Doodle Bugs!

Updated July 18, 2014
Updated July 18, 2014
4.0

Anthony Insinna

Many opportunities to Grow!

Current Employee - Lead Teacher  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Doodle Bugs! full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love working for Doodle Bugs because they have so many opportunities for teachers! I love being apart of the Bug Squad, Buffalo Bills and Sabres child care program, as well as the mentoring program. You cannot find opportunities like these within the public school districts. I love being able to learn while at work through these different programs that are available to every employee!

Cons

It's hard to see your students move up after being with them all year!

Most stressful job I've ever had

I worked at Doodle Bugs!

Pros

Caring for children is rewarding no matter what, and the ones at my center were so fun to take care of. I also made some great friends there.

Cons

The most disgusting thing about this company is that you have to come in sick, even if you are violently ill. I've come in with pink eye, the stomach flu, etc. and so have other employees. Then the kids get sick and the parents are upset. I don't blame them! If you have to go to the bathroom you have to wait until someone relieves you which is sometimes never. This is strictly a business run by women who are on power trips and they could care less if you're sick or if a child is sick as long as they can make money and look good. One time an employee came in half in the bag and nothing was done about it because they needed staff that day for the ratios. Yep, these are the people caring for your children.

Take a good look at your policies. Maybe before promoting a lady that dresses nice, take a step back and try to think about if they truly have the children's best interest in mind. Instead of spending money on tablets for 2 year olds, spend money on extra staff so if an employee is violently throwing up they don't have to come into work and infect the children.

Wonderful place to work, full of opportunities!

Current Employee - Lead Teacher  in  Henrietta, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Henrietta, NY

I have been working at Doodle Bugs! full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I absolutely love working for Doodlebugs! This company has so much support and there are so many opportunities to advance, If you are driven to work for them! I've worked for the company for almost 3 years and I have a great relationship with both my director and director assistant who are constantly supporting me in my classroom and encourage me to keep growing with the company! I'm also extremely lucky to be a part of both our mentor program and bug squad! This company is great to its employees; and I honestly feel as though the negative comments from others are coming from people who just expect things to be handed to them! When you work hard you will be greatly rewarded by this company!!

Cons

All the challenges I face in my career with Doodlebugs are easily resolved when I speak with my director and express my concerns. We work as a team to make our center a great place to be for all.

Keep up the great work. I love the annual conference, and all of the wonderful programs, such as bug squad and the mentor program! I talk these programs up so much to every new employee! I love that I'm given the opportunity to build and shape our fabulous doodle community :)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

horrible horrible place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Greece, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greece, NY

I worked at Doodle Bugs! full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only good things were my fellow, hardworking employees and the innocent children. Management in the new Greece center were dispicable, phoney, lying backstabbers. They do not tell the truth to their employees OR parents.

Cons

The challenges were overwhelming. I did all my curriculum planning on my own time...could not get a bathroom break. and children were moved from room to room constanty to stay in ratio. Upsetting to kids and us teachers. Management was completely indifferent to the teacher concerns. The only time they smile is when a parent is there.

Pick a business you are truly passionate about. Not just a franchise that you think you;ll get rich on with no regard for peoples feelings. And it would help if you really liked kids. Even the kids can detect phoney!

Jun 4, 2014CEO

It is greatly disappointing to hear of your poor experience with Doodle Bugs! in Greece. That particular location is a franchise operation and is not managed directly by the company’s senior ... More

Great Job Poor Company

I worked at Doodle Bugs!

Pros

I loved my job. I love playing with the kiddos all day and really getting to know them.

Cons

Senior management does not care for its teachers. Directors do their best but corporate is in it all for the money. To them you are just a body in a room.

Consider valuing your employees more. Remember where your roots.

Jun 4, 2014CEO

We are gravely disappointed and regretful of the experience you had that would cause a poor review of your Doodle Bugs! employment. In an effort to identify opportunities to further better our brand ... More

Great kids and coworkers; awful management and company policies.

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant

I have been working at Doodle Bugs! full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working with my fellow teachers. They are, across the board, qualified and clearly care for the children they work with. Many of the parents are great and work with teachers to successfully care for their children. The kids themselves are, for the most part, fantastic to work with.

Compensation is okay, but those certified to teach in NY are earning much less than their potential.

Most curriculum supplies are provided by the company.

Cons

As a general rule, employees are not allowed to call in sick. While many may attempt to call in, they are told that they have to come in to work because the center does not have enough staff to allow more than possibly one person to be absent. Given that teachers regularly come in to work with illnesses such as bronchitis, pneumonia, stomach bugs, and pink eye, this policy at best communicates callous disrespect for their employee’s health and welfare.

But even more frighteningly, Doodlebugs! consistently and knowingly exposes the young children in their care to contagious germs. For example, teachers have been required to come into work- and continue working full shifts- while vomiting. In addition, employees with bronchitis have come into work before they’ve been able to get medication, meaning they are also likely contagious. I can’t imagine that many parents would be happy knowing that their children are knowingly exposed to such germs. Doodlebugs! has a policy that children who have been vomiting or have a fever in the last 24 hours shouldn’t be brought in. However, there are no such policies for employees. Quite the opposite; employees with fevers or stomach bugs are regularly required to report to work.

