DoubleDutch Reviews

What's not to love?

Current Employee - Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands down one of the most innovative solutions to the event space. Great company, great people, huge growth potential.

Cons

My only con other than the office being in the mission is no 401k match. Office most likely won't be in the mission too much longer which will make the only con - No 401K match.

Advice to Management

Project development and and engineering is among the best I've seen. Some of the smartest individuals in their fields. Keep up the great hiring. 401K match!

Demanding but rewarding

Current Employee - SDR in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - SDR in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Vision, culture and people are the best part about this company. One of the best paid SDRs in the Bay Area if you're hitting your quotas.

Cons

Demanding role but reward can be high. The office location would be flawless if not were for the fixer-upper building the company operates out of.

Advice to Management

Leverage solidarity amongst entire sales team (Enterprise works upstairs).

Sales Development Representative

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DoubleDutch (Less than a year)

Pros

People, Vision, Culture are unmatched. Management is there to help and they are transparent about what is going on at a high level.

Cons

Not many but I would say that moving up feels like its more political than actually rewarded on performance or tenure.

Advice to Management

Promote people based off of how long they have been at the company, there should be checks and balances so that one person or manager cannot block someone from moving up

Not Recommended

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the individual contributor level, you will make friends. We hang out after hours often.

Dog friendly office, but only limited to the three veteran dogs who have been here.

The benefits have been upgraded and are now standard.

Parking is only $100/month, but there's a waitlist.

Cons

I've been here for a little over a year and have a pretty clear picture into the company, particularly in the sales org. Knowing what I know, even as a top performer, I can't honestly recommend DoubleDutch to my own friends.

The company is disorganized, especially in the sales department. The sales dept is notoriously known to be micro managed from the very top down and be given insanely high quotas, which the majority of the sales reps do not meet. The pay may seem good, but knowing that most reps don't meet quota, expect a reduction in pay.

Also, politics run rampant here. If you are outspoken and buddy up with the right people here, you can be promoted even without hitting your numbers. Also, gossip is everywhere here.

I've heard management openly speak down on employees out in public a number of times. Even though it was not directed at me, it's very demoralizing to experience it and see that it gets swept under the rug. Management is always favored over individual contributors, even if the managers have numbers of complaints against them. It's pretty toxic how management across many orgs can treat employees and it's very unfortunate.

Be aware that face time is very important at DoubleDutch.

Advice to Management

Spend time listening to what your employees are saying rather than putting your effort trying to figure out who wrote the review.

So much potential slipping away

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time

Pros

There are some great people that work here.

Sales and CS are a lively group and carry an infectious energy.

The mission is a fun neighborhood and more interesting to work in compared with the popular stale tech neighborhoods.

Fast growth, big market, major opportunity.

Lawrence is very transparent and wants to build a great company.

Cons

So much potential, but it feels like it is slipping away.

Politics are worse here than I have experienced in other organizations. If you keep your head down and work hard you will not get recognized. But, if you cheer and promote yourself you will. Merit is not rewarded but political behavior is. If you are in the cool crowd your opinion matters. If you are not, then you are ostracized and sidelined. People will be nice to your face and stab you in the back. Even some senior leaders have a reputation for being passive aggressive.

If you are single, live in the city, and like to party, you will have many friends. If you have responsibilities and cannot stay late, you will be unlikely to fit in. As of late, a few great people have been fired in a shocking and unexpected manner. Others are beginning to wonder for their own safety.

You will likely take a pay cut to work here.

Anonymous feedback is incredibly hard to provide. Some including the CTO are famous for their effort and ability to decipher the source of anonymous feedback. We are beginning to suffer from the emperor has no clothes allegory.

Advice to Management

- Management training for the leadership team
    - Hold everyone accountable, not just the unpopular
    - Reward merit

DoubleDutch Response

Jun 4, 2015CEO

Hi, Lawrence here.

Yeah, it does feel like we are entering into a new stage. Some good, some challenging. It makes sense if you think about how far we've come.

