Dow Chemical

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Dow Chemical Chairman, President, and CEO Andrew N. Liveris

Andrew N. Liveris

46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Dow Chemical is a great place to work for especially because it is global and you have the chance to make a difference.

Technical Service and Development Engineer (Current Employee)
    Freeport, TX

ProsCompany Values, Great Culture Environment, Chance to move up the ladder on the technical side rather than switching to management if you choose, competitive pay rates.

Conschemical company therefore many risks and hazards.

Excellent Work life balance, but future is limited

EHS Specialist (Current Employee)
    Freeport, TX

ProsExcellent Work Life Balance. Excellent benefits. Decent Culture.

ConsVery little opportunity beyond EHS Specialist

Dow Chemical- A great place to go if you don't want to have any impact and not feel empowered but want a job that pays.

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Freeport, TX

ProsMoney-The money was good and very competitive
    Flex Scheduling-9/80's and 4/10's
    Work Life Balance is ok
    Genuine about safety
    Can move around and do different things-but mostly lateral moves
    Good hourly workers-many of the older Dow workers are great, and are the real backbone of Texas Operations

ConsHealth insurance is not as good as competitors or other nearby industries
    Not innovative at all-Unwilling to try new things or technologies
    Consensus style management-no one has the stomach to make a decision
    Peter Principle alive and well at the Freeport Site
    Doesn't know what it wants to do when it grows up-consantly changing focus, selling assets, focusing on short term goals.
    Too much shareholder focus-employees are second
    Too many work processes
    Too many chiefs and not enough people who actually accomplish work.
    Cost savings mode all the time-codeword cheap on fixing stuff or maintaining assets
    Not much promotion potential-must ride the coat tails of a manager to move up-i.e. be a minority, female, or brown noser to really move up. Hard work and competence has nothing to do with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a plan stick with it-Decide what kind of chemical company do you want to be
    Reduce your overhead by simplifying work processes and get rid of useless middle management
    Make managers be competent technically and be good people managers
    Develop a culture of innovation at a department level-It is frustrating for experienced hires to bring cost saving and time savings innovations just to be shot down

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company

Lead Analyst (Current Employee)
    Freeport, TX

ProsOverall, a very good company to work with. Huge emphasis on safety, and they are great about work-life balance in my department

ConsWhen you are working at a satellite site from your direct line of management, you feel left out.

OK

Mechanical Integrity Inspector (Current Employee)
    Freeport, TX

ProsGood culture and relationship between upper and lower levels. Dignity and respect - Dow walks the talk. People treat each other well.

ConsFast pace - Dow expects a lot of their workers. Never much of a lull. Sometimes the work load is heavy and expectations high.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with your employees

Good work environment

Senior CHEMIST (Current Employee)

Pros1) Great work culture
    2) Extremely sharp people to work with

Cons1) Mid level management need to bring more clarity

Advice to Senior ManagementMore closer interaction needed with employees

It is OK for the most part, I like the union and see it as a safety net but salary demeans us.

Plant Operator (Current Employee)
    Freeport, TX

ProsEmpowerment, generally speaking your are your own boss. No foreman or shift foreman over your back 24/7 telling you what to do or how to take a dump. You do have a supervisor which is your operations leader, and technical adviser. I like the feel of this setup, much better then most other places I been.

ConsEngineers do not always make good boss or leaders. A very smart tech savoy person might not be a good leader. I fail to see how they never hire operation leaders from other sources. The requirement seems to be based on the good old boys club of engineering.

Another unpleasant fact I deal with is blocking the internet of union operators or leaving that decision for operational leaders. While non-union operators have full access, imagine being sent link after link even form the CEO or other leader saying go hear check this video out or vote on the USA team uniform. Guess what even important training links are block my job requires internet access but because of poor judgement and backwater thinking they block it specifically to union operators.

Advice to Senior ManagementBackwaters thinking, and play favorites too much,

Awesome Internship Experience

Reliability Engineer (Former Employee)
    Freeport, TX

ProsReally focused on keeping employees happy. Make sure that everyone leaves each day as healthy as they were when they came. Allow for a great work life balance. Really happy environment centered on worker relationships.

ConsSpend a lot of time on safety almost to the point where its obstructing to progress, however, safety is their number one priority. Usually you will have a long commute to work because the plants aren't in the best living condition towns.

Great work environment when the economy is healthy. The industry struggled during down turn.

HSE (Current Employee)
    Freeport, TX

ProsInvestment in individual employees, investment in site infrastructure, good total compensation package, focused on safety, environmental stewardship & clear pursuit of industry best practices.

ConsSite is set up to run process equipment not to comfort, so the office space in general is not very accommodating. Not close to eateries so bring your lunch or purchase tasty, unhealthy, few choice menu items.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay on program, continue to improve & hope that the economy gets & stays healthy.

Carrer building, process oriented Front Leading Company

Maint Supt (Former Employee)
    Freeport, TX

Prosroom for growth in company

Consi have no down sides to working there

Worked for Dow Chemical? Contribute to the Community!

Dow Chemical Videos

Dow Chemical – Why Work for Us?

We’re for what goes after the equal sign. We are chemists. We are scientists. We are thinkers. Dreamers. Believers. And doers. We connect chemistry and innovation with the principles of sustainability to help address… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dow Chemical reviews and ratings in Freeport, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dow Chemical CEO Andrew N. Liveris. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Dow Chemical employees.