Dow Chemical Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.7

Dow Chemical Chairman, President, and CEO Andrew N. Liveris
Andrew N. Liveris

Pros
  • Work life balance exists with your choice of a 4 10 or 9 80 work schedule (in 49 reviews)

• work environment, plenty of back ups since everyone knows each others job, good vacation time provided (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance processes are interpreted by Human managers (in 11 reviews)

• Lots of time and money spent on developing work processes that people don't follow (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great career-starter. Fantastic benefits, but a very politics hierarchy and mid to long term vision within businesses.

Former Employee - Production Engineer
    Former Employee - Production Engineer

I worked at Dow Chemical full-time

Pros

Benefits, work-life balance (except in ops), ability to relocate and try new roles

Cons

Short term, reactionary decision-making; lack of leadership (quality and quantity); little reward for going the extra mile.

Focus on long term growth. Make an effort to reward your talented employees.

Dow's Ringwood, Illinois Facility

Current Employee - Contractor  in  Ringwood, IL
    Current Employee - Contractor in Ringwood, IL

I have been working at Dow Chemical as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

Some friendly people, other than that not much.

Cons

Just go there, it will make you puke. Worst place I have ever been. I did some contractors work there and it is a complete circus. No one knows who is in control. No one knows what the chain of command is including the site leader. The operators seem willing to help out, but they are afraid of their own shadow and they act as if they are about to commit suicide. I am just glad I don't work there all of the time.

I would tell management to be more human and not so "by the books." Meaning there is no laughter at this plant if I see an operator make a small mistake on a safe work permit it is possible they will be fired. I have seen many of them go and this makes me never want to work in a place where people are willing to rat you out for nonsense. I have asked management about why they fire people for stupid reasons and they always say "We are Dow, it is about safety." That is the typical giant corporate answer of people terrified of losing their jobs.

Excellent Work life balance, but future is limited

Current Employee - EHS Specialist  in  Freeport, TX
    Current Employee - EHS Specialist in Freeport, TX

I have been working at Dow Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent Work Life Balance. Excellent benefits. Decent Culture.

Cons

Very little opportunity beyond EHS Specialist

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

long time contract experience

Current Employee - Information Systems Analyst  in  Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Midland, TX

I have been working at Dow Chemical as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

globalizations, working environment, management, working life balance is ok.

Cons

people, releationship, collaborations, efficiency, opportunities

Dow is a great company, but it is also an enormous company..

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Dow Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive compensation. Great people. Collaborative. Very safety oriented. Genuinely care about employee development. The benefits package is top notch. Excellent health insurance. 401(k) matching up to the first 6% contributed.

Cons

It's a big company so it can feel like it takes a long time to push anything through. I personally have found it difficult to advance my career. One big con is that its HQ's are in Midland MI.

Great network culture with options for finding roles that fit best

Current Employee - R&D Manager  in  Midland, MI
    Current Employee - R&D Manager in Midland, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The culture is such that finding the right person is always just a couple phone calls away. Almost everyone goes out of their way to help coworkers from across the company. And, being such a large company, there are many positions likely to suit most anyone, so if you have a desire for a change and the will to work through the company to make a move (networking, expressing your desires, working hard and taking on new challenges), it is possible to move into something great.

Cons

It can be a competitive environment because, as with any company but particularly those not growing at unsustainable rates, there are limited rewards (pay increases, bonuses, leadership positions). The company has very good compensation compared to market values, but people want more relative to their peers, and not everyone can be above average, by definition. There is a lot of focus on annual performance reviews in the culture that can drive non-collaborative behavior in areas where leaders aren't valuing collaboration, or publicly emphasizing valuing collaboration, as much as they should. Dow also hires top-notch people, so there is disappointment when many who have been told they are the best through their life end up being told they are average here.

Consider carefully the messages being sent about collaboration vs individual performance management. One way to take the focus off rewards people are getting is to make us more proud to work at the company. We are told we solve problems and are high quality people, but give us something beyond the company to be proud of- how those solutions we come up with impact people around the world.

Great First Job

I have been working at Dow Chemical for more than a year

Pros

Good experience with onboarding and training college graduates in the corporate environment. Compensation is slightly above peers' in other companies

Cons

Development programs lock-in entry level employees for a minimum of seven years. Management positions not available until 'graduating' from the entry level development program.

As an engineer, this company has it all; good pay, great benefits, and a work-life balance.

Former Employee - Improvement Engineer  in  Plaquemine, LA
    Former Employee - Improvement Engineer in Plaquemine, LA

I worked at Dow Chemical as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Work-life Balance
    - Can make your out-of-work issue a priority
    - Higher ups are personable
    - Connections can bring you places
    - People are go-getters
    - Easy-going

Cons

- Difficult to see future of company sometimes
    - Broad spectrum of personalities leaves room for uninspired people
    - Complacency is sometimes an issue
    - Difficult to make some of the smallest changes

- Keep being personable
    - May horizon seeable to all employees

Great company with work life balance

I worked at Dow Chemical full-time

Pros

Superior corporate social responsibility!Great culture! Nice and talented people!

Cons

Uncertainty due to some regional development strategy

Great company

I have been working at Dow Chemical

Pros

Exciting industry. Exposure to manufacturing. Challenging opportunities. Lengthy history in industry; lots of experience and knowledge shared among employees and managers.

Cons

Compensation is not very competitive for non-engineers. Meeting targets often more important than rewarding employee efforts. Promotions based on time in role rather than contributions.

Worked for Dow Chemical? Contribute to the Community!