Donaldson Company Reviews

Updated April 20, 2015
74 reviews filtered by
Donaldson Company Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Cook
Bill Cook

Pros
  • I like to work for Donaldson because it has good work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Strong, global company, with good benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for career growth (in 3 reviews)

• Senior Management does not value employee development (in 3 reviews)

1. Director of Engineering

I have been working at Donaldson Company full-time

Pros

Great people. Very ethical company. Opportunities to move within company for development.

Cons

Retirement benefits reduced over the past several years.

2. Great company!

I have been working at Donaldson Company

Pros

I really love working for Donaldson. They focus on your growth and help you succeed in your career. They help you make the best decision not only for the company but for yourself. Great work environment and great people. The benefits are awesome as well.

Cons

As long as I have worked at Donaldson I have not experienced anything negative

3. A very white male dominated organization that does not value outside of the box thinking

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Donaldson Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Employees are great to work with and always willing to help you out when you have a question.
    - The company values charitable work, as a result each month has a different charity like putting together backpacks of school supplies, sponsoring families for the holidays, to the MS Bike Ride, The Unite Way and being a regular participant in blood donations.

Cons

- No ability to develop a career due to the lack of opportunities and training.
    - If you make an error, it'll be held against you for years, coming up years later when it is no longer an issue.
    - Lack of minorities in any level of the company and lack of women as senior levels.
    - Outdated technologies to go along with outdated thinking.
    - Lack of appreciation for any idea that is outside of the box, instead it'll be held against you for not following the rank and file.
    - Annual decreases in benefit packages as the company relies on its employees to carry the burden. When I left the best plan if I needed surgery would've likely caused me to go into debt to cover the copays and deductibles.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting executives from within. There needs to be outside people brought in so you know how companies work post-recession. The current line of thought isn't working and it will drive the company into the ground sooner rather than later.

5. Nice place to work. Gained good experience in my field and the management was respectable and easy to work with.

I worked at Donaldson Company (Less than a year)

Pros

The management, specifically my boss, was great to work for. Knowledgeable about their field but also encouraging of personal career growth for employees. Good pay as well.

Cons

Working in the communications department, there was not a lot of opportunity to be very creative in terms of marketing and branded materials.

6. Work environment

Current Employee - Production/Operator in Chillicothe, MO
    Current Employee - Production/Operator in Chillicothe, MO

I have been working at Donaldson Company

Pros

Pay is better than most around these small towns
    Can eventually work your way up to 5 weeks vacation per year.
    several holiday time off.

Cons

Have to deal with alot of unnecessary politics.
    Medical bennifetts are also on the lower side.
    No dental or vision.
    economy based, when poor economy, plan for a layoff.

Advice to Management

Stay consistent.

7. good company

Former Employee - Ironworker in Nicholasville, KY
    Former Employee - Ironworker in Nicholasville, KY

I worked at Donaldson Company

Pros

safety concious,good pay,good benefits,good supervisors

Cons

none, well ran ,organized,nice breakroom

Advice to Management

none

8. Management

I have been working at Donaldson Company

Pros

There are none anymore. Used to be a great company, but now stuck in downward spiral due to poor leadership. Too bad, but glad I have no stock anymore.

Cons

Executive's have lost touch. No sales at top line. Cannot attract talent anymore because of the good old boys running it. It is known fact if CEO likes you then you can do no wrong. If not he has no time for you. Half the people he has promoted (like sales) are not getting results and they are blaming it on economy. Keep claiming growth with no growth. Benefits continue to get worse and leadership are not leaders. This used to be great company and I never thought I would leave, but now I am so glad I did as they lay off some good people I worked with.

Advice to Management

Keep watching your good people leave.

How does management bullying fit with company ethics statement?

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Donaldson Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There were many good people in management, but most have left and been replaced by shameless climbers. This was one of the few companies around that had both a 401k match and pension, but the pension has been diminished.

Cons

Bullying of staff by upper management is rampant, and HR ignores it. The old collegial atmosphere has been replaced by nastiness. The new CEO is likely to make it worse, since some of his protégés are the worst offenders. IT has been neglected for so long that trying to catch up with current technologies and methods has been disruptive.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves, look around at how people are treated and what kinds of behavior are rewarded.

The potential of Donaldson

I have been working at Donaldson Company

Pros

100 year old company offering complete multi lines of filtration solutions. Strong global presence with brand recognition and 10,000+ employees.

Cons

Completely bottom line oriented and suffering from lack of top line growth capability. Corporate double-speak about importance of growth is no longer believable.

11. Worked at Donaldson for 10 years. Great at first, went downhill fast.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Donaldson Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are some outstanding, caring people at Donaldson. My last manager was the best I have ever worked for in a 32+ year career. I was given a lot of opportunity to grow.

Cons

Senior management complete lack of caring for employees. They talk a good game, but actions speak much louder. Always looking for ways to cheap out, benefits package went from being outstanding to being meh...
    Every year they go through "burn the furniture" mode and never spend money on improving employee's skills and knowledge. Do just enough to keep a mass exodus from happening. Glad I got out before the new CEO takes over because he will drive the place into the ground

Advice to Management

You need to invest to make money. That includes innovation, tools and, your most important asset your employees. Unfortunately, as long as Mr. Carpenter is CEO, the downward slide will continue. But he will have great explanations (excuses) for the slide.