Donna Morgan

Updated July 29, 2014
Updated July 29, 2014
2.4

Kathleen McFeeters

Great Career shaping experience!

Current Employee - Design  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Design in New York, NY

I have been working at Donna Morgan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I started my design career at this company and learned so much, so quickly. I have always felt supported and guided by senior management and am very happy to be back working here.

Cons

It's hard work but rewarding!

CEO tolerates and participates in verbal abuse of employees.

Former Employee - Design  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Design in New York, NY

I worked at Donna Morgan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent salary and benefits

Cons

There is a high rate of employee turnover.

Teamwork Environment

I have been working at Donna Morgan full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Overall great learning experience! While the company is small everyone works as though they are part of a large team. Kathleen McFeeters, the owner, is very involved in the business - she has a complete open door policy which is rare for an owner! She's willing to teach you anything you want to know - from design, production to sales as she's been in the business for many years. This is a fast paced environment which makes every day exciting and different. If you're willing to work hard, the company likes to promote within! Great work/life balance also - never expected to answer/write emails after hours or on weekends. Full benefits - just added dental too!

Cons

No day is different can be challenging for someone who needs structure. Understanding peoples role's within the company so they can help you further, for example IT to create reports etc.

Advice would be more structure for new employees such as a training program on all systems and processes.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company for growth

I have been working at Donna Morgan full-time

Pros

When I first started working at Donna Morgan I knew nothing about the industry, but the owner Kathleen McFeeters still brought me in. She gave me the opportunity to start from the ground up and provided me with all of the necessary resources to learn and grow within the company. I now sit in a senior management role and only see continued success for this company and those who work here.

Cons

Long hours (typical of any fashion house) -- Be ready to hit the ground running and learn quickly. This is not the right atmosphere if you are looking for an easy desk job.

A Great Learning Experience

I have been working at Donna Morgan full-time

Pros

Great place to learn about all areas of the industry. Being that it is a small company, you really get the chance to be hands on and learn from many knowledgeable colleagues. Even Assistant positions have a lot of say and involvement within the company which only makes the individual a more broadened This place gives you the opportunity to broaden your knowledge in many areas including design, sales, and production, it allows you to be a team player, strategize and be a problem solver. There is a great deal of talent and hard working dedicated people who are a pleasure to work with and whom there is a lot to learn from. I've learned a great deal at Donna Morgan and I can honestly say that if you are a hardworking dedicated individual, who is eager to learn you will be rewarded and appreciated without a doubt. Hard work is definitely recognized at Donna Morgan and with the right attitude anyone can go very far.

Cons

Here and there like in any other workplace you come across lazy people who like to gossip, there is no room and time for drama in such a fast paced environment. Get your work done, don't surround yourself around gossip and you will be fine.

Please continue to partner with cross functional partners and everything will continue to run smoothly as it has been. Partnership is key in any successful company.

Great Hands On Experience/Creatively Inspiring

I have been working at Donna Morgan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked in very large corporations and other small companies such as Donna Morgan, LLC. You should diligently research and educate yourself on the difference to see which environment is best suited for you. In a small company such as this one, there can be many benefits. It is a great opportunity to see the development of your product from start to finish. I am a smarter and more valuable player, having a 360 point of view of design, production, and sales because of the hands on experience. I am able to problem solve my own production issues because of my experience at DM. Seeing my sketch, having it draped/patterned, cut in beautiful fabrics, and then hanging in the showroom for selling to some of our best accounts like Saks, Neiman Marcus, Lord & Taylor, and Nordstroms is really exciting. When business is great all teams benefit and are rewarded. Egos must be left at the door, you have to be ready and willing to be a partner and team player with all of your cross functional partners as well as the CEO. The company CEO is very involved in the product, as she is very passionate, committed, and invested in all of her brands. She is a very smart/strong woman who is especially understanding and supportive of other Women, as well as Men, and families, as she is a very loving mother herself. If you are humble, talented, and smart - there are great opportunities for you in this environment.

Cons

This is no place for divas, only team players. You have to jump in running; only the strongest and brightest do well in this fast pace environment. If you are looking for an easy 9-5, this is not the environment for you. You have to be ready to get your hands dirty and participate in all areas of business.

