Donor Services Group

Tom Siegel

Great People and Friendly outgoing people also

Current Employee - Paid Fund Raiser in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Paid Fund Raiser in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Donor Services Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training is great very insightful when you are new. Also the skills you learn here are ones you can use in any other carrier you choose to be in. Also you make you own schedule.

Cons

The hardest part of the job is to stay mentally focused when you are getting rejected for majority of day with angry people over the phone that actually support the cause you are calling them on,

Learn to bridge the gap between supervisors and the floor callers. The supervisors that are overseeing the operations are no longer on the phones and can't always give sound advice to people because there no longer able to relate. If I was to make suggestion is to have assistant supervisors that are still on the phone to real time help new people.

Very stressful

I have been working at Donor Services Group

Pros

Paid Training Session. That's all...

Cons

Immediate firings. Will fire you within 2 weeks.

Fundraiser

I have been working at Donor Services Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

easy schedule, and you just sit all day

Cons

low pay, and you get yelled at a lot on the phone.

pay fundraisers better

QUIT ASAP!

Current Employee - Telefundraiser in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Telefundraiser in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Donor Services Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

fairly flexible schedule, discounted metro fare. good location to metro stations. the newer people who work there are awesome.

Cons

the job is awful and upper management for the most part are MISERABLE PEOPLE. and their negativity trickles down to the callers.

Be nicer to people. I know you hate yourselves for abandoning your dreams and working at DSG but don't take it out on the callers. So much negativity just seeps through your pores, it's draining.

Great transitional job

Former Employee - Fundraiser in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Fundraiser in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Donor Services Group part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule- min either 26 or 28 hours a week
    kind and understanding supervisors- some nicer than other but all are there to help you
    clean break rooms
    good location near public transit
    parking lot
    interesting co workers
    Great HR people who're sadly very over worked and very underpaid

Cons

Not much opportunity to move up with in the company
    While they provide health and dental benefits- they are terrible plans.
    No sick pay, vacation pay or PTO until you've worked here for 2 years (which is rare...)
    CEO of the company makes speeches about how we're all struggling yet drives into work with a Maserati.
    While it is necessary for the job to stick to the three ask structure it can be incredibly heart breaking to ask somebody for money with a terminal illness, going through serious health treatments, elderly folks who've just retired.
    There is some cold calling. Generally people who've signed some sort of online or street side petition either directly through the organization or something that would relate to it. Often times you are calling a young person, somebody unemployed, or a student who only signed since they have no money to donate or they would've.
    Parking lot- You will be paying to park here. I find this one just plain tacky.

Last but not least

You will get sick working here. Everybody has to use a hand punch time clock. There are only 5 or 6 in the building last time I was there. Even if you keep you hands washed, cleaned and sanitized I can guarantee you will be getting sick much more frequently than you are used to.

HR-Send people home who are obviously sick!

Treat and compensate your staff (HR, QC, front of house, callers, trainers) the way you would want to be if you expect good help to last because they aren't hanging around out of loyalty.

Working at DSG...

Former Employee - Tele Fundraiser in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Tele Fundraiser in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Donor Services Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Flexible schedule
    -Cool Co-Workers
    -Multiple vending Machines

Cons

-They lie. They do have cold calling and it's for some of the worst NPO's to cold call for. (Planned Parenthood & ACLU)
    -Vermin (Roaches, spiders, bed bugs)
    -Turnover. BECAUSE they fire you.
    -Discriminatory treatment

More structure with your employees. You like to go on about how your facility is filled with some of the most OVER qualified in Los Angeles, well treat them like that. Also, thank you for changing your craigslist ad's. They were entirely misleading when I applied. It started with compensation at $13 and up. They now have changed it to be accurate. You start at $9 and their bonus structure is INSULTING.

I still get panic attacks thinking about this job

Former Employee - CO OP Fundraiser in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - CO OP Fundraiser in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Donor Services Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

flexible schedule, they let you leave early if you need to, parking is pretty good, and you raise money for good causes

Cons

I know you're desperate for the money, and you probably think this is the best that you can do right now, but its not, you can do better. There are three types of people that work here. 1. The struggling artist, actor, musician who's been so beat up by the industry and found AA, who's self-esteem and confidence is broken. 2. Somewhat overweight men and women in there 50's, 60's, and 70's whose other options would be a greeter at Walmart or a cashier at Ralphs. 3. People like me, with a good education and somewhat depressed about the job market, who needed the money real bad and was drawn in by the "helping others" aspect of the job. Believe in yourself and keep looking because,wow, the job that I have now compared to this one is night and day. I wasted 6 months here because I thought this was the best job i could get instead of having the confidence in myself that I'm worth more. I finished in the top division, called Co-op, and was paid between $14-$17 an hour after bonuses and so forth. Plan on making 100 or more calls a day from an auto-dialer that rings non-stop. Bathroom breaks, and putting down your headset are all monitored. Sales are determined in 2 hour blocks, then you have a break, so if you have an awesome 2 hour block, forget it, because your screen resets and you start over for the next two hour block. The job I have now is great. Its a sales job (base plus commision) that values TOTAL sales and I work half as hard and make twice as much. My advice: keep looking

Sales are determined in 2 hour blocks, then you have a break, so if you have an awesome 2 hour block, forget it, because your screen resets and you start over for the next two hour block. This is a joke and it keeps morale down. They should see total sustainers, one time gifts for the whole day, not just two hour blocks. Everyone has a crappy two hour block and management should get that. But who cares, I'm out. Thank god

Have never experienced such a poorly run place of business

I have been working at Donor Services Group full-time

Pros

Decent training and a few nice floor managers

Cons

They really do look for ways to get rid of people as soon as their training is over. Not asking 3 times for money, no matter what the person on the other line is saying, will get you sent home. Hardly make anything on your paycheck. I'm not sure how they are still around.

Be a human being and nice. Don't just threaten and send people home. Work with people help them out you'll make more money with not having to train new people every week

Fundraiser

Former Employee - Fundraiser in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Fundraiser in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Donor Services Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is a little better than some outfits.
    Extensive training.

Cons

1984-esque corporate culture. Big Brother is watching.
    Not schedule isn't as flexible as it could be.

It's a desperation job for people trying not to become homeless or people taking their first job after homelessness.

Current Employee - Fundraiser in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Donor Services Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's siightly better than no job at all but be sure it is short-lived so keep looking for a different job.

Cons

You are a dollar sign. If you fail to keep your stats up even for twenty minutes they will remove you from the floor for a long "break" or send you home. Nothing about you as a human being seems important to this company.

The turnover rate is very funny. They will train groups of people every single week and by the end of the month perhaps one is still holding on by their fingernails.

The supervisors are either obese, smokers or obsessive energy drinkers or All of the Above. Translation- they are all dodging their FEELINGS by using substances because they don't want to admit that their Reality SUCKS. lol. So the good news is that you will either be fired or will be edged out with weird tactics by supervisors who have lost touch with their own souls.

Aw.

Take it for what it is. A desperation job to help you out of a tight spot. KEEP LOOKING ELSWHERE FOR A REAL JOB where you could actually contribute and feel good about yourself and make a real living. Don't become a lifer here. Just LOOK at the very few long-term folks there. I mean, really LOOK at them. Do they look happy? Are They who you are striving to be?

Good luck. Keep livin'.