Dow Corning

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

Dow Corning President and CEO Robert D. (Bob) Hansen
Robert D. (Bob) Hansen

Pros
  • Good work life balance - they give you a lot of flexibility even if you work long hours (in 29 reviews)

• Good benefits package in an area with a low cost of living (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Recent workforce reductions were terribly managed and damaged trust in senior leadership and killed employee morale (in 10 reviews)

• Too many managers / levels between the individual contributors and the upper management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good but changing

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer  in  Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Midland, MI

Pros

Stable company, good people, good community

Cons

Sr mgt has steered the company into failure. Took 70 years to build a reputation as a great employer, highly trusted and valued by customers with good profits. Took 5 years to destroy each one of these attributes. Same Sr mgt is still in charge and has "discovered" the way to success is what we used to do. They are now trying to go back. Will take 10 years to fix the damage.

Stop internal cost cutting focus and learn to listen to our customers...again. This starts with listening to your customer facing employees and stop thinking you have all the answers by virtue of your position. You don't!

Chemical Engineering Intern

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer Intern  in  Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer Intern in Midland, MI

Pros

All of the interns are housed in the same complex. Plenty of out-of-work activities going on. Really enjoyable summer for work and fun

Cons

All the opportunities are in Michigan

Market Leader, Outstanding Employees

Pros

Tremendously collaborative culture
    Challenging career opportunities

Cons

Can be bureaucratic
    Too process obsessed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great environment and great people, lacks city life for younger generation

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Midland, MI

Pros

You will be comfortable working here, but it may not fulfill your biggest dreams. But I can't complain how great I have been introduced into the company.
    Culture
    People
    Laid-back attitude

Cons

Not much of a city feel
    Slower work pace

DC Co-op

Current Employee - Lab Co-op  in  Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Lab Co-op in Midland, MI

Pros

Great place to work while attending one of the nearby colleges. Had some great experiences working in a lab setting and also got to see the large scale production activity at the plant. Had to leave when I transferred schools, but definitely a place I would consider returning to work full time at.

Cons

At times I could have used more projects to work on

Great job! Need some work on management. Actual work is a blast!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Midland, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, MI

Pros

Developing products was a very fun job. You obtain the idea of want the customer wants and you develop it into a product they can feel, touch, and test. Based on how well you listened equals how well the product works in their application. When you hit a home run and they start purchasing the product, it is the best feeling in the world.

Cons

I worked in product development for 11 years and tech service and product development for another 10 years out of my total 28 years. I listened to the customer and developed what they wanted. I was very successful with my developed products. I also have 15 issued patents. The management wasn't happy or even excited about this. What they were worried about was that as an engineer I didn't think like a chemist, so I didn't belong in a development job anymore after 20 years. There is lots of room for improvement for first line management at this company. In addition, human resource has too much control over how work is done. No work flexibility exists.

You need to be more aware of the terrible job your first line managers are doing. They are motivation killers and despise diversity. They want everyone in their group to work, think, and be alike. They also want everyone to be "yes-men". They want no one to disagree with their ideas. Everyone must use their ideas also or you are not open to other ideas. These are the male managers. I would work there again if some of this changed.

Financially unstable and seriously shaken corporation - reference - Dow Corning financial reports

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Midland, MI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Midland, MI

Pros

Significantly reduced R&D, Application Development and Customer Support activities last years. Motto “Go and hunt for a business outside” had become popular leading to a series of wrong business and acquisition decisions. Why one should want to be “inside” then? This inactivity is in contrast with continuously growing Manageria. Currently, there is no real career development for professionals in this company. Due to the high unemployment level, smart people are still going there but just for a while. Majority salaries are low, no bonuses. Geographically and economically region is unattractive.

Cons

Company culture and attitude completely changed last 5 years from stable family supportive with good private/business balance to permanent layoffs and “army” discipline. HR apparatus enormously expanded and start controlling not only staffing but the entire business life – from spying on working time to personal improvement and all aspects of employee behavior. Management is proud with these HR pioneering “innovations”.

Management should take responsibilities for all failures.

Treated like a red headed step child.

Pros

Work/Family balance for employees in managment roles. Wish I could say the same for hourly employees.

Cons

Big talk of a big company that was going to make big changes for the better. Complete opposite. Complete loss of vision for site. No value for money and terrible decisions on where to spend it. Common sense decisions take weeks and groups of individuals that have no idea what is being discussed to make. Completely politically driven. More and more "real DC" employees being hired from other sites, usually from one that is shut down from poor decision making by these individuals. Seems like if you didn't come from Midland, Mi you will NOT feel like or be treated like a DC employee.

What was thought was going to be one of the greatest changes of my life turned out to be the absolute worst.

It's time to sit back and understand why 1/2 of the employees sit in their vehicle before coming in to work and read Daily Devotionals to get the strength to get through the day.

Get off your high horses, put your Egos away and listen to what employees are telling you.

Downsized

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Global company that wants all key positions in Michigan, so much for diversity.

You can do better.

'ok', but needs considerable work to be great

Pros

Excellent work-life balance; moderate pay (not has high as their neighbor Dow Chemical, but not too much worse; I would say it is satisfactory considering Dow Chem is much bigger). Very good benefits; Very professional work atmosphere.

Cons

In science R&D I find that the company is weak in terms of solving major industrial problems. The more senior scientists are sometimes lack the appropriate technical skills, and the company (including the scientists) seem oblivious to this. Dow Corning does not seem to be a company that fosters technical greatness. Instead, the company seems to make minor technical achievements, such as slightly reformulating various types of silicones. In dow corning lingo, this means we are trying to keep customers but not developing any game changing innovations. This strategy worked in the golden years of dow corning, especially when the market was stronger, but in current times with heavier competition, I am less optimistic for the company

There is a large age gap, so there are many older scientists, increasingly larger numbers of younger scientists, but very few mid level scientists. This reflects the serious challenge the company faces; the company lacks middle aged scientists that are in their stride. The company is hiring in technically strong young people, but without significant experience in industrial research, the learning curve is steep. One way to remedy the deficiency is with more external hires for experienced senior scientists (that have succeed in major technical projects, not just reformulating), but i'm not aware of that happening to a significant extent.

At this point we just need new management; the large chunk of the 'leadership' at various levels has failed

Worked for Dow Corning? Contribute to the Community!