DrChrono

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Michael Nusimow

Great place to work at

Customer Success (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsCutting edge technology in the EHR/EMR place, iPad, iOS, Google Glass apps. A great company culture, where the founders look for input from everyone on how to make the company successful.

ConsJust like other fast growing companies, drchrono needs more engineers and product managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you doing, this product and company is fantastic.

No respect, low pay, incompetent leadership.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWhen I started here we had lunch cooked every day for us. The office was also walking distance to CalTrain and restaurants. Mid level management was pretty good at that time, but now every has been fired or left on their own accord. The office does offer new Macs and iPads for employees.

ConsThe CEO really is socially awkward and passive aggressive like other reviewers have mentioned. He refuses to listen to his employees because he is always right and the employees are always wrong. If you disagree on anything, don't expect to keep your job longer than 3 months here. Turnover is so high that there are people departing monthly, and that's in a 20 person company. I saw about 5 support people come and go, 3 VPs of sales come and go, and at least 7 engineers leave the company or get fired. Every single time a memo was sent out saying that "the employee had attitude problems and was asked to leave" when in fact the CEO didn't agree with something or own up to the fact he was wrong and fired them.

If you ask the engineers for any type of help they almost look disgusted and offended. There is zero teamwork here and everyone has it out for the other employees. Engineering is bombarded with random "sexy" projects that don't add any value to the customers. They have no background in healthcare and don't know how to handle what is thrown at them.

Speaking of the customers... they are always wrong or crazy if they have any type of issue according to the CEO. He thinks the company never makes mistakes and the product is perfect, when in fact the product is full of bugs and dozens of doctors call every single day to complain that they cannot run their practice because something is broken.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at yourselves in the mirror. Your turnover rate is ridiculously high, you have zero respect for your employees, and you pay everyone at 50% of market value. Stop terrorizing all of your employees. You don't know the medical field, you don't listen to what doctors want, and you couldn't care less about your customers. The CEO & COO are both mentally and emotionally absent and asleep at the wheel. This company has no chance of surviving without replacing the utterly incompetent cofounders.

Stop writing fake reviews on this site. Listen to your employee feedback and actually implement what the dozens and dozens of former employees have told you. That's the only chance this company has to survice.

Not the Silicon Valley Dream, instead a Silicon Valley Nightmare

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsSadly, these days there aren't that many good reasons to work for drchrono anymore. When I started as a software engineer, I had many reasons to join:
     - Fair compensation package (decent salary, daily lunches and dinners, healthcare benefits, after-hour events)
     - Great work environment
     - International colleagues were sponsored for H1B visas
     - Solid work equipment

This has changed drastically though! The engineers are all highly underpaid at this point, where some of us make half of what is common for the market in the area. All food benefits have been cut, so that in addition to a lower salary, you will have to provide for yourself on a daily basis.

drchrono moved to new offices mid year of 2013, and that definitely had some benefits. Open office layout, to name one of them, but at the same time many disadvantages accompanied the move. Food options are extremely limited in the area, thus you will most likely have to drive somewhere in order to feed yourself. Unless you prefer McDonalds and Krispy Kreme Donuts every single day.

Most of your colleagues will be smart and you will definitely make friendships. But there is a simple reason for this: Misery loves Company.

Reading some of the previous posts, I highly doubt that previous employees or even current ones for that matter would rate this place so high! I would make the bold claim that most of the previous "amazing" reviews are simply fake and should be removed from this page in order to provide a proper light on the harsh conditions at this workplace!

ConsAs mentioned in the pro section of this post, there are many more cons than pros at this point of time. Do you like to work for less than you are worth? I wouldn't think so. The average salary for a software engineer is rather accurate and I wouldn't expect any more any time soon either!

The two founders are first time founders and you can clearly see this in their actions. The company has exceeded the complexity that the two founders can handle by themselves, so thus they decided to get help by hiring some VPs. The first VP already left after about a month on the job, because he realized how immature the CEO and COO are, and that fixing this company would take multiple years. Other higher ups have left the company roughly around the same time.

