Dow Chemical

Dow Chemical Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Dow Chemical Chairman, President, and CEO Andrew N. Liveris

Andrew N. Liveris

Pros:
  • "Work life balance exists with your choice of a 4 10 or 9 80 work schedule"
    in 46 reviews
  • "Good benefits, if you got college you can make real good money"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance processes are interpreted by Human managers"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Lots of time and money spent on developing work processes that people don't follow"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Electronic materials division in Newark, DE is a great place to work for, even though Newark may not be attractive site.

ProsGood place to gain the necessary corporate experience early on in the career (especially for PhD level scientists and engineers). Avenues exist to move across divisions or functions (technical to managerial). Flex timing etc. Relatively stable environment.

ConsFew to no ptions for advancement beyond middle level. Dilapidated performance management system enforced by Big-Dow on an otherwise Silicon valley type talent pool.

Advice to Senior Management'One size fits all approach' in managing different businesses (EM vs oil) needs to be revisited to retain and make best use of talent.

Dow Chemical is a great place to work for especially because it is global and you have the chance to make a difference.

Technical Service and Development Engineer (Current Employee)
    Freeport, TX

ProsCompany Values, Great Culture Environment, Chance to move up the ladder on the technical side rather than switching to management if you choose, competitive pay rates.

Conschemical company therefore many risks and hazards.

Great career-starter. Fantastic benefits, but a very politics hierarchy and mid to long term vision within businesses.

Production Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, work-life balance (except in ops), ability to relocate and try new roles

ConsShort term, reactionary decision-making; lack of leadership (quality and quantity); little reward for going the extra mile.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on long term growth. Make an effort to reward your talented employees.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

long time contract experience

Information Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
    Midland, TX

Prosglobalizations, working environment, management, working life balance is ok.

Conspeople, releationship, collaborations, efficiency, opportunities

Excellent Work life balance, but future is limited

EHS Specialist (Current Employee)
    Freeport, TX

ProsExcellent Work Life Balance. Excellent benefits. Decent Culture.

ConsVery little opportunity beyond EHS Specialist

Great Job

Import Compliance (Current Employee)
    Midland, MI

ProsAwesome benefits and perks, flexible

ConsLeadership can be better and more involved

Dow is a great company, but it is also an enormous company..

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Marietta, GA

ProsCompetitive compensation. Great people. Collaborative. Very safety oriented. Genuinely care about employee development. The benefits package is top notch. Excellent health insurance. 401(k) matching up to the first 6% contributed.

ConsIt's a big company so it can feel like it takes a long time to push anything through. I personally have found it difficult to advance my career. One big con is that its HQ's are in Midland MI.

Great network culture with options for finding roles that fit best

R&D Manager (Current Employee)
    Midland, MI

ProsThe culture is such that finding the right person is always just a couple phone calls away. Almost everyone goes out of their way to help coworkers from across the company. And, being such a large company, there are many positions likely to suit most anyone, so if you have a desire for a change and the will to work through the company to make a move (networking, expressing your desires, working hard and taking on new challenges), it is possible to move into something great.

ConsIt can be a competitive environment because, as with any company but particularly those not growing at unsustainable rates, there are limited rewards (pay increases, bonuses, leadership positions). The company has very good compensation compared to market values, but people want more relative to their peers, and not everyone can be above average, by definition. There is a lot of focus on annual performance reviews in the culture that can drive non-collaborative behavior in areas where leaders aren't valuing collaboration, or publicly emphasizing valuing collaboration, as much as they should. Dow also hires top-notch people, so there is disappointment when many who have been told they are the best through their life end up being told they are average here.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider carefully the messages being sent about collaboration vs individual performance management. One way to take the focus off rewards people are getting is to make us more proud to work at the company. We are told we solve problems and are high quality people, but give us something beyond the company to be proud of- how those solutions we come up with impact people around the world.

Dow's Ringwood, Illinois Facility

Contractor (Current Employee)
    Ringwood, IL

ProsSome friendly people, other than that not much.

ConsJust go there, it will make you puke. Worst place I have ever been. I did some contractors work there and it is a complete circus. No one knows who is in control. No one knows what the chain of command is including the site leader. The operators seem willing to help out, but they are afraid of their own shadow and they act as if they are about to commit suicide. I am just glad I don't work there all of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would tell management to be more human and not so "by the books." Meaning there is no laughter at this plant if I see an operator make a small mistake on a safe work permit it is possible they will be fired. I have seen many of them go and this makes me never want to work in a place where people are willing to rat you out for nonsense. I have asked management about why they fire people for stupid reasons and they always say "We are Dow, it is about safety." That is the typical giant corporate answer of people terrified of losing their jobs.

As an engineer, this company has it all; good pay, great benefits, and a work-life balance.

Improvement Engineer (Former Employee)
    Plaquemine, LA

Pros- Work-life Balance
    - Can make your out-of-work issue a priority
    - Higher ups are personable
    - Connections can bring you places
    - People are go-getters
    - Easy-going

Cons- Difficult to see future of company sometimes
    - Broad spectrum of personalities leaves room for uninspired people
    - Complacency is sometimes an issue
    - Difficult to make some of the smallest changes

Advice to Senior Management- Keep being personable
    - May horizon seeable to all employees

Worked for Dow Chemical? Contribute to the Community!

Dow Chemical Videos

Dow Chemical – Why Work for Us?

We’re for what goes after the equal sign. We are chemists. We are scientists. We are thinkers. Dreamers. Believers. And doers. We connect chemistry and innovation with the principles of sustainability to help address… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dow Chemical reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dow Chemical CEO Andrew N. Liveris. All 461 reviews posted anonymously by Dow Chemical employees.