Donor Services Group

Great transitional job

Former Employee - Fundraiser  in  Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Fundraiser in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Donor Services Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule- min either 26 or 28 hours a week
    kind and understanding supervisors- some nicer than other but all are there to help you
    clean break rooms
    good location near public transit
    parking lot
    interesting co workers
    Great HR people who're sadly very over worked and very underpaid

Cons

Not much opportunity to move up with in the company
    While they provide health and dental benefits- they are terrible plans.
    No sick pay, vacation pay or PTO until you've worked here for 2 years (which is rare...)
    CEO of the company makes speeches about how we're all struggling yet drives into work with a Maserati.
    While it is necessary for the job to stick to the three ask structure it can be incredibly heart breaking to ask somebody for money with a terminal illness, going through serious health treatments, elderly folks who've just retired.
    There is some cold calling. Generally people who've signed some sort of online or street side petition either directly through the organization or something that would relate to it. Often times you are calling a young person, somebody unemployed, or a student who only signed since they have no money to donate or they would've.
    Parking lot- You will be paying to park here. I find this one just plain tacky.

Last but not least

You will get sick working here. Everybody has to use a hand punch time clock. There are only 5 or 6 in the building last time I was there. Even if you keep you hands washed, cleaned and sanitized I can guarantee you will be getting sick much more frequently than you are used to.

HR-Send people home who are obviously sick!

Treat and compensate your staff (HR, QC, front of house, callers, trainers) the way you would want to be if you expect good help to last because they aren't hanging around out of loyalty.

Working at DSG...

Former Employee - Tele Fundraiser  in  Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Tele Fundraiser in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Donor Services Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Flexible schedule
    -Cool Co-Workers
    -Multiple vending Machines

Cons

-They lie. They do have cold calling and it's for some of the worst NPO's to cold call for. (Planned Parenthood & ACLU)
    -Vermin (Roaches, spiders, bed bugs)
    -Turnover. BECAUSE they fire you.
    -Discriminatory treatment

More structure with your employees. You like to go on about how your facility is filled with some of the most OVER qualified in Los Angeles, well treat them like that. Also, thank you for changing your craigslist ad's. They were entirely misleading when I applied. It started with compensation at $13 and up. They now have changed it to be accurate. You start at $9 and their bonus structure is INSULTING.

I still get panic attacks thinking about this job

Former Employee - CO OP Fundraiser  in  Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - CO OP Fundraiser in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Donor Services Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

flexible schedule, they let you leave early if you need to, parking is pretty good, and you raise money for good causes

Cons

I know you're desperate for the money, and you probably think this is the best that you can do right now, but its not, you can do better. There are three types of people that work here. 1. The struggling artist, actor, musician who's been so beat up by the industry and found AA, who's self-esteem and confidence is broken. 2. Somewhat overweight men and women in there 50's, 60's, and 70's whose other options would be a greeter at Walmart or a cashier at Ralphs. 3. People like me, with a good education and somewhat depressed about the job market, who needed the money real bad and was drawn in by the "helping others" aspect of the job. Believe in yourself and keep looking because,wow, the job that I have now compared to this one is night and day. I wasted 6 months here because I thought this was the best job i could get instead of having the confidence in myself that I'm worth more. I finished in the top division, called Co-op, and was paid between $14-$17 an hour after bonuses and so forth. Plan on making 100 or more calls a day from an auto-dialer that rings non-stop. Bathroom breaks, and putting down your headset are all monitored. Sales are determined in 2 hour blocks, then you have a break, so if you have an awesome 2 hour block, forget it, because your screen resets and you start over for the next two hour block. The job I have now is great. Its a sales job (base plus commision) that values TOTAL sales and I work half as hard and make twice as much. My advice: keep looking

Sales are determined in 2 hour blocks, then you have a break, so if you have an awesome 2 hour block, forget it, because your screen resets and you start over for the next two hour block. This is a joke and it keeps morale down. They should see total sustainers, one time gifts for the whole day, not just two hour blocks. Everyone has a crappy two hour block and management should get that. But who cares, I'm out. Thank god

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Have never experienced such a poorly run place of business

Current Employee - Fundraiser  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Fundraiser in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Donor Services Group full-time

Pros

Decent training and a few nice floor managers

Cons

They really do look for ways to get rid of people as soon as their training is over. Not asking 3 times for money, no matter what the person on the other line is saying, will get you sent home. Hardly make anything on your paycheck. I'm not sure how they are still around.

