Dougherty & Associates

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014
2.5

Dr. Sherilyne E. Dougherty

Good place to start a career

I worked at Dougherty & Associates

Pros

Great opportunities to learn new skills.

Cons

There is a very cliquish culture.

40 hours a week, just isn't enough...

I have been working at Dougherty & Associates full-time

Pros

DAi boasts some of the smartest and most creative people that I have ever worked with. The organization offers its employees, a competitive salary, and benefits package; beautiful office decor; and training is encouraged.

Cons

There is little to no work life balance for employees. Employees are expected to work far beyond a 40 hour work week, and in many cases this goes without any recognition. Company has also proven to be unstable as they just suffered massive lay offs, that left majority of the company without employment.

Look to advance current employees instead of always hiring from the outside. Additionally, encourage and promote a healthy work/life balance.

Interesting experience

I worked at Dougherty & Associates full-time

Pros

Plentiful opportunities to grow. Smart colleagues.

Cons

Culture of intimidation and lack of support for employees.

Be more supportive of all employees.

If you want a decent salary and can tolerate the cons...proceed.

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Dougherty & Associates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay. Very interesting projects. Nice peers. There is a twenty word minimum, but I really don't have much more to say about pros.

Cons

Micro management, more meetings than actual work time, a lot of overtime that could have been prevented by getting it right the at least the second time. It was challenging and interesting, paid well, but the finger pointing, lack of professionalism, and aggressive and hostile managers overwhelm any good that came from this experience.

Don't underbid your projects, and if you do, secure managers who know how to run them. Micromanaging is not the solution. You are intelligent ladies who know what you are doing; make sure your directors and mid managers are competent!

They COULD HAVE BEEN Great

I have been working at Dougherty & Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

intelligent colleagues; great dispositions and camaraderie; easy commute

Cons

Leadership has checked out. Came on board to find a thriving company but after I joined, they hired a practice lead to run our group (now a VP) who lacks the talent or foresight to keep the company running. For some unknown reason, leadership gave her the reigns to drive the company right into the ground- which is exactly where it's gone since then. They have a business development unit that produces no business and when contracts dried up we were all expected to run around doing BD's work on top of our own work. Nobody quite understood why this responsibility fell on us despite having a dedicated BD department. Still we tried but it has been one pointless exercise after another because we've been derided constantly. Nothing is ever considered "right" and every company failure is our fault- no accountability. Not a good place to be the last couple years which is why my coworkers and I are interviewing with other companies before we end up in the next layoff. i'll be happy to find a better situation where employees are valued and business development actually exists.. We got rid of most all our staff so now the work falls to us as well as doing BD's job. This is a very negative situation and I'd recommend you keep looking if you're considering DAI. They could have been great, but have failed to keep true to their initial dream.

Go back to what you know or close the shop. Stop giving power to incompetent people. Be accountable.

Loyalty is of no value to this firm.

Former Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Dougherty & Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation, excellent benefits and a quiet office.

Cons

The previous entries of a "bully" or "mean girls" culture could not be closer to the truth. This is an organization that regards like minds only. If you don't think like/agree with upper management, you are a pariah. My experience was not unlike being hustled. My first few months, I felt like a super star. I was given great opportunities and my voice was heard.

It was just after my first six months that I started to hear things like "no critical thinking" and "be more strategic". That was also when the nit-picking started and every deliverable was returned with scathing comments. Then, I noticed that I was being excluded from meetings and conversations about my client. At first glance this may seem like a performance problem, but I continued to get great reviews, a promotion and bonuses. I also continued to grow my work. I was respected at the client, but not back at the office.

During my time, I saw over 30 people come and go and saw two colleagues need to take extended leave for burn out/anxiety issues. To me, this is an indication of an unhealthy work environment. The culture is similar to a sorority and the quality of your work and your loyalty to the firm doesn't really matter. What matters more is whether or not you are with the "in" crowd. If you aren't, you have no future here. I tried my hardest to be a part of the community, but in the end, I just wasn't successful.

Talent, loyalty and hard-work should be worth more to you.

Challenging work, Awesome Rewards!!

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Dougherty & Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

DAI is like any organization, its not sunshine everyday. However, I think the sun is shining more often than not. We work hard but have fun while doing it. You are treated like an adult with the expectation of contributing 100% everyday. The beliefs and vision from leadership are simply a happy and healthy employee is a more productive employee. We have the luxury to exercise during work hours and return refreshed and ready to contribute. No one is watching the front door to see when you return. The expectation is to be honest and like Nike " Just do it"! I have had some challenging times, but have weathered the storm and come out a stronger and better contributor. I have completed a masters degree while working here and with the organizations generous tuition reimbursement: I have zero debt!! The freedom and free spirit of the culture makes DAI a great place to work and play!

Cons

We have three main practice areas and we don't always have the opportunity to interact with one another. We also have two separate floors and it would be nice if we were able to be one floor and have more interaction with our peers and colleagues.

A Company That Recognizes Its Most Important Asset: The People!

Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Dougherty & Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I’ve worked at DAI for about three years now, and have enjoyed being part of an organization that makes such a tremendous effort to ensure that employees are given every opportunity to thrive and excel. A corporate culture built on shared values--and an “I Am DAI” framework that embraces and supports employees from the moment they are hired (even before!)--ensures that employees have what they need to become engaged and thriving members of the team.

The opportunities to engage with other employees are plentiful: open doors, knowledge sharing tools and events, communications forums… even an in-house TV station for employee broadcasts. A “get healthy” club meets to discuss exercise and nutrition and to support each other toward personal fitness goals. And the company encourages both individual and company-sponsored community service. There’s a lot going on! Fun social events add to the team-building, from Bocce Ball tournaments to Nationals baseball game outings.

This company also strongly supports ongoing professional development through training opportunities, individual development plans, association memberships and mentoring and coaching. Yes, you'll be challenged to deliver great work here, but you’ll feel comfortable knowing that there’s a strong support structure behind you that will help you do it and position you for continued success.

Cons

The Alexandria location is beautiful... office overlooking the Potomac and downtown DC. But it can be tough to get to for those who don't live close by.

Stay the course with regard to developing your team, corporate capabilities and culture. Great things are happening!

Proof is in the pudding

Current Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Dougherty & Associates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was concerned when i joined the company due to the scathing reviews online, but since i joined two years ago, i've been greeted by nothing but honesty. Perhaps there was a shift in direction? or maybe they just had to clean house before that would account for the bad reviews. Whatever the reason, I've been really happy here and glad I joined them. I think people should be careful posting negative reviews b/c it really influences potential candidates. DAI pays very well and my colleagues are outstanding. I can't imagine staying at my previous company.

Cons

If you don't live nearby to Alexandria - commute can be a hassle.

Not sure I can offer any advice to management. i've been very satisfied with my time at DAI.

The future's so bright...

I have been working at Dougherty & Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing colleagues who are creative, know their stuff and are happy to help each other
    Strong reputation for doing good work
    Great location in Old Town Alexandria
    Fun social events

Cons

Wearing many hats - but this is typical in a small business with aggressive goals

Keep up the encouragement and the transparency. We have the best team we have had since I have been here.