Dow Chemical

Dow Chemical Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Dow Chemical Chairman, President, and CEO Andrew N. Liveris

Andrew N. Liveris

Pros:
  • "Work life balance exists with your choice of a 4 10 or 9 80 work schedule"
    in 46 reviews
  • "Good benefits, if you got college you can make real good money"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance processes are interpreted by Human managers"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Lots of time and money spent on developing work processes that people don't follow"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company

Lead Analyst (Current Employee)
    Freeport, TX

ProsOverall, a very good company to work with. Huge emphasis on safety, and they are great about work-life balance in my department

ConsWhen you are working at a satellite site from your direct line of management, you feel left out.

Great Company!

(Former Employee)
    Hahnville, LA

ProsWork-Life Balance (4/10's and 9/80's in most locations)
    Great pay and benefits
    Laid Back Environment
    Very team oriented
    Brilliant co-workers

ConsToo many meetings
    No tuition reimbursement

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue developing the co-ops and interns. Include the tuition reimbursement in the benefits package if you want to hire and retain the best talent.

Great Company

Office Professional (Former Employee)
    Hahnville, LA

ProsAwesome Pay and Awesome Atmosphere. Easy commute and very friendly supervisors.

ConsThey hire alot of contractors and very hard to get on with Dow itself.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing hands on learning experience!

Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee)
    Texas City, TX

ProsFrom day 1, I was given a mentor who really helped me along the way. I was also given a list of projects that were already targeted for me to work on. I was able to ask any of my coworkers for help at anytime, and I was not made to feel like I was a bother. I really got hands on technical experience during the summer that I worked there as an intern.

ConsIn deliberating offers for full time, my offer for DOW wasn't as competitive as I'd hoped, and I was told that it was non-negotiable. Having almost 10 years experience in the technical field before graduation, and being told that my previous didn't matter was upsetting. Also there, benefits and incentives were being changed that year and that didn't make the offer any better. The year that I was looking for a full time position, they also cancelled their career expo that they hold for graduating seniors, so my chance to interview for positions that I was really interested in was a no-go.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would definitely take another look at the pay scale for new engineers, and the overall benefits and incentives packages. Most new graduates are looking for more attractive offers when taking a full time position.

I have worked at Dow for about 3.5 months.

ProsWork-Life Balance
    Great Culture
    Diversity
    Flexibility
    Learning Curve flows well

ConsLack of structure in some areas

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the process before making abrupt and unnecessary changes.

Good place to work if you just do your job.

Manufacturing Operator (Former Employee)
    Edina, MN

ProsWith good work ethic and some ambition, there are many opportunities to do different things and take on bigger responsibilities. You'll get slightly bigger and faster raises.

ConsOthers get away with mediocre work ethic that brings down entire groups, and management does little to nothing about it. On the other hand, don't over-exceed or you'll quickly feel the diminishing return.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage the underachievers, and compensate and cultivate the over-achievers.

Good company with opportunities in certain locations

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsGood salary and benefits, flexible work arrangements are available, though these can be limited by department. Many functions have rotational programs to allow employees to gain experience in several different areas and work on challenging projects. Lots of opportunities to work on high-profile projects, even for employees who are new or less experienced.

ConsOpportunities for advancement can be limited, especially for those not located at major sites such as Midland, MI or Houston, TX. Morale has also been low over the past few years due to multiple strategy changes and reorganizations with layoffs. The company has lost a lot of great people over the past five years, and the current workforce is stretched way too thin, with unreasonable workloads and performance expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemain committed to the strategy -- constant changes cause fear and lack of motivation. Don't cut the Recognition program in Q4 to save money.

My Experience in Dow Chemical

Process Automation Engineer (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsBig company, Knowledgeable People, Friendly environment, Decent Salary,

ConsLots of Rues and Regulation, Lack of innovation. Very Dew Centric, Layers and lays of mangements

many good coworkers and bosses but losing ground/ many good manreps

Design Eng (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

Prosits like a retirement home.day to day tasks cab be boring. but assignments are good mostly.maybe not for everyone but they do seem to get you on better ones later

Conspay, lately real high turn over, most of the supervision now is very immature,mainly in engineering, the good ones have retired, they have a hard time recruiting top talent

Advice to Senior Managementquit paying attention to kiss butts

Still many opportunities even though company is going through a spinoff phase

Production Engineer (Current Employee)

Pros-Work life balance exists with your choice of a 4 10 or 9 80 work schedule.
    -Dow values diversity as there has been large initiatives to push up the women and minority representation in their work force.
    -Great resume brand name in the Midwest and in the South.
    -Opportunities to have short term roles abroad early in your career if you make it known on your EDP.
    -A company run by engineers. Hard to find one not run by MBA's and Finance folks nowadays.
    -This is the company to join if you are a ChemE and have a passion for large scale manufacturing. Not many companies come close to Dow's manufacturing scale.

Cons-Intensive cost cutting is pervasive throughout the company. Some businesses have it worse than others. It seems like cost cutting is becoming a primary focus of Dow but I hope this doesn't become its "fall."
    -Pay for Gulf coast engineers isn't up to par to those in similar industries. Young top talent engineers may consider jumping ship because of this.

Advice to Senior Management-Focus on figuring out on getting the absolute top talent from your premier recruiting universities. The NSP recruiting program is too rigid/inflexible. Sometimes top talent is dissuaded from considering Dow as their #1 destination because of this.

Worked for Dow Chemical? Contribute to the Community!

Dow Chemical Videos

Dow Chemical – Why Work for Us?

We’re for what goes after the equal sign. We are chemists. We are scientists. We are thinkers. Dreamers. Believers. And doers. We connect chemistry and innovation with the principles of sustainability to help address… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dow Chemical reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dow Chemical CEO Andrew N. Liveris. All 462 reviews posted anonymously by Dow Chemical employees.