Having worked for several different companies over my career, I can honestly say that no place comes without issues. You just have the find the right environment for you and your personality.

Great experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Donna Morgan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company offers so many opportunities to learn all areas of the business. You are encouraged to follow your passions. An open door policy to the owner is amazing she is always there to help. Co workers are fun, friendly all work very hard. There is tremendous respect for work /life balance. Great for people with families the CEO has a family and respects those priorities.

Cons

Fashion business it is fast paced. Very little structure can be good and bad. There is pressure to make your numbers however I am sure that is everywhere these days. They just changed the vacation policy and got dental so that change was good.

Take accountability for your depts. Put more structure in place.

Horrible work environment

I worked at Donna Morgan full-time for more than a year

Pros

You learn a lot since you're forced to do everything. You gain experience to add to a resume. Liked working with a lot of my co-workers.

Cons

Take a minute to scroll through all the reviews for Donna Morgan and you'll notice in 10 reviews spanning between 2011 to 2014 Donna Morgan didn't get a rating higher than 2 stars. The majority were only one star. Then all of a sudden, within the course of 3 days there are 6 new reviews, all positive with 5 stars. And the thing all these entries have in common is the glowing review of the CEO. Sound suspicious? That's the way this company works - everything about the CEO is cheating, lying, manipulative, and dishonest.

This is a warning for anyone considering taking a job at this place. Do your self a favor and stay away, no matter how desperate you are. Don't get sucked in because you will regret it. In the time that I was there I saw more people laid off and fired than I can count. I was treated like a slave, told to do whatever it takes to get the job done regardless of the number of hours I had to work, all while being extremely short staffed and getting no appreciation. Instead my team and I were constantly yelled at, blamed for things, and treated like dirt. No matter what your position, you will be doing the work of at least 3 people. Every department has been stripped down the bare minimum number of employees so that the CEO can cut costs while parading around and flaunting her extravagant lifestyle. At Donna Morgan you literally work like a dog to keep her rich, and get nothing in return.

There is zero work/life balance unless you're one of the higher ups. I didn't get home until late at night, and I even occasionally came in on the weekends. Not worth it.

Like I said, stay away.

Don't treat your employees like they are beneath you, hire more people, create more structure so things can actually run smoothly, even though at this point it's probably a lost cause..

IF YOU WANT A HORRIBLE WORK ENVIRONMENT, WORK HERE!

I worked at Donna Morgan full-time for less than a year

Pros

READ MY CON REVIEW....I WAS ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES THAT GOT OUT QUICKLY BEFORE SHE BROKE MY SELF ESTEEM.

Cons

Kathleen McFeeters, owner of Donna Morgan, is a manipulator. She made a handful of her current employees to write gleaming reviews to increase her approval score. The bottom line is, do not believe any of these reviews from May 27-28. Look at the rest and proceed with caution if you are thinking of working there. Believe me, she will fire all these people in a few months.

Too far gone for any advice.

"RUN LIKE YOUR ON FIRE"

I have been working at Donna Morgan

Pros

THERE ARE NONE; CORRECT NOT ONE...

Cons

No raises.
    Horrible compensation.
    12 Hour Work Days.
    Verbal Abuse from upper management.
    Only Laugh when CEO is laughing.
    Make money for the Company so CEO can spend it all on herself, prancing around with company paid clothing, shoes & purses.
    Learn nothing.
    No one to train you. Hired to do a job that the last person either ran away quickly or was fired.
    If you want to feel stupid, just work here.
    Stress from the work load & being harassed by the CEO
    No sleep from the days tension & worried about what you will be yelled at when you get into work the next day.
    Need a visit to a therapist, after working in Donna Morgan for 1 week.
    Co-workers crying from the CEO's abuse.
    Live in fear of being let go.
    No means of defense, just yes & humor the CEO.
    Always wrong, never a time that you are noticed for your accomplishments, only your failures.
    Word thank you does not exist in this company.
    Just to mention a few, there are many more...

Why does this place exist

Donna Morgan Photos

Worked for Donna Morgan? Contribute to the Community!