Donna Morgan

Updated February 22, 2015
Updated February 22, 2015
2.8

Kathleen McFeeters

Great place to learn and work!

I have been working at Donna Morgan

Pros

- energy and enthusiasm from all teams
    - CEO is inspirational and very forward thinking
    - design team is strong now - as of Jan 2015
    - small company, very hands on, work with many teams
    - work life balance

Cons

- no corporate structure in place

- create a strategy and implement corporate policies. Development plan would be key.
    - benefits should be better

Disfunctional work environment

Former Employee - Design in New York, NY

I worked at Donna Morgan full-time (less than a year)

Pros

not many maybe a few people

Cons

mismanaged and upper management doesn't help

get rid of kathleen

CEO tolerates and participates in verbal abuse of employees.

Former Employee - Design in New York, NY

I worked at Donna Morgan full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent salary and benefits

Cons

There is a high rate of employee turnover.

Great Career shaping experience!

Current Employee - Design in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Design in New York, NY

I have been working at Donna Morgan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started my design career at this company and learned so much, so quickly. I have always felt supported and guided by senior management and am very happy to be back working here.

Cons

It's hard work but rewarding!

Teamwork Environment

I have been working at Donna Morgan full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Overall great learning experience! While the company is small everyone works as though they are part of a large team. Kathleen McFeeters, the owner, is very involved in the business - she has a complete open door policy which is rare for an owner! She's willing to teach you anything you want to know - from design, production to sales as she's been in the business for many years. This is a fast paced environment which makes every day exciting and different. If you're willing to work hard, the company likes to promote within! Great work/life balance also - never expected to answer/write emails after hours or on weekends. Full benefits - just added dental too!

Cons

No day is different can be challenging for someone who needs structure. Understanding peoples role's within the company so they can help you further, for example IT to create reports etc.

Advice would be more structure for new employees such as a training program on all systems and processes.

Great company for growth

I have been working at Donna Morgan full-time

Pros

When I first started working at Donna Morgan I knew nothing about the industry, but the owner Kathleen McFeeters still brought me in. She gave me the opportunity to start from the ground up and provided me with all of the necessary resources to learn and grow within the company. I now sit in a senior management role and only see continued success for this company and those who work here.

Cons

Long hours (typical of any fashion house) -- Be ready to hit the ground running and learn quickly. This is not the right atmosphere if you are looking for an easy desk job.

A Great Learning Experience

I have been working at Donna Morgan full-time

Pros

Great place to learn about all areas of the industry. Being that it is a small company, you really get the chance to be hands on and learn from many knowledgeable colleagues. Even Assistant positions have a lot of say and involvement within the company which only makes the individual a more broadened This place gives you the opportunity to broaden your knowledge in many areas including design, sales, and production, it allows you to be a team player, strategize and be a problem solver. There is a great deal of talent and hard working dedicated people who are a pleasure to work with and whom there is a lot to learn from. I've learned a great deal at Donna Morgan and I can honestly say that if you are a hardworking dedicated individual, who is eager to learn you will be rewarded and appreciated without a doubt. Hard work is definitely recognized at Donna Morgan and with the right attitude anyone can go very far.

Cons

Here and there like in any other workplace you come across lazy people who like to gossip, there is no room and time for drama in such a fast paced environment. Get your work done, don't surround yourself around gossip and you will be fine.

Please continue to partner with cross functional partners and everything will continue to run smoothly as it has been. Partnership is key in any successful company.

Great Hands On Experience/Creatively Inspiring

I have been working at Donna Morgan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked in very large corporations and other small companies such as Donna Morgan, LLC. You should diligently research and educate yourself on the difference to see which environment is best suited for you. In a small company such as this one, there can be many benefits. It is a great opportunity to see the development of your product from start to finish. I am a smarter and more valuable player, having a 360 point of view of design, production, and sales because of the hands on experience. I am able to problem solve my own production issues because of my experience at DM. Seeing my sketch, having it draped/patterned, cut in beautiful fabrics, and then hanging in the showroom for selling to some of our best accounts like Saks, Neiman Marcus, Lord & Taylor, and Nordstroms is really exciting. When business is great all teams benefit and are rewarded. Egos must be left at the door, you have to be ready and willing to be a partner and team player with all of your cross functional partners as well as the CEO. The company CEO is very involved in the product, as she is very passionate, committed, and invested in all of her brands. She is a very smart/strong woman who is especially understanding and supportive of other Women, as well as Men, and families, as she is a very loving mother herself. If you are humble, talented, and smart - there are great opportunities for you in this environment.

Cons

This is no place for divas, only team players. You have to jump in running; only the strongest and brightest do well in this fast pace environment. If you are looking for an easy 9-5, this is not the environment for you. You have to be ready to get your hands dirty and participate in all areas of business.

Having worked for several different companies over my career, I can honestly say that no place comes without issues. You just have the find the right environment for you and your personality.

Great experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Donna Morgan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company offers so many opportunities to learn all areas of the business. You are encouraged to follow your passions. An open door policy to the owner is amazing she is always there to help. Co workers are fun, friendly all work very hard. There is tremendous respect for work /life balance. Great for people with families the CEO has a family and respects those priorities.

Cons

Fashion business it is fast paced. Very little structure can be good and bad. There is pressure to make your numbers however I am sure that is everywhere these days. They just changed the vacation policy and got dental so that change was good.

Take accountability for your depts. Put more structure in place.

"RUN LIKE YOUR ON FIRE"

I have been working at Donna Morgan

Pros

THERE ARE NONE; CORRECT NOT ONE...

Cons

No raises.
    Horrible compensation.
    12 Hour Work Days.
    Verbal Abuse from upper management.
    Only Laugh when CEO is laughing.
    Make money for the Company so CEO can spend it all on herself, prancing around with company paid clothing, shoes & purses.
    Learn nothing.
    No one to train you. Hired to do a job that the last person either ran away quickly or was fired.
    If you want to feel stupid, just work here.
    Stress from the work load & being harassed by the CEO
    No sleep from the days tension & worried about what you will be yelled at when you get into work the next day.
    Need a visit to a therapist, after working in Donna Morgan for 1 week.
    Co-workers crying from the CEO's abuse.
    Live in fear of being let go.
    No means of defense, just yes & humor the CEO.
    Always wrong, never a time that you are noticed for your accomplishments, only your failures.
    Word thank you does not exist in this company.
    Just to mention a few, there are many more...

Why does this place exist

Donna Morgan Photos