Two quick comments:

On
    ... More

Good experience

Former Employee - SDR
    Former Employee - SDR

I worked at DoubleDutch full-time

Pros

Solid experience at cold-calling, and depending on which team you're in, great chance to learn. If you're new to tech sales, this is a great company to start and to learn at. If you're looking to transition into an AE at some point in your career, consider this a fast track crash course.

Cons

It is a decent enough sales environment, but it has some bizarre nuances. For example, all inbound leads are given to a select couple of reps. Yet you're held to the same quotas as them. They explained this off as a "reward" for hard work, but when you're competing against them for, say, a contest to travel to a convention to represent the company, having the odds stacked against for no reason isn't exactly motivating. Also, it takes reps forever to get promoted to AE. I mentioned SDR is a fast track for AE, but I mean that in the sense that you should parlay this experience into getting in at another company as an AE 10 or 12 months later (it's unlikely that that's going to happen here). Also, if you're going to leave, don't bother setting demos after your departure date. This is free handouts to DoubleDutch, who won't be paying you out for those since you're leaving. Lastly, know that most of the SDRs there don't make quota. Unless you're prospecting at home when you get off work, in all likelihood, you're not going to hit their ridiculously high quota (even when, strangely, they insist that it's reasonable because..."The inbound reps do it all the time!"...*facepalm*). I would say the SDRs are making somewhere to the tune of $10k less per year on average as a result not hitting quota. After a while, the OTE vs what is realistic felt like a bait and switch on their part.

Advice to Management

Listen to your sales team. It felt like no one really listened to the SDRs and their needs. After a while it turned into a "just show up, pound the phones, and leave" job, which isn't very motivational.

Growing company in fun market!

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, awesome product, fun market to be involved with!

Cons

Elevators go up and down slowwwwwly. Better to take the stairs and get some exercise!

Advice to Management

Perhaps fewer internal emails and more face to face meetings. Otherwise, love the leadership!

SDR

Current Employee - Sales Development in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DoubleDutch

Pros

Great Culture from the firm. Everyone seems to be on the same team working towards the same goal for the most part.

Cons

The ramp pay is really messed up. It's impossible to make OTE during the ramp period which is exactly the opposite of what I'd expect.

So Far, So Great!!!

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are absolutely outstanding individuals. The is a real commitment to culture, professional development, and success. I appreciate this commitment to quality work and a dedication to great products.

Cons

It is still very much a start-up. It is part of it's appeal. (I should have put that in the pro column as well). I can feel the expansion of the business. It manifests itself if some cumbersome ways, but it's all part of growth!

Advice to Management

Stay committed to quality people and superb products.

A "Rocket Ship" of a Startup!

I have been working at DoubleDutch

Pros

I have worked for several very well known and successful startups, and this is by far the best group of people I have ever had the pleasure of being around on a daily basis. The energy here is extremely potent...as we say at the office, "we are all riding a rocket ship together." I could not be more excited to be a part of this team and this company. The leadership is incredibly communicative and understands that great people are what build a great product. Many companies lose sight of that, making their employees feel like they are less important than the product...not at DoubleDutch. It honestly feels like a family here, accepting an offer to join was the best career choice I have made thus far. And a final note -- Lawrence is far and away the best Founder and CEO I have ever spoken with, and certainly the best I have ever worked for.

Cons

Typical cons of a startup -- growing out of our office space, cross department communication can suffer from time to time, trouble hiring quickly (which is good, because you want to be picky), pay is a little bit under the average salary you might receive from a large company (but totally worth the small pay cut to be part of such an amazing team), and a bit of a strange vacation policy for a startup.

Advice to Management

I have full trust in the management and their vision for the company. My advice would be to not feel rushed to hire quickly, be sure we are always holding out for the right fit. Also, I would reconsider the vacation policy, I worry it may deter potentially great engineering talent from coming on board. Scaling a company is hard, especially when you are just starting to get bigger. I think management is doing a good job of consistently evaluating communication processes and collaboration across different teams. It is a great time to be a DoubleDutch employee!

RSS Feed </> Embed