If someone points out to the CEO that their employees are unhappy, all he does is shrugs it off, and does not take any kind of action. In some instances, the disapproval of some employees are voiced towards other employees, causing lots of rumors. All in all, the company is highly political and highly ineffective. Another review wrote about how the CEO is essentially a "socially awkward passive aggressive mental terrorist", and at first I had to laugh, but it actually is spot on! If you are still considering a job here, you have been warned!

Many employees join the company and shortly after ask what the COO does? There is something wrong with this picture. This issue has not been addressed in my time being here, and I do not see this issue being resolved. He is a nice guy, but that is about it.

Previous reviews pointed out the "hacking" culture and chasing "shiny" features, which is still true to this point. Due to the CEO being an engineer, he would not let the engineering team lead change this, and almost every single feature on the platform is hacked together in just a few days, and due to this, the platform is seared with technical debt. Obviously, no time is given to fix some of these issues! Additionally, the CEO likes to chase "silver bullets", that change everything, yet somehow none of the ideas of the past year or so have done it. Most of the ideas are partially implemented and causes much frustration among customers who would occasionally like to use such a feature.
    Do not be surprised if you get an email every few days to hack something together, because there was a brand new idea. Other companies have quarterly projects, we have daily projects that exceed what you can do in one day.

To this day, the company has yet to have a Product Manager to help with putting together a product. Most engineers don't have any kind of background in healthcare and are left stranded due to the workload. The engineers that have an healthcare background, are unable to help, as their workload is so high to get clinical features out, that they can't be of any proper help.

Overall, the company has many issues, and the founding team is unable to change the situation unless they start listening and letting go off control. Micro management seems to be the trend in previous reviews, and this is still the case. No one has been able to change how the CEO works, and thus I do not trust him to bring around the company.

As previously mentioned, most if not all of the positive reviews are indeed fake and created by one of the founders of the company. This is in reaction to receiving some very harsh reviews in the past. The only way to improve reviews over time though is to actually listen to the message and not just ignore and continue in your usual ways.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst of all there are many things you can do to improve the situation. First, start paying your engineers more money, because it is an abomination to pay that little, and expect so much. Get a proper board of directors, which does not just consist of the CEO and COO. Also, let your managers do the managing of the teams, and don't override their decisions. You have to start to trust them, otherwise retention rate will be low as it currently is. Don't communicate with engineers directly, it is frustrating to us to have to listen to two masters, and not know who is actually in charge.

Do not fool yourself, you are not good managers! You are terrible managers. You are even worse managers of managers. Everyone is unhappy in the company at this point!
    Stop releasing unfinished products! Create a project roadmap and some proper timelines that everyone can agree on and follow.

And most importantly: Step down from your current positions. You are not fit to be CEO or COO. Just because you founded the company, doesn't mean that you should have that title. Everyone that has left so far, is upset with the CEO, and that should be a sign of inappropriate leadership!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Proud to be a member of such a great company

Sales (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGreat management who is involved in your success and cares about your opinion. Its great to be apart of such a revolutionizing product and a growing industry.

ConsI had to really give this question some thought and the truth is, theres nothing that necessarily comes to mind. I'm lucky to say I have a great job that I'm happy with and passionate about.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Life is good in Mt. View at drchrono

Vice President Sales (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsHealthcare is an exciting space and growing rapidly. drchrono is an innovative leader with an amazing iPad application that is used by 60,000 doctors. We are in growth mode.

ConsThis is a start-up so we have limits on our resources and we work very hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. New leaders are adding to the management team, keep developing the new products and building out engineering, sales, and customer support departments.

Beware of all the fake reviews. This company is toxic.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe office is close to the freeway. There are free food and drinks in the office. Some of the employees are friendly. That's really all I can think of.

