DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch CEO Lawrence Coburn
Lawrence Coburn

Rocky Road, Bright Future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DoubleDutch

Pros

I've been at DoubleDutch for just over 2 years now, and while I've experienced a few rocky moments, I see a really bright future for myself here.

I was hired at DoubleDutch for a very specific role, and within just a few months was able to expand my responsibilities into much more than that. Since joining, my manager has helped me transform my role into what I want it to be; encouraging and celebrating my desire to take on new and exciting tasks that I've never done before; and (I feel) is helping me get to where I want to go in my career.

The people I get to work with make coming to work every day a joy. If that's not enough, the sheer volume of amazing food and shopping in the neighborhood makes lunchtime a fun adventure every day.

We recently implemented a 360 degree feedback tool that i think will really help everyone in the organization grow and get better.

To sum it up, I feel like I opportunity to do the best work of my life at DoubleDutch.

Cons

This is my first startup experience, so i don't have much to compare it to, but naturally the company has gone through some growing pains.

The initial management team was comprised of very young and inexperienced managers. As the company has grown I've seen these same people come a long way, but of course there are still opportunities to improve. I mentioned 360 feedback earlier, which I think will have a huge impact on everyone's growth in the company.

I don't feel like I have a great work-life balance. Management seems more fixated on face time instead of the quality of work produced. I often feel like I'm expected to come in early, stay late, work through the night and on weekends. I understand that sometimes we have to buckle up and make sacrifices, but I don't think that's a fair expectation to have on such a frequent basis.

If I wanted to get extremely gripey, I'd say that our benefits could use more of a makeover to be truly competitive with similar employers. I don't get the sense that our PTO, work from home, or sick day policies are enforced the same across various teams in the organization. But, I don't think it's for lack of trying.

Create more consistency in communication (and enforcement) across the entire organization when it comes to PTO, sick time, and working from home.

Startup needs a huge overhaul

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DoubleDutch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

New benefits are competitive and industry standard. Random lunches are encouraged, help you meet and understand what your coworkers do for the company. Some of the best, smartest, skilled people I've ever worked with and remain friends. Lucian is the best. If you have a chance to work with him take it at all costs you won't regret it. I begged him to adopt me but it wasn't in the cards. I have hope for the future that our paths will cross. I love DoubleDutch, i loved my job, I loved the work I did, and I loved the people I worked with. I still refer people to work there and actively look for jobs for peers.

Cons

Management in Accounting/Finance lacks self-proclaimed communication and management skills. Your safety is always at risk in or around the building.

Make Lucian the executive team standard. Take harassment seriously and professionally train the executive team to behave appropriately. Let HR do their job you hired the best, utilize human resources, and give them the power to do what is right. The excuse "it's a start-up" is a weak excuse at best.

DoubleDutch Response

Dec 1, 2014Senior Recruiter / Team Lead

Thanks for all of the kind words (and the direct feedback). We enjoyed working with you as well, and greatly appreciate the referrals that you have sent our way. Best of luck on the next stop.

I'm so thankful to call DoubleDutch home.

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

DoubleDutch is an amazing place to work. My colleagues' passion and enthusiasm for what they do is contagious and motivating, and we all sincerely believe in the product we're pushing. The opportunity for growth and development is unprecedented — I feel fortunate to be working at a start-up that isn't slowing down anytime soon. No matter how big we get, we pride ourselves on always keeping our vision and core values at the forefront.

Cons

Sometimes The Mission can get weird, but it's San Francisco — it happens. Growing pains inevitably come up here and there, but our Senior Management has the foresight to address issues proactively.

We're growing fast which is exciting, but let's still keep our hiring standards high, especially when it comes to culture fits and fulfilling needs on a team level.

Ride or die together

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture and the product.

Cons

We are experiencing some growing pains

Keep leading the charge!

Great people, definite growing pains

Current Employee - Business Deveolpment in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Deveolpment in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A fun, vibrant environment. A lot of very talented, great people. Be prepared to up your game and be challenged daily. Overall a great place to work.

Cons

In the beginning it was about trying to find the niche. It took some time before we knew what was the ideal buyer, so there was a lot of experimentation. It's a very young startup.

Focus on the right objectives and keep the people that help you build the company.

Perfect storm - vision, people, market, execution, culture, will to win

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I don't know where to start...
    - Leadership is outstanding
    - Product is leading the market by a long shot and in a lot of ways moving the market in a totally different direction
    - Transparency and visibility into company strategy is unlike anywhere else I've worked
    - So many crazy smart people. Just crazy smart.
    - Relationship between the departments is positive and everyone seems in it for the right reasons
    - Catered breakfasts and lunches; fully stocked kitchen; house account for unlimited coffee half a block away
    - Global company, you have the ability to work in Amsterdam or Hong Kong if there's a need

Cons

- The elevators have a material impact on productivity in the office. But... it encourages you to take the stairs more. I guess that's not such a bad thing!
    - Benefits are lackluster

- Office space itself is too cramped; there need to be more common areas
    - Invest early in training, mentoring, and career development

Best job I've ever had.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Unparalleled transparency and accessibility across all departments
    - True opportunity for advancement
    - No frills perks - the ones we get are pretty great
    - Strong emphasis on maintaining the company culture, even as we experience explosive growth
    - The product really is the best in the market
    - I love love love my colleagues

Cons

- Employee benefits packages could improve
    - To echo previous interviewers: the elevators work a percentage of the time but its a quirky problem, not a true hindrance

KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING! BEST MANAGEMENT TEAM I'VE EVER WORKED UNDER.

Not leaving anytime soon

Current Employee - Sales Development in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time

Pros

- Our senior management leads with total class and are unmatched transparency
    - Phenomenal team co-workers
    - I am in control of my own success
    - We are small enough that individual contributors can still see their accomplishments impact the success of the company

Cons

Benefits and HR processes are a work in progress. Few employees are realizing full value of benefits due to complexity and transitions between providers.

Invest more notably into individual employee skills training & development

I love this company! Be creative, work with a great team, and learn.

Current Employee - Android Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Android Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people. I love working with everyone at the company - the people are genuinely nice while also being driven to do their best work. The team is very open to suggestions - engineers can contribute a lot to the design process, if they want.

Cons

Sketchy elevators. Honestly, I find this amusing and semi-adventurous; it's never a safety concern, they just take you to the wrong floor sometimes.

Don't let the impending need for profitability restrict our vision.

Great company, good people - a little disorganized

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DoubleDutch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-awesome people that are willing to help eachother
    -Good culture that makes you smile
    -flexibile scheduling and fun atmosphere

Cons

-Lack of organization and growth within the org

More structure