Part of the issue with teachers attempting to call in sick is the company's refusal to employ substitutes or "on-call" teachers. While multiple employees have offered to be on-call, management has told them that, "corporate wouldn't allow that". While I have no idea what the reason could possibly be, these policies are costing them employees and creating a very negative work environment.

In addition, employees seeking part-time work should be particularly warned. Part-time employees at the center where I work are regularly scheduled for 40 hours but are still considered part-time employees; as such, they do not receive any benefits.

Employees receive their schedule the Friday before for the following week. While schedules usually stay fairly consistent, it makes any kind of planning (or a second job) next to impossible. Know this ahead of time if you are applying. They will not tell you this in your interview.

Many teachers often work off the clock, mostly in curriculum preparation and the completion of child assessments/portfolios. They do sometimes need to take assessments home in order to get them completed, as they are not given enough work time out of the classroom to finish them. Most teachers are able to prepare curriculum during naptime if there are two teachers in that classroom, as they “break ratio” during nap. In other words, one teacher leaves the classroom even though technically they are out of ratio at that time. It is my understanding that this is allowed though not encouraged by OCFS (Office of Child & Family Services). However, if there are many children who do not nap or a teacher is alone in the room, curriculum cannot get done and many teachers end up making up for this on their own time. While the management does not directly order this working off the clock, it is absolutely an unofficial expectation.

Also know that employees are not allowed to go to the bathroom for most of the day because of the ratios that need to be maintained. When you call the front desk to ask for a bathroom break, they may or may not be able/willing to send someone to stay in your room for you while you go to the bathroom. While normally it’s not an extended amount of time, it could easily 30-60 minutes if someone can come down at all.

In the last six months, approximately 15 teachers have quit from the center that I work at. Typically, the center employs roughly 30-35 teachers (full- and part-time). This, at around 50%, is a turnover rate that begs explanation. Only four of those 14 that I know of quit purposely to pursue a teaching career in the public school system.

While I know some may not believe the following hearsay, as a current teacher I know how negative many of the remaining teachers are. Over the last month or two, dissatisfaction has seriously increased, especially as we become more and more short staffed. Teacher assistants who must fill in for lead teachers that have quit are not paid any more than they used to be, even though some have been given the job and responsibilities of a lead teacher for 4+ months. This lack of teachers has exacerbated the above issues with calling in sick, making teachers very resentful and wonder why they continue working for the company. From the talk around my center, very, very few employees remain in their jobs because of loyalty or appreciation for the company or management.

If management continues to treat their employees with same callous, uncaring attitude, you will continue hemorrhaging talented employees and continue fostering a very negative work environment. Policies that communicate more respect for your employees, their health, and the health of the children we care for will instead increase the number of employees who elect to stay with Doodlebugs! long term.

Jun 4, 2014CEO

It is greatly disappointing to hear of your poor experience with Doodle Bugs!. In an effort to identify opportunities to further better our brand culture and the engagement of our faculty, I invite ... More

The best of everything

I have been working at Doodle Bugs! full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic employee development and caring/professional management. Teachers are very well-supplied and free to add their personal touches to curriculum. A great team-oriented working environment. Beautiful facilities. Emphasis on constant improvement at all levels of the organization. A top-notch early childhood program based on expertise in the field. Ample opportunity for promotion and challenge.

Cons

Nothing! - in the right frame of mind. DoodleBugs! strictly maintains ratios in the interest of childrens' safety and fairness to teachers, so bathroom breaks aren't always immediate and sometimes teachers don't leave exactly on time, but management does its best and significant delays are very rare. All staff and management are held to high standards because of the caliber of the program, but this isn't a problem for high-performing staff with a passion for early childhood education.

Keep doing what you're doing!

A great job with tremendous support and opportunity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Doodle Bugs! full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am so happy to be working at Doodle Bugs! because not only am I doing what I love, but the people that I work with are amazing, upper management is so good to us in terms of support, counsel, and assisting us to better our careers within the company, and so much more. The values and standards that make Doodle Bugs! what is is are evident in the employees and management so you know you are working for a hardworking, trusting, and dedicated company.

Cons

There are none at this time.

Keep supporting everyone like you do, and continuing with your incredible vision for the best child care in the nation.

Doodle Bugs! is a great company!

I have been working at Doodle Bugs! full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Doodle Bugs! is a great place to work. Our faculty are energetic, loving and well-qualified team members. The Bravo! curriculum provides hands on learning through hands on play. We are so lucky to have such highly qualified teachers that work with all of our children.

Cons

I have no cons at this time.

I have no advise at this time.

A company where the mission and values apply to children, parents and teachers!

Current Employee - Director  in  Lancaster, NY
    Current Employee - Director in Lancaster, NY

I have been working at Doodle Bugs! full-time for less than a year

Pros

High quality children's center with professional and well educated teachers. There are endless opportunities to network and the resources available are a bonus! The pay and benefits are great (paid holidays and paid time off for full time teachers). The curriculum was very well written and designed by a team of specialists so that the teacher's focus can be more on the teaching aspect rather than the planning/prepping aspect. The curriculum also leaves room to differentiate and for inquiry based learning!!

Cons

There is a common misconception that Doodle Bugs! is a traditional "day care center." Doodle Bugs! is an early learning center and requires well educated professionals to deliver the high quality care we promise to our families.

Our management team is very much in tune and connected to day to day operations at our centers. The training opportunities are great too!

Worked for Doodle Bugs!? Contribute to the Community!