Be a human being and nice. Don't just threaten and send people home. Work with people help them out you'll make more money with not having to train new people every week

It's a desperation job for people trying not to become homeless or people taking their first job after homelessness.

Current Employee - Fundraiser  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Fundraiser in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Donor Services Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's siightly better than no job at all but be sure it is short-lived so keep looking for a different job.

Cons

You are a dollar sign. If you fail to keep your stats up even for twenty minutes they will remove you from the floor for a long "break" or send you home. Nothing about you as a human being seems important to this company.

The turnover rate is very funny. They will train groups of people every single week and by the end of the month perhaps one is still holding on by their fingernails.

The supervisors are either obese, smokers or obsessive energy drinkers or All of the Above. Translation- they are all dodging their FEELINGS by using substances because they don't want to admit that their Reality SUCKS. lol. So the good news is that you will either be fired or will be edged out with weird tactics by supervisors who have lost touch with their own souls.

Aw.

Take it for what it is. A desperation job to help you out of a tight spot. KEEP LOOKING ELSWHERE FOR A REAL JOB where you could actually contribute and feel good about yourself and make a real living. Don't become a lifer here. Just LOOK at the very few long-term folks there. I mean, really LOOK at them. Do they look happy? Are They who you are striving to be?

Good luck. Keep livin'.

Karma. lol.

Fundraiser

Former Employee - Fundraiser  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Fundraiser in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Donor Services Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is a little better than some outfits.
    Extensive training.

Cons

1984-esque corporate culture. Big Brother is watching.
    Not schedule isn't as flexible as it could be.

Poor Experience

Former Employee - Fund Raiser  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Fund Raiser in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Donor Services Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Health Benefits, some good organizations called for

Cons

Very cheap and out of touch owner. Very little PTO. No 401(k) Horrible initial training as well as virtually no on going training.

Listen to the fundraisers and go to bat for them with the owner...they are the lifeblood of the organization. Quit changing rules to meet what the company want...put a guidebook in place and don't deviate from it.

Found this place to be a scam for employees!

Former Employee - Telemarketer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Telemarketer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Donor Services Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

You can make your own schedule. They have parking.

Cons

Every week they have about 15 new trainees start training, the training last for two weeks and the training is good. After that you start on the floor, and that is when they systematically try to get rid of you.At first you may do okay but not for long They keep a few long term employees but they don't want anyone to stay too long because after 90 days they have to start paying benefits. The supervisors have a system where they start giving you bad lists, people who never donate or have just donated. Then they tell you your numbers are way down and that is when they get rid of you. In the beginning they tell you very few will last because the work is hard. it's not hard, they don't want you to last. They actually set you up to fail. A few supervisors are okay and others are not so friendly, I guess because they know it is their job to let you go before 90 days. A real scam, yet they tell you how much they love Obama and how they raised so much money for his campaign. This place is really awful. a few of the management people are nice like the Hr person and two or three others, but mostly it is unfriendly and a real scam for workers. About the worst job i ever had.

Stop setting people up to fail!

Unpleasant place to work

Former Employee - Fundraiser  in  Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Fundraiser in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Donor Services Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible scheduling. You can show up unannounced and work a shift if a scheduled employee doesn't show up. Likewise, it's easy to take a day off if needed. People who are REALLY good at talking to strangers on the phone could get promoted up to one of the decent-paying levels.

Cons

Like most places with massive employee turnover, it's not a fun environment. Workers will have the honor of laboring under intense pressure, for pitifully small paychecks, to raise money over the phone for various causes. You will spend a lot of time receiving verbal abuse from people who aren't happy to have their dinner interrupted by your call. There are several weekly schedules for you to choose from, but none of them allows you to work 30 hours a week, at least not when I was there. So no health insurance for you, aspiring fundraiser. Also, some of the floor supervisors are not terribly friendly.

Work toward creating a more professional environment.

Learned invaluable information about many non profits

Former Employee - Fundraiser  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Fundraiser in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Donor Services Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Talk to people from all over the country and gain confidence in your fund-raiaing asks. I was on calls for Obama for America. Planned Parenthood and Humane Society or Oxfam and made such a difference. A job that makes you feel good! Work with creative and fun callers.

Cons

Some days you are on a very old file and it is frustrating because you need to keep your numbers up.

Bonus structure is confusing

Worked for Donor Services Group? Contribute to the Community!