vehicle can take a toll on you and your wallet.
    Unless you work nights you won't make any money as a delivery driver.

N/A

Great Tips before the economy bottomed out!

Former Employee - Dominos Delivery Driver in Cartersville, GA
    Former Employee - Dominos Delivery Driver in Cartersville, GA

I worked at Domino's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, Great management, Great tips. Never go hungry again! Cross-training for delivery driver down times.

Cons

The economy bottomed out. Between rising gas prices, car maintenance and cheap customers, the hourly pay just wasn't enough!

Value what your employees do for you!

Fun, exciting, yet physically demanding, surprisingly.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Acworth, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Acworth, GA

I worked at Domino's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was the only girl, so no drama! Miss working with 'the guys'.

Cons

it would go from 'so slow you want to beat your head on the wall' to 'so slammed you run to catch pizzas'.

Have more than just one CSR in the store, especially on Superbowl Sunday!!!

working at dominos is an average job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Domino's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

this job is really boring at times

Cons

not fun at all working there

Hell on wheels

Former Employee - Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Domino's

Pros

Bonus Potential, experience in how important training is. Number of people and personalities you get to interact with. Franchise opportunity.

Cons

Hours, base pay, benefits, pay of employees, senior management communication, work life balance, advancement, lack of communications of expectations,

You will learn and practice skills at dominos that you will carry for the rest of your life. Beyond the learning experience there is little to offer. Domino's is about building and developing franchises.

Decent company for a part time driver. Stay away from management.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Domino's

Pros

I can say with all honesty, that Domino's treats their sub-management employees very well. Job security is very strong if you put in even the bare minimum of effort (for both managers and non-managers). Corporate offers a solid benefits package (paid vacation, medical and dental insurance, 401k). Unfortunately, this short list is all I can come up with as far as pros.

Cons

Okay, I'll try to be as detailed as I can in order to describe why I feel Domino's was a poor company to work for.

First, I'll address the job itself. Working for Domino's it a real test of your patience every single shift. As a manager, you are expected to work long, long hours...in addition those hours tend to alternate from opening and closing shifts. The glaring negative of this is that your life overall tends to lack a sense of "stability" when you work as a manager. Also, you recieve no additional compensation for said hours whatsoever if you are a Store Manager, yet they are expected, period. Domino's system is set up such that you as a manager feel obligated to do EVERYTHING yourself. By this I mean that little or no responsibility is placed on any employees other than the manager, and moreover, the labor system itself places a heavy burden on the manager to limit the hours (labor) allocated to said employees. This leads to a "send everyone home, I have to do everything tonight and save labor cause it's important for my job" mentality. Now, I'm not saying that this isnt possible, in fact you sort of get used to being overworked, but over time it's really no way to spend your working life. In general I have found the Corporate Operations staff to be woefully unmotivated in regards to practical store operations (ie, you go to a manager meeting and they are basically "Let's get motivated to work, work, work! Yeah we love Domino's!", then you leave and return back to working 70 hours a week for almost nothing). Which leads me to a major issue with Domino's...Pay.

Okay, I understand the pay for any "uneducated" position is going to be low...I really do. But the pay to effort ratio for Domino's management is simply terrible. An assistant manager for Domino's Pizza starts at $9/hr. Then the raise structure takes you up to $10/hr (and you better believe you will be working your ass off for that 10). 10 dollars per hour is the maximum possible pay you can make other than running a store. So the next logical step is to become a store manager, but when you become a store manager is when the pay to effort ratio goes out of control. Store managers make about $14/hr typically...some more, some less. This is for 40 hours salaried. But you dont work 40 hours as a Domino's manager, not a chance. You work 60...minimum. In fact I should really say 70 minimum because that's the actual number I've heard 2 different MCO's demand of my store manager. Now, alot of store managers for other businesses put in 70 or more hours per week, but the financial rewards for that are generally very good. This is not the case for Domino's. The "bonus" system to potentially make working 30 hours a week for nothing worth it is a rediculous shell game (especially if you are the manager of a medium-low volume store). Getting a bonus in alot of stores is straight up impossible. I'll just say your bonus is based off balancing inflated corporate labor ($7.25hr for drivers) with inflated corporate food (ridiculously overpriced commisary which is set up to always make a profit off stores, always) and your fixed costs (which are manipulated by Domino's at their whim...ie, advertising held off to certain months to when you have a chance at a bonus, im serious). The bonus in most stores simply cant be attained (infact I went to an area meeting a couple months ago where it was stated that only 3 of the 52 stores in our area actually made a bonus, all of which were high volume stores, of course). So there you are as a store manager, killing yourself and giving up your life for barely enough money to support a place to sleep "after work" or a car to drive "to work". It's getting by I guess, but it's not a comfortable or rewarding way to live by any stretch.

My primary advice I guess would be to restructure your bonus system so that store managers actually have a chance of making anything (particularily in low volume stores). It's easy to sit back and tell them to "get motivated" and turn the store high volume so they even have a chance at a bonus when you work your cushy 9-5, making great pay because corporate is supported regardless of how individual stores struggle. Assistant manager as a position sucks in every way, but it would be fine if it could actually just be a transition to something truely rewarding at the store manager level, but as it is...that just isnt the case.