Doner

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rob Strasberg

Great place to start

I have been working at Doner full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to learn. People will do what it takes to get things done. Everyone tends to be fairly nice to work with.

ConsLong hours. Shoddy communication between departments that hindered efficiency. Lots of hierarchy to contend with.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to ideas of change that come from people other than upper level management.

Bizarre Management. Like The Firm, but advertising.

ACD Art Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Doner full-time for more than a year

ProsDoner attracts national accounts in a more manageable city/suburb location.
Doner attracts some good creative talent from around the country. Management when I worked there was questionable, but there are good people trying to do good working there.
Better work environment and creative opportunities with new management.

ConsQuestionable financial situation. Either recently bought or soon to be bought by holding company. For better or worse, it is Detroit, it is a smaller remote, market unless you are working on cars. Difficult to keep ownership of your own work. Long hours with less ROI.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew management has uphill battle to rid the place of past perceptions. Keep following your heart and take care of the people who do the work.

Intern

Intern (Current Employee)
Southfield, MI

I have been working at Doner as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Given lots of responsibility
- Interaction with upper management
- A very young and fun company

Cons- lots of desk work

Marketing Intern

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
Southfield, MI

I worked at Doner as an intern for less than a year

ProsMotivated coworkers, many opportunities to excel

ConsInefficient corporate structure, there is some divide between the creative and interactive departmets

Advice to Senior ManagementRework idea generation structure between creative and other departments

Account Services

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Doner

ProsObviously some of the best reasons to work here are to gain experience on a range of accounts. Also, working at the HQ of a large agency is fun in terms of holiday parties and other perks.

ConsLonger hours than other agencies. Known as a "sweat shop" if you ask some people. However, due to the long hours I never felt my job was in jeopardy. Also, I was young and naive when I first started so terrible at negotiating salary and they smelled blood in terms of the fact they knew I really want to move back to MI so I go screwed in terms of pay. When I accepted the offer I asked for a review in 6 mos to potentially increase but never got it. Never got an offer for a significant increase (though my boss fought for me) until I got an offer somewhere else that I had already accepted.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are your best assets. Don't assume they don't know when they aren't getting screwed over because eventually the best ones leave.

Dysfunctional corporate culture leads to high turnover

Media Planner (Former Employee)
Detroit, MI

I worked at Doner

ProsIf just starting out in the business you will learn the skills needed for moving on to a better agency

ConsOut of touch upper management, lack of a defined corporate culture. I've never worked at a place with higher employee turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more visible to front line employees. It's no secret that working in advertising involves long hours with tight deadlines. For the first several years pay is low. Senior Management needs to communicate to these employees why working in advertising, and for Doner matters. Apart from providing a paycheck, senior management has not created any compelling reasons that makes employees want to stay with the agency.

Neutral

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Doner

ProsExperience working with a range of national clients. For anyone living in Michigan, a good opportunity to work for a "NY" or "Chicago" type agency.

ConsNot enough staff to get all the work done during reasonable hours. Frequent late nights (until 8-9 pm) and weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore support/staff to day to day operations.

The negative energy at Doner is palpable

Associate Creative Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Doner

ProsIt looks good on your resume. Bragging rights of surviving a sweat shop. Credibility as a hard worker.

ConsLow pay, comparatively. Very negative, fearful environment. Co-workers are all afraid for their jobs. Management has no regard for workers--only bottom line. Poor management isn't seen as a problem. No sense of loyalty from anyone--including employees. The culture promotes back-stabbing and rewards Machiavels.

The pay scale at Doner is lower than elsewhere, and the majority of us go years--if not indefinitely--without so much as a cost of living raise. After four years, I have yet to be reviewed by my boss (in fact, no one in the group is reviewed)--and hence, no bonus. Employee morale is terribly low, and its heartbreaking to see how it demoralizes co-workers. The overall management style is based on instilling fear, rather than respect and support.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe prepared for a mass exodus once the economy turns around.

Doner - Where advertising careers start but not where they blossom

Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Doner

ProsThe place can be young and fun with good people. Good recent creative hiring. Very strong client network.

ConsTerrible Pay. Way too many employees that couldn't pass a marketing 101 class. Upper management gives false hope for the actualities of responsibility improvements when promoted. There is a disgusting lack of empowerment by certain upper management, you may end up being very micromanaged. Perhaps from a lack of trust. In ability to keep talented people leads to working with less that satisfactory peers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust, learn, listen.

The end of an era (bye bye Canadian offices)

Associate Media Director (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Doner full-time for more than a year

ProsSmall agency with a team of bright, fun media people

ConsToo dependent on a few large clients

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage real team work between departments

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Doner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Doner reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Doner CEO Rob Strasberg. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Doner employees.