Dorman Products
www.dormanproducts.com Colmar, PA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Dorman Products Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014
Dorman Products – US – “Dorman Products”

Steven L. Berman

Pretty Decent Company by Today's Standards

Engineering Lab Technician (Current Employee)
    Colmar, PA

ProsAs a former Automotive Technician, it's nice to be able to use those skills and others on something way less stressful and almost as satisfying. The people that I work with seem like genuinely nice people...most of them anyway. And with so many different projects going on, there's rarely a dull day.

ConsThe 'Culture of Contribution', where everyone is an "important contributor, rather than employee, and no one is more important than the next person" is blatantly disingenuous, we haven't received any merit raises as long as I've been here, due to being" financially unable" but we have quarterly meetings to talk about how much money the company makes and they even gave each employee a full color brochure, complete with a word search on the back, about how 'awesome it is to work for dorman'. How much did that cost? Lastly, getting equipment needed to complete a task can be painstakingly difficult, more times than not.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend money on retaining talent and equipment.

Continually striving to be better

Picker (Current Employee)
    Portland, TN

ProsHas a great schedule options

ConsThe company as a whole is really great. My biggest issue has been the attitudes of other contributors, the lack of team work and managements lack of concern for fixing the problems.

Great innovative company with a awesome company culture

Product Manager (Former Employee)

ProsCares about employee development
    Creativity is rewarded
    Flexibility

ConsLocation of HQ is in a high real estate area
    Career roadmaps not clear

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to your employees to make Dorman the best place to work in the area

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Colmar, PA

ProsGreat atmosphere, very laid back. The people are for the most part wonderful and easy to work with. Employees are valued and treated well.

ConsWork-life balance can be tough. Some people have much heavier workloads than others which can be frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprovement is still needed in communication from management to the rest of the company. Also many teams seems to have the same challenge to their productivity and that is engineering bottlenecks/throughput. This needs to be addressed as a company if it is ever going to change.

Toxic Work Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting products, successful & stable company, good business model

ConsCulture of self-promotion and back-stabbing. No feeling of teamwork whatsoever. Many unqualified people in management and engineering functions. Senior Management more interested in politics than improving the company. Compensation below average especially considering company's financial strength.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house and hire experienced management and engineering staff. Use the 5 years of record profits to pay decent salaries to attract talent. Emphasize cooperation and teamwork. CEO needs to take back control of the company from Sr. Management team and show strong leadership.

Good job with safety

Packer (Former Employee)
    Colmar, PA

ProsI liked the cafeteria, the clean enviroment and they keep warm inside when is cold

ConsIf you are temporary, the older workers want you to do everything for them and they take the easy job, the forklift driver want me to move heavy skid with a pallet jack and he was supposed to move with the forklift, just for him to go to talk with his friends, don't miss one day to work because they fire you, just for one day

A solid, growing company with good contributor benefits.

Colmar, PA

ProsContributor development is nothing like what I've experienced. They have a leadership program, an employer paid-for MBA program (taught on-site after work), ongoing OD classes, as well as a new undergrad program. There are also other benefits like a Wellness Program and exercise class held at Dorman after work as well as gym reimbursement. And other benefits. The company seems to genuinely care about how their contributors feel about them.

ConsThe company has experienced some growing pains. There are some processes in place that need to be made more efficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is great that contributors have a voice. Upper management needs to continue to hear what they are saying and turn it into action.

Not the Best IT Management

(Current Employee)

ProsAt the lower levels of the IT department, there are some excellent technical staff at this company. Also, one can work remotely when needed. Pay is in line with the industry overall.

ConsAnother contributor to this site stated that some of the IT departments management were in over their head – and I find that to be quite true as well. The management in the IT department has neither the required experience, skills, or temperament for their positions. Further, it seems that anyone who dares to disagree with them finds themselves out the door. No doubt that this is a major contributor to the high turnover and lingering problems in this IT organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers who actually know how to “Manage” (i.e. plan, think ahead, communicate, and leverage the skills that exist in their department), not former low-level IT workers who have simply been given the title “Manager”. Senior management should also attempt to change the mode of operation in the IT department from “Cover Your Ass and Keep Your Job” to “Let’s Attack Things as a Team”.

Voted one of the best places to work in the Philadelphia area and I see why.

Assistant Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Colmar, PA

ProsLaid back and casual work environment.

This depends on your group, but management talks the talk and walks the walk. My managers tell me they want to help me succeed and do what they can to make sure it happens.

Recently they started offering a company sponsored MBA program with classes held on site.

ConsAdvancement can be difficult depending on your work group.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more clearly defined paths for advancement so all employees, in all facets of the business, know what they have to do move forward in their careers. Once this is done, make sure management shares this with everyone in the company.

Clueless in Colmar

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)
    Colmar, PA

ProsThey keep up to date with technology .
    The hours are reasonable.
    It is close to the public transportation

ConsThere is no real team environment, a lot of time is spent gossiping.
    The employee's rights aren't protected by HR policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to expert advice instead of people that are just interested in job security.

Worked for Dorman Products? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dorman Products reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dorman Products CEO Steven L. Berman. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Dorman Products employees.