Dow Lohnes

Be The First To
Add Photos

Len Baxt

Vice President

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Dow Lohnes

ProsThe firm has an open field and a level of autonomy, entrepreneurial Spirit and encourages individual lawyers to bring in business early in their careers.

ConsPartners need to be thoroughly trained to deal with subordinate lawyers. Billing hours were not always readily available to a small percentage of associates.

Legend

Partner (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Dow Lohnes full-time for more than 10 years

ProsQuality people, high-end work, collegial family atmosphere

ConsAfter 95 years, the firm failed to weather the storm.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou will be missed.

Great substantive legal work; lacking everything else

I have been working at Dow Lohnes full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAssociates have significant responsibility and client interaction early in their careers. Partners and senior attorneys are all incredibly intelligent and good at what they do.

ConsAn old-fashioned face time firm; definitely not flex time or family friendly. Associates and paralegals are asked to cancel vacations, doctor appointments, etc. for minor projects. Minimal opportunities for business development.

Atlanta office is not a happy place

Legal Secretary (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Dow Lohnes

ProsInteresting work; excellent computer training programs; flexible hours; most of the attorneys are extremely intelligent and well organized; good paid time off plan.

ConsLack of communication among management and staff; human resources management plays favorites, lacks compassion and always takes the side of the attorneys without listening to staff side of story.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe human resources managers in Atlanta need to be replaced. Their sole mission is to keep the attorneys happy even at the cost of losing valuable and experienced staff members. They do not want to hear your side of the story. They share confidential information with other staff members who have no need to know. The main HR department is D.C. is in the dark about how things are handled in Atlanta.

Associate

Associate (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Dow Lohnes

ProsInteresting work and partners are smart and friendly.

ConsCompensation, lack of transparency in decision making, and seeming lack of long range plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink outside the box.

Great Pay, Low Morale

Associate (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Dow Lohnes

Prosinteresting and challenging legal work--especially for DC

ConsPartners are not sensitive to associate needs. Firm is focused mainly on compensation--particularly for partners. Associate salaries are high, but I would prefer better work-life balance over more salary. Firm only looks to promote associates who work crazy hours. Too many partners, so few prospects for advancement. No flexibility towards careers for women. Little interest in attracting diversity, so remains an old boys club.

women.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not all about the money. If you're not going to keep the majority of the associates that you bring in, make that clear from the top. Instead, train them well, make it a pleasant environment for them, and win their loyalty when they go on to do better things. Think hard about what you are doing to attract and reatin women, particularly those who want to have children.

Worked for Dow Lohnes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dow Lohnes reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dow Lohnes CEO Len Baxt. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Dow Lohnes employees.