Donatos Pizzeria

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
3.1

Tom Krouse

Great people, fair management, and great pizza.

I have been working at Donatos Pizzeria

Pros

Working for Donatos as an assistant manager awards you with full time hours, and you will be eligible for benefits through WellCare, but you must sign up independently. Upper management is the fairest and kindest of any that I've previously worked for--and I've worked a lot of jobs in the past. Part time workers can expect to get about 15-25 hours per week, and hours are awarded to those who work hard, not for workers who suck up but do nothing.

The employees are friendly and helpful. Many of the employees have worked there for several years due to the work environment being relatively positive. Drivers are paid minimum wage, and they earn tips which can amount to nice earnings.

Managers receive a free lunch, and part time workers get a 50% discount on their lunches. If someone cancels an order after the pizza is made, we get to eat it. The pizza is phenomenal, so that's a perk.

Cons

This job requires you to be able to multitask and stay organized, and that can be negative to those who have a one-track mind. Everyone is responsible for every aspect of the job, so you have to be able to perform multiple tasks in a short time frame. While this comment isn't exactly a "con" it is part of why some people can't make the cut at Donatos.

As with any employer, there are times when drama enters the workplace but it tends to sort itself out.

You must have a lot of energy to work here. We keep a decent number of staff but sometimes we get unexpected high volume sales that will keep you constantly running the majority of the shift.

Breaks are very hard to come by when sales are high. There have been many times when I don't get to sit down one time during my whole shift. Sometimes you have to eat your lunch on the run.

I don't have any complaints. I think we might benefit from creating a 30 day performance trial for new employees in order to keep our staff lean.

Great part-time employment opportunity to make some extra money on the weekend.

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Donatos Pizzeria part-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a driver you get to bring home cash every night you work.

Cons

The people you may encounter can drastically change the mood and tone of the workplace.

Okay experience

Former Employee - Service Manager in Gahanna, OH
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Gahanna, OH

I worked at Donatos Pizzeria full-time (more than an year)

Pros

pay was around $9 for shift managers, $11 for service manager. easy to move up the company

Cons

hours suck. alot of times had to work closing and then open shifts 4-12 soetimes 2am. then open the next day... come in at 8am. EXTREMELY LABOR and PROFIT conscious. Leading to cutting staff on shifts and then getting crushed by yourself because you don't have enough employees

Stop caring so much about labor and care more about good service

Not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Cashier and Food Maker in Avon, IN
    Former Employee - Cashier and Food Maker in Avon, IN

I worked at Donatos Pizzeria part-time (more than an year)

Pros

co-workers and managers are great, flexible hours for high school students

Cons

stressful especially on weekends, not enough employees, no chance for a raise

give the employees a chance at getting a raise, give more benefits

A good place to get started in management.

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Donatos Pizzeria full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Promotes from within. You can start from the bottom and work your way up if you have leadership qualities, perseverance and have your life together. I get a lot of satisfaction seeing my contributions keeping the store on track.

Cons

Many who are attracted to working in a restaurant have problems of their own. The hardest part is seeing otherwise promising individuals self destruct.

Be aware of the challenge that travel presents on District Supervisors when planning their districts. District Supervisors should be able to talk with shift managers and associates in the store almost as frequently as he or she meets with the GM/AGM. There is a lot of quality wisdom that these individuals have through their experience. This is especially so since they are generally removed from being directly involved and can give fresh perspective to the whole team.

okay people, but its a dirty job!

I have been working at Donatos Pizzeria full-time

Pros

Employees, and customers are nice!

Cons

pay is crappy and there is always alot of greas!!

pay managment more!!

Good place for a first job, little pay raises unless management.

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Donatos Pizzeria part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the hours I received and how flexible management was with my high school schedule. Promotions seemed pretty normal but without one you will maintain the same pay. I started out as a counter girl but ended up learning how to everything other than be a driver. I learned a lot.

Cons

Little to no pay raises unless you get a promotion. Working in a pizza place isn't the best job, being a counter girl you get blamed for what the makers did to customers' pizza.

Stop rotating stores so much, fire people when they need to be fired instead of just cutting their hours until they quit like I saw happen to many people.

Bad management

I worked at Donatos Pizzeria

Pros

Good food, Quick cooks, Nice coworkers

Cons

Unprofessional Management, busy hours, long shifts

Treat people lower than you with respect

Totally fine pizza job

Former Employee - Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Donatos Pizzeria part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pretty good discount on pretty good pizza. I had good managers and fine training. Everyone I met from corporate was pretty nice. My hours were flexible enough. Nothing really awful about working here.

Cons

Minimum wage, wooooooo. They apparently have a plan/structure for people to get raises, but the store where I worked was not terribly organized in that regard. Customers blow. High employee turnover.

The store I worked at was a mess.

Former Employee - Store Associate/Driver in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Store Associate/Driver in Columbus, OH

I worked at Donatos Pizzeria part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked with some real good people. Made decent money driving.

Cons

The GM at my store should have done been fired. She played favorites and her favorites were allowed to be over two hours late and could get away with anything. She waited until the last minute to do the schedule so the day before the new schedule was about the start you still wouldn't know when you would be working and when it was posted there would be numerous mistakes on it like scheduling people when they weren't available to work.. She wouldn't provide us with the district supervisors contact number out of fear of us going over her head, even though it's a company with an open door policy. She would blame others for her mistakes and not take responsibility for her actions and would throw others under the bus.

Make sure that you are putting the right people in charge of your stores. The store I worked at was a mess because of a lousy gm. I would want someone as a gm who is able to hold themselves accountable and are able to take responsibility for their mistakes and not blame others or throw them under the bus. My issue was with that the gm at the store I worked at and not with the company itself. It would also be a good thing to make your managers take a course in basic psychology because the gm at the store I worked with couldn't understand on how to work with people, or to be able to show any empathy to workers or customers. I would also maybe have a paid vacations for associates who work over 30 hours a week.