Douglas County School District (CO)
www.dcsdk12.org Castle Rock, CO 5000+ Employees

Douglas County School District (CO) Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Douglas County School District (CO) Superintendent Elizabeth Celania-Fagen

Elizabeth Celania-Fagen

Bus Driver

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe best reason to work here is all the time off.

ConsDriving in the snow can be bad sometimes.

Great teachers but no Admin direction

ProsGreat teachers who love the students!

ConsToo many changes in too short of time! We work very hard with very little appreciation from district.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the hard work and love we give the students every day - and make sure we see that appreciation!

Sad experience after 15 years . . .

Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsSupportive parents, students and co-workers. This used to be the best District in the state. Used to have top-notch middle management.

ConsLow pay; decreased benefits; no severance pay - only pay out sick pay at $7.00 per hour for teachers; BOE has more lawsuits than a Perry Mason rerun; Middle management chosen from mediocre staff; only way to increase pay is to stop working with kids and move to the top heavy admin building.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

District in steep decline

ProsGreat area of the state to live in, great parents, ready-to-learn students and great colleages.

ConsThe very reform-minded school board has decimated the ranks of experienced teachers and has made the working conditions unbearable. The evaluation system is unclear and untenable if you actually want to spend most of your time teaching students. There is an unwritten cap on highly effective ratings and if your principal gives out too many you are subject to review by central administrators who have no first-hand knowledge of your classroom.

Advice to Senior ManagementDitch unsuccessful reforms, focus on students rather than being in the national reform spotlight and take advantage of the fabulous demographics of the area. Kids are ready to learn and management is determined to put up roadblocks to their success.

The DCSD Nightmare

Science Teacher (Current Employee)
    Parker, CO

ProsOn the whole, the students are nice. Not necessarily more motivated than at other schools, but nice enough.

ConsEVERYTHING. This place is a nightmare. Regardless of how much you need a job, do not take a position in this district. The school board has silenced all teachers and administration. Bullying is frequent, and if a teacher tries to speak out, they will be targeted. This is telling about the superintendent: there are actually members of the community who have shirts that say #firefagen. The board is corrupt. Employees are not valued. Turnover rate among staff and admin is so high that it's almost impossible to receive adequate help with anything if you're new to the district. Some schools have 50% turnover in staff each year! HR and payroll are not easy to work with. The expectations of teachers regarding evaluations changed in February of last year, and many of us ended up doing our "hoop jumping" aka "portfolio" during spring break. Please inform yourself before taking a position in this district. It's too late for me to get out of here because of the number of years of service that I have in the district vs the number of years that will transfer to any other district, but if I could jump off of this sinking ship, I would in a heartbeat.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit turning our students into pawns for your political agenda.

Depends greatly on your supervisor

ProsInnovative educational practices; lots of great teachers and an involved community. I've learned a ton while working here.

ConsNo diversity. Low morale due to board and central leadership. Lots of changes all at once that have been very stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat adults how you expect them to treat kids.

A lot of bad attitudes!

Relief Driver (Former Employee)
    Castle Rock, CO

ProsI received a lot of relovent certifications, and they were always updated on time. Very thorough training for drivers.

ConsAlot of employees with seniority have very bad attitudes about the district, and aren't afraid to say anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementReprimand those who are verbal about their job dissatisfaction!!

Terrific schools with happy, smart kids— Board of Educ. and Superintendent are garbage

Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsStaff in Douglas County are the best and each school I visit I enjoy a lot. My own kid goes to DC schools and I am happy about that, knowing she is getting a great education from teachers that know their stuff. Most teachers in the district are hardworking, selfless, and do what is best for every child.

ConsOur Board and the Superintendent are on an agenda and find every way they can to lower health coverage, freeze the pay scale, and implement a teacher evaluation system that is demeaning, degrading, and corrupt. It requires you to do certain things 90-100% of the time to get an sub-par pay raise (with no Cost of Living Adjustment). If you do get rated as a top-notch 'Highly Effective' teacher, the Board will go on a witch hunt to downgrade you and prove why you're not that good. My question: If they think our district is so good (and they say it all the time), then why do they try to discount our work and keep us from pay increases and not allow us to be rated 'Highly Effective'? Do they essentially mean they have no good teachers?

DCSD was accredited more highly before this Board and Superintendent were here than it is now. Enough said.

Advice to Senior ManagementDouglas County's poverty level is ABOVE the lowest paid teachers' pay. How can one even live in a cheaper area and commute to be paid so little, especially if there are no pay increases in sight (pay has been frozen for 5 years now). The Board and Superintendent may not have to worry about money as much, but we teachers work our butts off and get nearly nothing monetarily in return. In fact, I'm leaving teaching after 13 years as a result!

Very Poor Leadership

Classroom Teacher (Current Employee)
    Highlands Ranch, CO

Pros- terrific students
    - aside from the fact community members voted in our current school board members and superintendent, parents volunteer in their children's classrooms

Cons- vast majority of DCSD classroom teachers and support staff members are over-qualified, under-paid, and not valued by the district's school board members and superintendent

- funds from tax payers in DCSD are not evenly dispersed among DCSD elementary schools

- poor DCSD leadership = unhappy teachers = mass exodus of employees from DCSD = students that lose the opportunity to learn from dynamic, master teachers = failing schools = lower property values in DCSD, etc. etc. etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementDr. Fagan and all of the School Board members are corrupt. They want to privatize public education and eliminate neighborhood schools. They continue to poison and devalue the decades of hard work, passion, energy, and resources that were poured into DCSD that made it flourish, prior to Fagan's arrival in our district and her politically motivated administration. It was once a highly desirable place to teach. Now, they can't keep teachers to stay IN the district! It was once a highly desirable place for families to send their children. Now, families are looking for ways they can move out of district, purely from an public education standpoint.
    WAKE UP!!! Start asking questions....

Was anxious to get in and now I'm anxious to get out!

ProsGreat teachers and building level admin.

ConsAwful board of education!! Every school is very different. Education in two separate schools could look totally different. Could be a good thing or a bad thing, I suppose

Worked for Douglas County School District (CO)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Douglas County School District (CO) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Douglas County School District (CO) CEO Elizabeth Celania-Fagen. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by Douglas County School District (CO) employees.