Dow Chemical
www.dow.com Midland, MI 5000+ Employees

Dow Chemical Reviews

Pros:
  • "They stressed work/life balance and they took us to a private baseball game"
    in 36 reviews
  • "Good benefits, if you got college you can make real good money"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance processes are interpreted by Human managers"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Terrible Work Processes-Complicated and cumbersome, it victimizes its own perceived productivity"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A place where people are treated with respect, and division executives get moved around frequently

I have been working at Dow Chemical

ProsPeople treat each other with respect.

ConsThere is often lack of accountability with middle managers, as they are moved around often and therefore cannot be accountable for any actions they take (and take any credit for short-term profits) during their tenure at any position. Lack of business strategy in some divisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-read "Good to Great" by Jim Collins - spend less time worrying about alignment at the division level, and worry more about getting good people who work together across functions to do great business.

good experience, but too many hours with lousy compensation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Dow Chemical

ProsDow Chemical does offer a variety of job experiences, and good growth opportunities You are an asset to them, meaning they do not care about the happiness of their employees, or the work-life balance of their employees. Instead they care about the number of hours you can work, and how cheaply they can get you to work those hours.

ConsDow Chemical requires you to work ridiculously long hours with low compensation for the number of hours worked. They do not care about their employees happiness, or retaining employees for the long term. When I was looking to relocate to another state for personal reasons, they offered me a job with no relocation when competitors would pay relocation. Then they offered a cheap version of relocation, which again was not competitive with industry standards. I opted to leave the company, and seek employment elsewhere. Since then, I've realized how much better a company culture can be.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to respect your employees and their contributions. Also, you should ensure company pay is competitive with the industry average and approximately fair for the job tasks.

Very competitive place to work at with high pay, but stressful

Manager (Current Employee)
Spring House, PA

I have been working at Dow Chemical

ProsGood pay with excellent bonus and stock options
Exciting research oppertunities
Location is close to major cities and cultural activities
The team I am in is highly motivated

ConsArrogant upper management
some nanomanaging and hyper criticism
politics.....

Advice to Senior ManagementChange performance mananagment system

A good place to work.

Senior Analytical Technician (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay
Dow's commitment to employee growth
Dow's commitment to Employee Health and Safety

ConsSome technicians are overworked in some groups
Some jobs are hard on you physically

Advice to Senior ManagementMore management involvement (Those managers who oversee groups in areas in which they are not physically located)

Rewarding

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)
Marlborough, MA

I worked at Dow Chemical

ProsOpportunities are various and at many locations around the world

ConsContinual change ( during Rohm & Haas ) transition was a distraction

Great place to work to gain experience but organizational changes and focus on protocols prevents advancement.

Houston, TX

I have been working at Dow Chemical

ProsUnified corporate focus on safety, ergonomics, and health is refreshing

Company culture is easy-going but professional, people are knowledgeable in their fields

Flex time is a God send if you've only worked 8-5 throughout your career

Depending on the Manager, they will make sure you're recognized for the work that you do

ConsVery much the system of "its not what you know, it's who you know" to advance in your career

Managers and Leaders are so focused on meeting corporate policies and attending meetings they are unable to effectively manage their employees and do their jobs at times

For a large company, politics plays a huge role in the type of projects you're assigned and how well the Manager works with you. Bottom line, if the Manager doesn't like you count on being assigned projects that end quickly

Little chance of being hired as a Direct employee

Advice to Senior ManagementMake employee satisfaction a corporate policy the same way health and safety are emphasized;

Worked for Dow Chemical? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dow Chemical reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dow Chemical CEO Andrew N. Liveris. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by Dow Chemical employees.