Dow Jones

Dow Jones Reviews

Updated November 3, 2014
Updated November 3, 2014

William Lewis

Pros
  • The salary was amazing, and the work/life balance incredibly fair (in 27 reviews)

• At the time I worked there, there were very good benefits, vacation and work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Well it runs rampant under the CEO and others in Senior Management roles (in 20 reviews)

• uncertainty as to what upper management is doing (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Smart People, Good Culture

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Smart people who are caring. I was just an intern, but they showed a genuine interest in me personally and tried to give me meaningful projects when possible.

Cons

Trying to be hip - should stick to being the intellectual paper / media company.

N/A

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great collaborative environment
    Overall positive attitude by most employees
    Opportunity to contribute from day
    Very flexible with work schedules
    Incredible work/life balance
    Phenomenal benefits

Cons

Alot of changes in upper management over the last two years has caused some unrest. Hopefully we have a solid team that will stick around for a while so plans can be seen through to the end.

Maintain the open plan/open door policy and continue to drive employee with positive reinforcement.

Good people, supportive

I worked at Dow Jones

Pros

team oriented supportive gain lots of experience

Cons

none really to mention. All good

transparency

Very unstable environment

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Many of the people are quite nice, and the company is very good about benefits.

Cons

In the time that I interned there, I went through three different managers because the other ones had been let go, as had several of my colleagues. There was never a sense of stability.

Stop changing things so much!

Declining industry

Former Employee - Senior Management in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Management in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with DJ is a challenge. If you are willing to work extra hours and put the effort in to overcome obstacles you can succeed. In the current environment you are asked to do more with less. If you are amenable to working in a declining business, there are opportunities. News Corp (DJ parent company) is one of the last players standing.

Cons

It is difficult to succeed and prosper in a declining industry. There are additional issues working within DJ relating to their obtuse philosophy and the entrenched DJ management's refusal to accept working under News Corporations umbrella. Ideas and proven business practices that are prosperous worldwide were obstructed and rejected at every step of the corporate integration.

Adapt and accept change.
    Dinousors do die off.

Evolving Experience

Current Employee - Reporter
    Current Employee - Reporter

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Got lots of responsibility, opportunity to work on projects that taught me new things.

Cons

Reorganizations create a sense of uncertainty. No budget for training off location.

Great brand of the past and present

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart people who do things the right way. A genuine support for journalists over any other part of the business.

Cons

The company has peaked and there is nothing in it's current plan that places a bet on a major move up. All that remains is the obvious major moves down. (loss of print revenue)

Take the lead in defining what journalism is (and requires) in the post print era.

Management ruined a great team

Former Employee - Interaction Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Interaction Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There was a point during which I loved working here - the team was full of very smart, very talented and, most importantly, very cool people. I loved going to the office because of these people and I made lifelong friends.
    The salary was amazing, and the work/life balance incredibly fair. It also had the potential to be a great opportunity - the Wall Street Journal is one of the top publications in the world, after all.

Cons

About 8 months ago, there was a change in management and not for the better. From a team of 20+ people, there are about 3 to 4 left, and those only because they haven't found another gig yet. I'm not exaggerating.
    The management is obsessed with themselves and their own ideas, to the detriment of the product. They have actual, diagnosable personality disorders and it's amazing that they've gotten this far in life without getting them treated. I'm not saying this as an ad hominen attack or just to be obnoxious - this is true, and it gets in the way of work.
    They've created an inhospitable environment, not only for creatives, but for anyone. You are actively encouraged to not think outside the box. Management talks behind people's backs and says very inappropriate, hateful things (like "what the f*ck is this sh*t?" about your work, and "I can't stand XYZ" to everyone except XYZ themselves).
    Every single person that has left in the last 8 months (about 16 people) has had an exit interview with HR. We have all expressed the same complaint and mentioned one, specific person by name. His response? This is a real, direct quote: "I had a talk with HR and they know that I'm the most important person in the company." You see what I mean when I say that they have disorders? Oh, and the last few months, our exit interviews have been conducted by an HR intern who has been with the company for 3 months. So I guess they know they're doing something wrong. But it doesn't matter anyway, because they're all best buds with the CEO.
    And to top it all off, our bosses' bosses (the management) are NOT EVEN GOOD DESIGNERS. WHY AM I TAKING DESIGN ADVICE FROM SOMEONE THAT IS SO BAD AT IT??

You can check reviews for the Wall Street Journal too - some of us wrote reviews here (since DJ was technically our employer) and some there, but they all say the same thing. And if you see a job ad for a creative position for the WSJ website, DO NOT apply. Don't waste your time, mental health or skills on a place that won't appreciate them.

When the people actually building your product - professionals who have devoted their lives to doing it right - are telling your something, maybe you should take your head out of your behind and listen. It's very short sighted to try to push through your dumb ideas which will ultimately fail and not contribute anything to the company's success.
    "Im British and it's part of the culture" is not an adequate excuse for your mean and nasty attitude. It's leaves a particularly foul taste in one's mouth when you get sloppy drunk and go on and on about how great we all are, and then show up the next day and talk about how much you actually hate us. This non-exactly-anonymous review might skirt the line of being unprofessional but you really set the bar at entirely new heights.

I had a great run at DJ, but upper management is clueless. The old adage "sh*t floats up" is alive and well here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits. The people. They are few and far between but there are some great managers there.

Cons

Not much room for growth. Experience doesn't seem to count for much. The presence of a union creates an "us vs. them mentality," which prevents a cohesive, united business culture. You can be told you are supported by management, but if HR gets a hold of management, the tune quickly changes.

You will hire and maintain the best talent if you allow them to participate in decision making.

Technical Intern Experience

Current Employee - Technical Intern
    Current Employee - Technical Intern

I have been working at Dow Jones as an intern

Pros

Big company, so big name, especially for an intern. The NYC office is fun and there is a lot around.

Cons

The management of the company was going nowhere. I had an offer to continue full time, but my intern experience was very unorganized. My team was not very responsive and neither were other teams. The happiness of the off was very low, and the tension was always high.

Get back on track as a corporation.