Douglas County School District (CO)

www.dcsdk12.org

Douglas County School District (CO) Reviews

Updated November 7, 2014
Updated November 7, 2014
2.0

Douglas County School District (CO) Superintendent Elizabeth Celania-Fagen
Elizabeth Celania-Fagen

Pros
  • Great teachers work hard to do what is best for great kids (in 6 reviews)

• great communities and families, great kids (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The current Board of Education has wrecked this district with faux reform (in 6 reviews)

• The evaluation system is unclear and untenable if you actually want to spend most of your time teaching students (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Special Educator and parent - 8 years at DCSD

I worked at Douglas County School District (CO)

Pros

Before 2009, DCSD was amazing. There was a spirit of true innovation and exploration with teachers and administrators who repeated "do what's right for kids" on a regular basis. It was a gift for the staff, families, students, and community. I've never before (or since) experienced such a conglomeration of educator talent and passion.

Cons

Those days are long gone. It became unbearable after two years with Fagan and the crew, so we sold our house and left the state. The level of disrespect and lack of intellectual curiosity about what it means to teach is staggering. And then there's all of the illegal, unethical, and straight up mean spirited policy the BOE has enacted. Don't even think about working their unless your only other job prospect is car washing or sign twirling.

Go back to wherever our is your came from and let DCSD heal and rebuild.

It was wonderful until the current school board was elected!

I worked at Douglas County School District (CO)

Pros

Wonderful, talented, innovative people to work with....(not for, but with!!)

Cons

The business like approach to converting education to a business model...That's NOT what's best for kids!

Wonderful place to work before the current BOE took over

Former Employee - Manager in Castle Rock, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Castle Rock, CO

I worked at Douglas County School District (CO) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Loved working here for the first 14 years, coworkers were amazing people dedicated to enriching the lives of students.

Cons

The administration is awful some of the worst additions to that team have happened in 2014, new COO is right on track to run every decent employee out the door.

focus on the amazing students there and stop trying to turn a profit

Terrible place to work.

I have been working at Douglas County School District (CO) full-time

Pros

Great parent community and teachers/

Cons

Terrible BOE and Superintendent. No support for teachers or administration. Pay and evaluation system are not fair or accurate.

If you thrive on being free to make history in education, this is nirvana!

Current Employee - Attorney in Castle Rock, CO
    Current Employee - Attorney in Castle Rock, CO

I have been working at Douglas County School District (CO) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This place rocks! The autonomy! The ability to control your own destiny! It's like being an entrepreneur in your job but with the safety net ( and retirement system) of government service. If you like being on the cutting edge of innovation in schools, this place is made for you.

Cons

There are a few grumpy people in the community longing for the old days of 1980's style education who try their best to trash the organization.

Don't limit yourself to the colleges of education for people to put in the classroom.

Teacher

I worked at Douglas County School District (CO)

Pros

I thought the pay was fair. Co workers were great

Cons

The upper management was bad

Dont work here

I worked at Douglas County School District (CO)

Pros

If you enjoy trying to make a difference and work with kids this is a great job

Cons

The School Board is dragging down the entire district

The board is ruining the district. They are turning it into a political stomping grounds.

I worked at Douglas County School District (CO) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with and the kids. The kids and families are wonderful in this district. I enjoyed being with the kids everyday!

Cons

The environment is constantly changing due to the decisions of the current board. This has become a district catering to political motives and the focus is becoming less and less on the children. The money keeps getting tighter and is being funneled away from the classroom.

Vote in a new Board that respects the community, the parents and the employees.

Open for suggestions slow to change.

Former Employee - Custodian in Castle Rock, CO
    Former Employee - Custodian in Castle Rock, CO

I worked at Douglas County School District (CO) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy place to work. Never asked to do things too difficult. Comparable pay within the field of work. Always able to get proper equipment for job needing to be done.

Cons

Doesn't seem to promote growth for all employees equally. Makes some small tasks a overbearing chore where it need not be.

Get out of office and all day meetings. Back to basics work when allowed to work no micro managing.

Great teachers but no Admin direction

I have been working at Douglas County School District (CO)

Pros

Great teachers who love the students!

Cons

Too many changes in too short of time! We work very hard with very little appreciation from district.

Appreciate the hard work and love we give the students every day - and make sure we see that appreciation!