Dow Chemical Reviews

Reset
3.6
Dow Chemical Chairman, President & CEO Andrew N. Liveris
Andrew N. Liveris

Pros
  • Work life balance exists with your choice of a 4 10 or 9 80 work schedule (in 61 reviews)

• You will find a very respectful and friendly work environment (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Too many work processes sometimes make getting things done more challenging than they need to be (in 15 reviews)

1. Don't Work in Maintenance Unless they Change Management

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Specialist in Plaquemine, LA
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Specialist in Plaquemine, LA

I worked at Dow Chemical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dow as a company is very good and well intentioned.

Cons

Management needs to be overhauled. Especially in Maintenance where the managers bypass procedures for processing $$$ with short cuts that are in opposition to they way it is written. (Often, there isn't even a written process!) Seriously, someone needs to audit that department from July 2014 to October 2014 and they will find that companies were paid incorrectly most of the time. Serious violation of the Dow Code of Ethics

Advice to Management

Tighten your belts because you are in for a bucket of sick audits - Code Red!!!@

2. Supply Chain Specialist

I worked at Dow Chemical

Pros

Treats employees highly autonomously. Great pay and excellent benefits.

Cons

I have to say I have no negative views of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep up with your management style.

3. Unsure of future growth opportunities

Current Employee - Associate R&D Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate R&D Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Dow Chemical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One can gain a lot of experience, learn a lot, and make good connections if you are proactive. There are many great people to work with here, and they offer 9/80 and 4/10 schedules, as well as other flexible schedules if worked out with HR and your supervisor.

Cons

Because the last big hiring period of technical people was 20+ years ago, there is a lack of training programs and on-boarding procedures that leave many young hires frustrated if they do not know how to network and ask the right people for help whenever needed. The company also seems to be set on a course where R&D is not appreciated as much as it was before - leaving many unsure if there really are opportunities for growth. Location is a big con if you are not a small town living kind of person

Advice to Management

Management styles that have taken over in the past few years are not ideal, especially for the younger generation - too much micromanagement, with upper management promising too much to those above them and to Wall Street, without any regard for those below who have to do the work to meet those promises. Also, it is not encouraging when management solicits employee suggestions for job satisfaction improvement, and then subsequently does nothing about the situation year after year.

5. Office Professional

Former Employee - Office Professional in Freeport, TX
    Former Employee - Office Professional in Freeport, TX

I worked at Dow Chemical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, AFO is great. There are many opportunities to pursue growth development, depending on where you work in Dow the hands on training is good.

Cons

Again, depending on who you work for reflects how much "flexibility" you are offered. I reported to a micro manager. This was difficult for me as I had come from an independent work situation in a corporate environment, and then went to a blue collar manufacturing environment. Additionally, some of the op's carried unusually large work loads. Keep in mind that once you take a permanent job with Dow Chemical, you are stuck at that job for three years before you can bid out. That is a long time if you are not satisfied in your position. The work life balance did not apply to my position, (all depends on who you report to) and I also feel like the salaries are on the low side

Advice to Management

Take better care of training managers, do not promote people to management that are not assertive and certain in their own beliefs. (i.e.; speak out of both sides of their mouth, do not back their own employees up). Up your administrative pay scale, and allow all op's the same advantages, disadvantages.

6. Awesome place to work if you are not in Customer Information Group!

Former Employee - Cross Business Specialist in Midland, MI
    Former Employee - Cross Business Specialist in Midland, MI

I worked at Dow Chemical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay, Work Life Balance, Excellent Benefits, ability to work from home on bad weather days, Culture, co-workers were great, fun atmosphere, and pot lucks.

Cons

Customer Information Group was so boring as it was a call center. Salary means extra hours and increased workload most of the time.

Advice to Management

Let employees move around more if they feel complacent in their current role. My boss wouldn't help me get elsewhere.

7. Great company, horrible locations

Current Employee - Associate Research Scientist in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Associate Research Scientist in Midland, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, one of the best at what they do. Encourage you to network within the company and provide you with a mentor. You can climb the ladder if you impress the right people- don't think it's based on skill. Will set you up for a great career when you leave, which you will.

Cons

Horrible locations. HQ is in Midland, MI- middle of nowhere religious small town. Absolutely nothing to offer. Expect to die alone if you're single, and if you're not, your spouse won't be able to find a job and will leave anyways. Think hard about what the price of your career is.

Advice to Management

Move the HQ to Freeport, or anywhere but Midland. Look at all employees on an even playing field.

electrical technician

Current Employee - Electrical Technician in Lake Jackson, TX
    Current Employee - Electrical Technician in Lake Jackson, TX

I have been working at Dow Chemical full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Health benefits and short drive.

Cons

Low pay and poor management

9. Stable, Slow-Progression with a touch of BS

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Freeport, TX
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Freeport, TX

I have been working at Dow Chemical (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want a stable, run of the mill, SME-type, wait your turn, slow and steady compensation then this is the place for you.

Cons

Can be quite political; all about who you know. I'm better because I got here before you did mentality

Good in many ways, but....

Current Employee - Senior Analytical Technologist in Lake Jackson, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Analytical Technologist in Lake Jackson, TX

I have been working at Dow Chemical full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation and benefits. Diversity and inclusion. More people who act professionally and courteously than in any other job I've held. Desire for input from all levels. Safety oriented.

Cons

The CEO has been carving up the company and selling it off for several years to create an "asset light" corporation. However, "asset light" includes decreasing the number of employees. If you want to be able to plan for the future (i.e. do I buy a house or not), this is not a company to invest your talent in at this time.

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO and come up with a new business strategy. Dow can only sell off so many pieces before they are nothing but a holding company.

11. Comfortable environment but hard to grow

Former Employee - Global Business Development in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Global Business Development in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Dow Chemical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Global Experience, large cross functional teams, nice benefits

Cons

With 60,000 people, lots of opportunities to change roles (& managers) within the company but unfortunately not great HR planning for long term career growth. Especially to fill the mid level manager gap.

RSS Feed </> Embed