Dow Chemical Reviews in Midland, MI

Updated October 18, 2014
3.6

Dow Chemical Chairman, President, and CEO Andrew N. Liveris
Andrew N. Liveris

Pros
  • Work life balance exists with your choice of a 4 10 or 9 80 work schedule (in 56 reviews)

• work environment, plenty of back ups since everyone knows each others job, good vacation time provided (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • The trade off of having a great work life balance is that promotions come at a slower pace (in 13 reviews)

• Lots of time and money spent on developing work processes that people don't follow (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

105 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company - slow moving

Former Employee - Finance Leadership Development Program in Midland, MI
    Former Employee - Finance Leadership Development Program in Midland, MI

I worked at Dow Chemical as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the culture and the accountability afforded to me. It was a great place to work and I learned a lot. The leadership was fair and it was clear what my goals were.

Cons

Change happens over long periods of time. Dow has legacy businesses that make a lot of money and therefore risk taking has a very high premium. Overall it was difficult to make change, however, when necessary the leadership does make decisions to help their customers, shareholders and employees.

Use advanced modeling to better understand risk

Great company

Former Employee - R&D Intern in Midland, MI
    Former Employee - R&D Intern in Midland, MI

I worked at Dow Chemical as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great Company. Forward thinking, solution oriented, and provides challenging opportunities for interns. Interns are trusted with real responsibilities that can have significant impact on the company.

Cons

Location-wise, Midland does not have much to do for college age students. This is ok though, because it forces interns to bond and plan many types of activities.

Excellent Company, Especially for Your Early Career

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Midland, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Dow has so many absolutely brilliant people from whom to learn. There is deep and wide expertise everywhere - lots of opportunities for gaining knowledge and insight.

Pay and benefits are good, especially if you live/work in one of the lower cost of living sites (Midland, Freeport, etc.). I personally love working in Midland. Michigan (the rest of the state outside of Midland and the southeast) is absolutely beautiful and there is a ton to do. Midland is nice enough as a place to live. Great for families.

There are opportunities to try different jobs and experience different businesses and markets.

Middle management is very, very good by and large. I've had six managers. Two have been good, two have been very good, and two have been outstanding. That seems to be the trend among the first and second level managers. There are outliers, of course, but it's nice to have good immediate bosses.

Cons

Corporate bureaucracy runs amok. There's a process for how to read processes. There's a process for how to use the restroom. It gets absolutely ridiculous, and the overuse and over reliance on processes leads to frustration and lack of creativity and innovation.

For such a huge company, I'm blown away by how much career advancement depends upon who you know more than what you do. To get much beyond the first layer of leadership seems to involve significant butt-kissing.

Dow values diversity of appearance, not diversity of thought. This results in having people with a wide variety of skin colors and genital configurations who all take the same narrow-minded approach to everything.

This combination of drawbacks leads to an environment composed of three types of people: newbies, drones, and sycophants. The noobs are typically talented and ambitious, and Dow is a great place to start a career and learn. Once people get to mid-career, they have to choose to either be a drone (just doing their job and going home, knowing there is little opportunity to make an impact or meaningfully advance one's career) or a sycophant (kissing butt to move up the ladder). To be honest, being a drone at Dow is a pretty good existence. Pay is great, people are good, work can still be interesting, work-life balance is unbeatable... I don't want it to sound like it's awful. It's just that if you really want to make a splash with your career, the life of a Dow drone isn't a great place to be. Likewise, if you're willing to just do whatever it takes to move up, there's opportunity as a sycophant. If you have your own perspective and ideas of how to make the company better, not so much.

You're way more likely to lose your job at Dow by being in the wrong place at the wrong time than you are by being incompetent. A very good scientist or account manager will get laid off because Dow chooses to de-emphasize a certain business unit or product line while nitwits in an unaffected department keep their jobs. If you choose to work at Dow, always be cognizant of how your business or function is viewed by the higher-ups. That's the single biggest threat to your job.

Why bother? That's the big problem, that senior management is oblivious to perspectives that don't come from their little echo chamber.

Good Pay, Good People, Solid Company

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Midland, MI
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Midland, MI

I worked at Dow Chemical as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation is very reasonable for engineers. Global company with lots of variety in job opportunities. The Midland site leader seems very intelligent, capable, and still a down-to-earth man of the people. I love the diversity of products and that leadership is continuously willing to venture into new areas to expand business.

Cons

Safety is #1 priority, but I still feel nervous when there's a safety alert from an upwind plant building.

A great traditional company, currently trying to adapt to a 21st century workplace culture

Current Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Midland, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work-life flexibility, leaders want to see you grow, develop and advance, team-focused culture with employees that are invested in the success of the company. Dow is investing heavily in Midland, the city it is based in, putting up new buildings, being integral to the community, and focusing more on recruting out of college than it has in the past decade.

Cons

The average age is a bit high
    With a very strong focus on earnings every year, you tend to hear "no" more than "yes" when it comes to new projects or ideas.
    The onboarding experience was not great - I was kind of thrown into the fire and was expected to understand the structure, workings, and expectations of the company very quickly. 2 years+ in, I'm just atarting to get it, but I felt like it's been a very "wobbly" experience until this point.
    Midland, while being a great place ot raise a family, is an awful place to start a family. While the new hire scene is there and growing, you need to make an effort to partake in it. Without a social group, you'll find yourself struggling to find things to do. Most of the time, even with a group of friends, you'll venture outside of Midland on weekends to do things (northern Michigan in the summer, traveling South in the winter (maybe a little bit of skiing up North)).

Improve the onboarding process if you want to retain new employees. Get new employees excited to work for Dow, especially those that work at corporate. There can be a real disconnect working at corporate from what the company actually does and provides for the world. We're a Fortune 50 company, but sometimes it feels like Chemical Company XYZ.

World-class work experience in a small community

Current Employee - Functional Accountant in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Functional Accountant in Midland, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation is good, opportunity to move between functions provided an opportunity to grow experience.

Cons

For a company receiving accolades for flexibility, the ability to create a job that works for the employee can be very difficult. Forced rankings for performance evaluations.

Great company attempting to move into the 21st Century

Current Employee - Supply Chain Management Intern in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Management Intern in Midland, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Culture, people, worklife balance, room to move in differend directions within the company

Cons

Slow technology, data attainment and validation, poor automation

Allowing more time to make decisions on full time offers after internships

Enjoyable Learning Experience at Dow Chemical

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Midland, MI
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Midland, MI

I worked at Dow Chemical as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I learned a lot. Everyone was nice and willing to help me. I felt like my projects mattered.

Cons

Frequent superficiality about other interns. Clearly just trying to network for politics sake.

Get to know your hourly workers jobs well.

Good

Current Employee - Public & Government Affairs in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Public & Government Affairs in Midland, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great learning experience
    Great Pay
    Nice People

Cons

Location
    Traditional Company
    No more I can think of

The best. that's why I've been there for 30 years!

Former Employee - Process Controls Designer in Midland, MI
    Former Employee - Process Controls Designer in Midland, MI

I worked at Dow Chemical as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great People, no back biting, great pay for a non degreed position, top in cutting edge engineering and design.

Cons

Cons: Realizing I'll never be rich!

You are inclusive to a fault. Don't let the greasy wheel intimidate you. Don't ever hire putting quotas ahead of good management. Demand your employees speak understandable English!