Donaldson Company Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
69 reviews filtered by
Donaldson Company Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Cook
Bill Cook

Pros
  • I like to work for Donaldson because it has good work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Strong, global company, with good benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for career growth (in 3 reviews)

• Senior Management does not value employee development (in 3 reviews)

1. Nice place to work. Gained good experience in my field and the management was respectable and easy to work with.

I worked at Donaldson Company (less than a year)

Pros

The management, specifically my boss, was great to work for. Knowledgeable about their field but also encouraging of personal career growth for employees. Good pay as well.

Cons

Working in the communications department, there was not a lot of opportunity to be very creative in terms of marketing and branded materials.

2. good company

Former Employee - Ironworker in Nicholasville, KY
    Former Employee - Ironworker in Nicholasville, KY

I worked at Donaldson Company

Pros

safety concious,good pay,good benefits,good supervisors

Cons

none, well ran ,organized,nice breakroom

none

3. The potential of Donaldson

I have been working at Donaldson Company

Pros

100 year old company offering complete multi lines of filtration solutions. Strong global presence with brand recognition and 10,000+ employees.

Cons

Completely bottom line oriented and suffering from lack of top line growth capability. Corporate double-speak about importance of growth is no longer believable.

5. Worked at Donaldson for 10 years. Great at first, went downhill fast.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Donaldson Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are some outstanding, caring people at Donaldson. My last manager was the best I have ever worked for in a 32+ year career. I was given a lot of opportunity to grow.

Cons

Senior management complete lack of caring for employees. They talk a good game, but actions speak much louder. Always looking for ways to cheap out, benefits package went from being outstanding to being meh...
    Every year they go through "burn the furniture" mode and never spend money on improving employee's skills and knowledge. Do just enough to keep a mass exodus from happening. Glad I got out before the new CEO takes over because he will drive the place into the ground

You need to invest to make money. That includes innovation, tools and, your most important asset your employees. Unfortunately, as long as Mr. Carpenter is CEO, the downward slide will continue. But he will have great explanations (excuses) for the slide.

Getting worse

Current Employee - Corporate
    Current Employee - Corporate

I have been working at Donaldson Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I used to think it was a good conservative company that cared about employees. Hard to find any Pros at this point and many people are leaving and many looking to leave.

Cons

Good old boy network. Not what you do, but who you know. Benefits continue to get worse every year, pension is gone, environment is no fun at all. Wooohooo we are getting fitness center with annual raises of 1.5% to 2.5%. Oh and Exec claim low salary, but they sure do get paid in options, stock, benefits, etc... This is not anything other than another get the rich richer complany.

Wonder why people are leaving!!! Are you going to do anything about it?
    Open your eyes before you lose what was a great company. Oh and the new CEO in waiting will not improve the environemtn for sure.

Pretty standard corporate position

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Donaldson Company

Pros

Very conservative.. Have to wait your turn to move up. Expect you to stay it same position 2+ years before moving up in the company. Great workplace environment. Great benefits.

Cons

Very conservative. Won't spend money to upgrade offices/buildings.. Takes awhile to move up in company.

Offer great products but disappointing a minority make it rough for many.

Former Employee - Sales in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Sales in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Donaldson Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Develops and manufactures world leading filtration solutions, historically a very stable business, currently achieving accelerated growth, serves customers with integrity and expertise, lots of kind, dedicated and intelligent employees, corporate is located in the Twin Cities which is a nice place to live and raise a family, pay and compensation is good.

Cons

Not only does Upper Management and HR management turn a blind eye to serious harassment and bullying, they promote and encourage its continuation against the unwarranted recipient. This has set a precedence for an environment where employees contemplate between doing what the company's sponsored ethics training asks them to do while potentially losing their job or go with the status quo and live with it.

Don’t assume that because an individual is a top performer in sales they're capable of effectively managing and leading sales people.

9. Sucks

Former Employee - Test Technician in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Test Technician in Valencia, CA

I worked at Donaldson Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nothing, no respect for the employees, the company looks like a prison, all people in the management actuate like big boss , they make you feel like useless and disposable

Cons

Awful people they show not respect for nobody, you are disposable

Check the policies

10. A great company. Solid brand and global operations.

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Donaldson Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Majority of employees have been with company 15 plus years. Best training and values I have seen in a company. Great advancement opportunities mostly in the US but internationally as well.

Cons

salary was low for the position. Benefits were standard. Company was a bit over structured for my taste. Felt that a 50k position should be paid closer to 70k.

increase saleries a bit to retain new employees.

Very positive experience

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Bloomington, MN
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Donaldson Company as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with Donaldson mainly because of the corporate culture there. All the coworkers I interacted with are friendly and helpful. I learned a lot of technical skills from them and they are always willing to share their knowledge. Donaldson also has many fun events going on throughout the year, such as picnic and amusement park trip, etc.

Cons

The work can be slow, just like many other corporate jobs. But it also depends on your position and the of the year.