ConsManagement is so incompetent it just hurts my brain. The software is full of bugs and instead of building features that doctors actually want, the utterly incompetent CEO pushes features that he thinks are "sexy". yet they are not what doctors want at all. The CEO thinks he's the Steve Jobs of healthcare. What a complete joke. The COO is never in the office and spends all of his time posting on Facebook and Twitter instead of contributing anything to the company. The only people that work here are people that have gotten rejected by other tech companies in Silicon Valley. You won't find a single person with any real tech experience. Everyone comes from a foreign country and is looking for a way to get into Silicon Valley or they come from a retail job. There isn't a single person here that has legitimate tech startup experience. The pay here is about 50% of what any normal company would offer. Stock options are hard to come by. The CEO is pretty much a socially awkward passive aggressive mental terrorist.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves. You are the most incompetent "managers" in Silicon Valley and the laughing stock of Y-Combinator. Stop yelling at your employees and treating them like dirt. Your employees are your most valuable assets.

Stay far away from DrChrono!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThey have free food and drinks in the the office. Hours for being in the office are pretty flexible. Sometimes there are guest speakers from companies that are actually successful.

ConsThe environment at this company is extremely hostile. It's do what the CEO says or get out. The CEO has absolutely no business or leadership qualities as he's an engineer by trade. If you like passive aggressive C-level "management" that runs away and hides from all problems, you'll like it here.

Most of the engineers are indentured servants here on H1B visas. They get paid $60k or less and just use this company as their door into Silicon Valley. It's a revolving door as well. I've never seen so much discontent, drama and hate for a job as I have at this company and I've been around Silicon Valley for a long time.

Sometimes employees get fired just to cut costs for the short term. It's the biggest failure of a business I've ever seen. I get that startups can struggle and change a lot, but DrChrono has all the negatives of startups without any of the benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the CEO/COO with real executives that have actual business experience. Stop terrorizing your employees and treating them like they are just your little disposable pawns.

I've worked at a few places and this is the best so far

Implementation Specialist (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe platform just works, I've see junk software in healthcare and these guys have the best thing on the market. I've seen smoke and mirrors, but this isn't that in every aspect.

ConsThe team works extremely hard, it is a smaller team compared to the larger crappier vendors that have teams of 1000's of people. This is a team of less then 100 people working amazingly hard. Get ready to work if you work with them! This is a good thing if you care about healthcare. Not a good thing if you are looking for a 9 to 5 job.

One of the best experiences I've had

Sales Development (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGreat product, easy to sell, drchrono takes care of their employees. Drchrono employees are given opportunities to perform tasks different from what they were hired to do originally. If you truly enjoy helping companies become great, this is the company to work for!

ConsI really enjoyed working at drc and have no cons to mention.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and straightforward with your employees.

rough but worth it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou'll grow and learn invaluable lessons that you won't get at many other startups. drchrono is a high-growth, hard to handle startup. This is one of the few companies that's been able to meet the extraordinarily high demands of Silicon Valley growth.

I was personally also able to grow in multiple capacities at the company -- serving in customer support, quality assurance, account management/sales, and leading Meaningful Use attestations. At one point, I was given code access to make small changes to the site to improve the user experience for customers at very fast speeds, making changes that would never otherwise reach our devs. That's the kind of experience you'll have at drchrono - unconventional but lean.

They focus on shipping over writing the perfect solution. The faster you get feedback, the faster you can learn. This is a different philosophy that's not right for everyone, or many in the Silicon Valley. In the Valley, you have engineers who want perfect machines... not craftsman who want perfect solutions to a customer's problem. The distinction is subtle but necessary to make. First, you must discover what those problems are... then you engineer to them to the point where engagement and happiness hits. No premature optimizations.

ConsThe challenges at this company are communication and appreciation. These are challenges at every small startup as they grow. Most startups must be founded by brut force individuals, who will stop at nothing to get the job done. Then, founders must shift to being managers and leaders, and to focus on other metrics.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate your goals to your team with metrics they can manage and own completely. Embrace their tips, show them you appreciate them for their work, and never get down on them in front of others or rarely at all. Focus on picking the team up and encouraging them to try different solutions -- embrace their hunger to try what they want. Let them try their ideas then impress you or make a mistake. That's why you hire them.

Worked for DrChrono? Contribute to the Community!