Dow Chemical

Updated November 20, 2014
3.6

Dow Chemical Chairman, President, and CEO Andrew N. Liveris
Andrew N. Liveris

Pros
  • Work life balance exists with your choice of a 4 10 or 9 80 work schedule (in 57 reviews)

• work environment, plenty of back ups since everyone knows each others job, good vacation time provided (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • The trade off of having a great work life balance is that promotions come at a slower pace (in 13 reviews)

• Lots of time and money spent on developing work processes that people don't follow (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great coworkers, bad management

Former Employee - Production Technician in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Production Technician in Edina, MN

I worked at Dow Chemical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are welcoming and willing to help you learn

Cons

Supervisors will make your life miserable if you form any kind of opinion

Get some people skilss

Great people, Small town

Former Employee - Business Services
    Former Employee - Business Services

I worked at Dow Chemical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dow Chemical is truly a great company from a business perspective. For such a large organization, management is able to pivot strategy when needed to keep shareholders happy. The people at Dow (corporate) are high quality professionals who are great to work with. For most groups, work life balance is a priority. In the summer you typically see people heading for the door a couple hours early on Friday and it is a non-issue.

Benefits are great. Pension, 401k matching, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, long term incentives, and the cheapest health and dental that you will find in the fortune 500.

Cons

My least favorite aspect of Dow was the overall locations. I was in Midland and although it is a great family oriented small town, it just didn't keep me (mid 20's) socially fulfilled. Dow has literally hundreds of other locations around the world but if you want to be in the USA, you have to choose Houston, Midland, or Philly.

Keep benefits and compensation market competitive and continue to promote work life balance.

Not in Philly

Former Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Dow Chemical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great potential to learn and grow, if management was on your side This review is strictly for the Philadelphia office as I am aware that all of Dow Chemical does not operate the same way.

Cons

I've heard very good things about management in Midland, MI. How they mentor you and train and help you succeed and I've seen it happen. The Philly office is quite the contrary. I was interviewed and brought in for a specific role, once I got on board, I was put into a totally different role in which I did not have enough experience. As I was willing to work with them, requests to management for training always ended with me contacting other colleagues who were overworked themselves and did not have time. Needless to say I was put in a position to fail and fail I did. The Philadelphia office is filled with ex Rhom & Haas employees who are very snobby, think they know it all and very unwilling to help a colleague.

I would advise upper management to give managers a minimum requirement to attend some sort of basic skills training. The Philadelphia office is filled with residuals employees who may have functional knowledge but no management or leadership skills.

Complete nightmare

I have been working at Dow Chemical full-time

Pros

Salary was decent; there is a lot of training provided, but it is tedious and time consuming; that is all I can say that is positive

Cons

Poor management; no guidance; no work/family balance as they claim; extensive time focused on work processes no one follows; unrealistic expectations

Don't be fake - take time to guide, lead and be a mentor.

Great Learning Experience

Former Employee - Production Engineer in Freeport, TX
    Former Employee - Production Engineer in Freeport, TX

I worked at Dow Chemical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very Technical environment with a lot of experts in various fields of disciplines. Good learning Platform for new hires who want to become competent in any given role.

Cons

Too structured, managers are focused on their on ascension and focus less on employee growth. Pay is below average for a big company.

Focus on a less structured hierarchical environment and focus on building networks. Also allow flexibility for employees to grow

Ok not great

I have been working at Dow Chemical

Pros

A lot of room to grow
    decent benefits

Cons

Save save save. Cost cutting leads to no additional employee perks

Great place to grow

I have been working at Dow Chemical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to grow your career within a company. Good work life balance with a focus on the family not just the individual. Good pay with good benefits.

Cons

There is a bit of disconnect between maintanence and operations due to one being union and one not. Work process put in place is not always follwed so jobs become over due and over budget.

Continue to invest in the employees. Also keep having events at the plat so that more individuals can participate. Work on a solution to the Work Process issues.

Excellent Company, Especially for Your Early Career

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Midland, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Dow has so many absolutely brilliant people from whom to learn. There is deep and wide expertise everywhere - lots of opportunities for gaining knowledge and insight.

Pay and benefits are good, especially if you live/work in one of the lower cost of living sites (Midland, Freeport, etc.). I personally love working in Midland. Michigan (the rest of the state outside of Midland and the southeast) is absolutely beautiful and there is a ton to do. Midland is nice enough as a place to live. Great for families.

There are opportunities to try different jobs and experience different businesses and markets.

Middle management is very, very good by and large. I've had six managers. Two have been good, two have been very good, and two have been outstanding. That seems to be the trend among the first and second level managers. There are outliers, of course, but it's nice to have good immediate bosses.

Cons

Corporate bureaucracy runs amok. There's a process for how to read processes. There's a process for how to use the restroom. It gets absolutely ridiculous, and the overuse and over reliance on processes leads to frustration and lack of creativity and innovation.

For such a huge company, I'm blown away by how much career advancement depends upon who you know more than what you do. To get much beyond the first layer of leadership seems to involve significant butt-kissing.

Dow values diversity of appearance, not diversity of thought. This results in having people with a wide variety of skin colors and genital configurations who all take the same narrow-minded approach to everything.

This combination of drawbacks leads to an environment composed of three types of people: newbies, drones, and sycophants. The noobs are typically talented and ambitious, and Dow is a great place to start a career and learn. Once people get to mid-career, they have to choose to either be a drone (just doing their job and going home, knowing there is little opportunity to make an impact or meaningfully advance one's career) or a sycophant (kissing butt to move up the ladder). To be honest, being a drone at Dow is a pretty good existence. Pay is great, people are good, work can still be interesting, work-life balance is unbeatable... I don't want it to sound like it's awful. It's just that if you really want to make a splash with your career, the life of a Dow drone isn't a great place to be. Likewise, if you're willing to just do whatever it takes to move up, there's opportunity as a sycophant. If you have your own perspective and ideas of how to make the company better, not so much.

You're way more likely to lose your job at Dow by being in the wrong place at the wrong time than you are by being incompetent. A very good scientist or account manager will get laid off because Dow chooses to de-emphasize a certain business unit or product line while nitwits in an unaffected department keep their jobs. If you choose to work at Dow, always be cognizant of how your business or function is viewed by the higher-ups. That's the single biggest threat to your job.

Why bother? That's the big problem, that senior management is oblivious to perspectives that don't come from their little echo chamber.

Great company with so many opportunities

Former Employee - Office Professional in Pittsburg, CA
    Former Employee - Office Professional in Pittsburg, CA

I worked at Dow Chemical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A great world-wide company with great people, leadership, and endless opportunities to further your career

Cons

You do work at a chemical plant, so there are many risks out in the processing plants.

Good Pay, Good People, Solid Company

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Midland, MI
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Midland, MI

I worked at Dow Chemical as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation is very reasonable for engineers. Global company with lots of variety in job opportunities. The Midland site leader seems very intelligent, capable, and still a down-to-earth man of the people. I love the diversity of products and that leadership is continuously willing to venture into new areas to expand business.

Cons

Safety is #1 priority, but I still feel nervous when there's a safety alert from an upwind plant building.