Dow Chemical Reviews

3.9

Dow Chemical Chairman, President, and CEO Andrew N. Liveris
Andrew N. Liveris

Pros
  • Work life balance exists with your choice of a 4 10 or 9 80 work schedule (in 56 reviews)

• work environment, plenty of back ups since everyone knows each others job, good vacation time provided (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • The trade off of having a great work life balance is that promotions come at a slower pace (in 13 reviews)

• Lots of time and money spent on developing work processes that people don't follow (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

great place too work

I have been working at Dow Chemical

Pros

its a sound stable company to work for.

Cons

low base pay for entry level workers and the unavailability of access to over time.

Technologist delivering high quality of work with safety, consistency, dedication, and mindset of continueous improvemen

Current Employee - Technologist, M&E in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Technologist, M&E in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Dow Chemical

Pros

Growth opportunities, business stability, environmental friendliness, in-house skill development, experienced and trust based management, competative salary structures, good benefits.

Cons

Strong engineering based higher education preferences may sometimes filter capable and exceptional candidates from growth opportunities and valuable contributions in-house.

Seek out more exceptional and company dedicated employees within and promote a "reaching hand" philosophy to support them with less restricted tuition reimbursement and one-on-one coaching time with seasoned Dow managers and professionals to breed and foster the next generation of leaders and contributors. Some branches of Dow (including the microelectronics materials devision) require extensive long-term training and often carry a portion of tribal knowledge that is not easily substituted even with premium higher education studies. Allegro Microsystems Inc is a prime example of successfully investing in employees by means of in-house university training, mentoring, and promoting growth within (for the deserving candidates) resulting in an average employee tenure of over 5.5 years! Prior to outsourcing its Fab operations to China, Evergreen Solar's average employee tenure was only about 1.5 years. Investing up to 12 months of training (per employee) in learning a rather complex, yet very promising new String Ribbon Technology, but inability to create a Team oriented and mission based environment proved to be very costly for the company. Dow is much more mature in this aspect, and my only advice at the moment to our leadership is not to take any floor level employee feedback for granted, as change most often starts from "top down", yet its success is so reliant on how it is embraced, implemented, and respected from the "bottom up".

I have loved my job and am very proud, just wish I was able to pursue what has been on my EDP for 4 years

Current Employee - Client Service Administrator in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Client Service Administrator in Midland, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical

Pros

the flexibilty and work life balance are hard to beat, the pay is also wonderful, as well as the benefits

Cons

the company is so large that you are basically just an employee. The leadership usually isn't directly involved with your work and unless you are great at tooting your own horn, some accomplishments get overlooked. Also, that can be detrimental to career development and promotions.

Focus more on your OWN employees when jobs open up, don't go outside or use contractors. I have seen SO MANY contractors off the street get the job that was in my EDP for 4 years and that I had networked and worked so hard for. That is VERY heartbreaking to watch and surely does not improve employee morale.

I am thankful that Dow hired me 7yrs ago so that I can support my family.

Current Employee - Packaging Operator in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Packaging Operator in Midland, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical

Pros

close to home, the pay, benefits, those that I work with we are like family. For that I am blessed.

Cons

it's a Chemical Plant, the fighting among different groups, the disrespect and bulling that goes on.

It would be nice to actually meet Andrew Liveris. Management needs to do more for the "little guy". Instead of hiding out in the Corporate Office they need to actually meet the blue collar worker.

Great Company and Great Pay

Former Employee - Civil Engineer Intern in Plaquemine, LA
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer Intern in Plaquemine, LA

I worked at Dow Chemical

Pros

Great people with a can-do spirit. Dow has a reputation of overworking their employees, but this is not seen so much in Engineering Solutions. Engineering Solutions is perfect for someone looking to reap all the benefits of a large company, but still have a 8-5 job (very flexible on hours).

Cons

As a Civil Engineer there are not many opportunities for upward advancement. The only opportunities are to become a project manager, or to move into a non engineering role.

My only advice would be to the Engineering Solutions department to not try and be as competitive with other outside engineering companies because it takes away from the current employes.

My position has provided me with valuable work experience and opportunities.

Current Employee - Dow Co-Op in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Dow Co-Op in Midland, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical

Pros

Dow Chemical is a very flexible workplace.

Cons

I don't see any real cons about Dow Chemical.

Great place to work with a lot of talent and a good work / life balance.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Dow Chemical

Pros

Dow has a good strategy for growth, strong talent base, and excellent safety record. In addition, you have a lot of choice for career growth and job changes are strongly encouraged.

Cons

Dow is very process oriented, which can slow down or make simple tasks cumbersome. It also may over value employee movement between businesses and positions. Job movement is good, but the way to advance is largely based on changing jobs. It makes it hard to develop experts in niche areas.

Keep up the good work guiding the organization.

Great place to learn and grow in a rewarding career

I have been working at Dow Chemical

Pros

Well rounded development and global opportunities

Cons

Midland, Michigan is a quiet little town.

Continue the good work

Not a fair place to build your career on and work for the retirement.

Current Employee - Research Specialist in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Research Specialist in Midland, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical

Pros

Interesting and challenge projects. Great opportunity for professional growth.

Cons

Forced ranking performance review system is the worst that a company can do for its employees, even for the top "5" performers.

Very safe

Current Employee - Process Operator in Pittsburg, CA
    Current Employee - Process Operator in Pittsburg, CA

I have been working at Dow Chemical

Pros

Focus is on safety - more safety - and more safety! If the job is not safe, it is not done! Sense of community within the site and team within the block.

Cons

Prior incidents have instilled a culture of check, double-check and triple check. For me, I like this but it may not be for everyone.

Keep doing what you are doing - your track record the over the last 5-7 years is outstanding and I think it will continue to excel in the future.