Dotomi Reviews

3.7
John A. Giuliani

1. Very good Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dotomi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very friendly environment, learnt a LOT while working here, my manager was excellent (I can't speak for all managers though), hard work will definitely be noticed.

Cons

Not sure about the current situation but the benefits could have been better.

Advice to Management

Be more available

2. Great place to work... most of the time

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dotomi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a great place for someone with not too much experience, because of huge learning opportunities. You can learn a lot in technology, working relationship, time management and other topics that can help you a lot in your future. Amazing office, good benefits and fantastic time off policy.

Cons

It is high pressure place where you expected to work quite a lot and probably will be on understuffed team. Also, you can get into trouble if you are not careful who you are talking to.

Advice to Management

Make sure that your top managers not only managers but can provide some added value to their reports. Being a good soldier should not be enough to get a promotion.

3. Great place for early career

I have been working at Dotomi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible people that lend themselves to a solid and enjoyable company culture are definitely the best part of Dotomi. Countless opportunities to learn and grow if you want to seek out the challenge.

Cons

There's a lot of whining about people deserving more than they get, whether or not that's true is anybody's guess. The company is kind of saturated as far as management goes and they try to work you very hard. John G can be hit or miss

Advice to Management

Keep letting people work on all kinds of things instead of tracking productivity to the minute.

Great experience, lots of opportunity, best production artist environment I've seen

Current Employee - Production Artist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Production Artist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dotomi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People - great great team. Great people across the company
    Environment, Work space
    Lots of expansion and growth
    Social interaction encouraged
    Good client list - mix of high profile clients, and some smaller clients
    fun and exciting
    home-grown tools
    listen to ideas
    you can make your own path and growth
    Best environment for a production artist I have ever been in. Not like your standard ad agency

Cons

Trying to keep too much of their start up mentality now that the company is growing.
    A lot of meetings - OT is on the low end, but heavy meeting days force team to make up their time.
    The management of each team is focused on their team. Not enough people in place looking at the big picture of where the company is going/what the company needs.

Advice to Management

Keep the start up environment, but start acting like the major player company you are.
    Focus on making tools that work for us, instead of tools that we have to adapt to
    Don't ever let this turn into an ad agency

6. great opportunities

I have been working at Dotomi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are amazing - I have never been surrounded by so many motivated, brilliant people before coming to Dotomi.
    Culture - very informal, but hard working atmosphere where we are always pushing for more, better, faster
    Office - the Chicago office is beautiful and I love wearing jeans every day
    Opportunity - the growth is incredible, and that leaves tons of career growth opportunity

Cons

Communication - more communication is better, especially considering our rapid growth leads to constant change

Good not great, but not as awful as some of the reviews I have seen

I have been working at Dotomi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great, innovative and for the most part genuinely excited about what they do.

Cons

Health Benefits are weak and getting worse since being bought
    work to life balance is a bit skewed
    Reliance on KPI is a bit misplaced
    Officially a no work from home policy but in practice you are expected to be available 24/7 no matter where you are

Advice to Management

Will fall on deaf ears, mainly because there is so much in flux at the moment

8. Client Integration Engineer - hard work, awesome team

Current Employee - Client Integration Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Integration Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dotomi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge technology
    Fun team
    ability to take on interesting side projects
    casual dress
    Some what flexible hours
    "Unlimited" vaction
    Great downtown office

Cons

Hours can get very long
    fourth quarter can get very stressful
    some of the account management, client development, and business development team members do not have a firm grasp on what can and cannot be done (or should vs. should not be promised to certain tiered clients)

Advice to Management

Better training for AM and CD teams, more continual training for said teams to make sure they understand what we can/should do for all clients instead of allowing them to promise everything to anyone.

9. Good company, great culture, wonderful people

Former Employee - Creative Technologist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Creative Technologist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dotomi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is one of the best companies I've ever worked for, positive and supportive atmosphere, brilliant co-workers, really great work-life balance, wonderful folks top to bottom. For those few people who actually reviewed Dotomi negatively, I honestly have no clue which department they could possibly be coming from, the janitor's closet perhaps?

Cons

I can not find anything to complain about this wonderful organization.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

10. Company as a whole

I worked at Dotomi full-time

Pros

Wonderful company to work for
    Great people
    Excellent benefits
    Very laid back environment
    Ever-changing
    Absolutely LOVED the CEO and his values

Cons

Dotomi has a vision and it looks to be exponential but there needs to be more structure in the way many things are done and there definitely needs to be more clear communications about when things go into effect. You know what is happening but you don't always know when.

Advice to Management

Be more diligent in enforcing things which are necessary. If it isn't getting done, you are the manager, step up and get your staff moving in the right direction.

Happy here

I have been working at Dotomi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting to see so many negative reviews from poor work/life balance, office politics, etc. I'm curious to know if perhaps these are all from the same team, and what team that is. I'm on the engineering side and can't say that I've seen much of this.

- Everyone here (on the engineering side at least) is VERY smart and very capable.
    - Very strong "get it done" culture. Everyone is willing and excited to try to solve even the seemingly impossible task.
    - We don't spend time assessing blame, we spend time figuring out how to make sure bad stuff doesn't happen again.
    - I've never felt un-recognized for my work or contributions, and am rewarded and recognized when I go above and beyond.
    - There are TONS of opportunities to make a personal impact here, and just about every tool we have here and use on a daily basis was dreamed up by a regular old employee who just had an idea on how to do something better.
    - I've found management all the way up to the CTO on the engineering side to be human and easy to talk to - and the CEO is also very approachable (though he's not around much since the acquisition).
    - Salary and benefits are decent if you negotiate hard enough during the offer phase.
    - If you're solid and meet all your expectations on your performance reviews then merit increases and bonuses are IMO above average.

Cons

- Q4 can be busy. Not 24 hour days and 7 day weeks crazy... but (at least in engineering) during Q4 you can expect to spend 1-2 nights a week here to 7:00 if there are system issues that need to be resolved or last minute features that need to be delivered before the code freeze. But then again, we're a dot-com, representing nothing but internet retailers, and Q4 is the holiday season. I think it's ridiculous to NOT expect this. But if you're a person who expects to take a lot of time off over the holidays... it might be difficult for you.
    - If you are not a self-starter or don't like figuring stuff out on your own, you will probably drown here. We DO finally have official formal training BUT there is still a heavy expectation on you to exhaust all your own resources first before asking for help.
    - They make a big stink about maintaining 8:30-5:30 hours. Though to be fair, I've never been denied permission to leave early or arrive late when I needed to.
    - They don't like telecommuting either. If you expect or hope to work from home with any regularity, this probably isn't the place for you.
    - Work spaces are cramped. For everybody - from the regular employee all the way up through senior management. I had a bigger office 5 years ago as a junior engineer than our VP's do now.

RSS Feed </> Embed