DrChrono

Michael Nusimow

Turning into something amazing

Current Employee - Customer Implementation in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Implementation in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at DrChrono full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a company that I actually feel good about going into work over. The vibe is amazing, the people are smart and the management understand the future. I see this place as the future of healthcare and I work my heart out every day.

Cons

Doctors are a tough group to make happy, so you need to be on your game and always keep learning. The drchrono software and platform is amazingly powerful but it took me a while to really understand it. There should be a course on how to train doctors, it is a full time challenge, but I love it.

Would love more outings with the whole team. The company outings are super fun and we all get to bond from them.

It's fun to be part of a growing company

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at DrChrono full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good sales team. Can work from home 1 day per week if I need to. Culture is good. We are all friends in the office. Play ping pong and go out for drinks frequently. We've hired some good leaders that's helped get everyone on the same page. It's fun to be at a company that is growing.

Cons

I'd like to see the product development move faster.

Keep pushing the product, keep listening to our customers it's working.

Couldn't see myself anywhere else

I have been working at DrChrono full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Amazing, amazing co-workers and culture
    -Start-up culture with free food, snacks, coffee, breakfast, etc.
    -Company events like steak dinners, parties, etc.
    -Free apple technology all over the place
    -good work/life balance
    -Amazing sales/marketing/business leadership
    -whether in sales, marketing, or engineering, everyone is friends and hangs out together
    -ping pong table in office
    -fast promotion track
    -VERY fast growing, totally revamping and moving forward fast
    -great benefits package

Cons

-not exactly the highest compensation at the lower levels, but everyone loves what they do and sticks around.
    -Past issues with turnover in employees, but now with new leadership and changes, that is not a problem at all anymore.
    -sometimes our catered lunch on fridays comes 15 minutes late ;)

Keep doing your thing. It seems like you've made all of the necessary changes, now that there is a new sales/customer success manager, separate from engineering leadership- everything is going smooth and the company is in great hands. Excited for big things to come.

I recommend working here if you're passionate about Healthcare

I have been working at DrChrono full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's still a relatively small company and it's fun to be able to interact across "departments".
    Almost everyone above me tries to help me get better at my job (sales).
    The engineering team is ridiculously good and since we finished pivoting we haven't had any turnover on the engineering team even with HR poachers lurking around (we're across the freeway from Google).
    There's a lot of freedom in how you go about your job in sales. I've been able to work remotely multiple times.
    We have some excellent backing in terms of funders
    We're a part of the apple health kit (right now its gimmicky but I'm personally really excited about it).

Cons

In a new position and right now compensation is still being determined. The VP is very fair and considerate and wants his team to be well compensated. But you're going to get that kind of experience working in a start-up. I think things are getting more secure now though.
    My role as a BDR is primarily cold-calling. So that can be rough. But there are chances that you could get a promotion out of the role in a matter of months because of the rate of growth in the company.

We need to do some more 1:1s or 1:4s.

fast-moving company with good culture and politics kept to a minimum

Current Employee - Backend Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Backend Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at DrChrono full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Theres a huge variety in the work that needs to get done, and you have a lot of say in what projects you get to do. There's not too much micromanagement, and there is very little internal politics.

Cons

There aren't enough employees for the amount of work that needs doing, should hire more developers. Decision making can be a little short-sighted sometimes valuing this month's revenue number over the long term health of the company.

Hire more people, pay them more too.

An amazing place to work.

I have been working at DrChrono full-time

Pros

Leaning about software, engineering, product, how to scale is what this company is about.

Focus on culture is important and everyone is involved in hiring.

Cons

We have a ping pong table and everyone loves playing so get ready to play a hard game of ping pong during down time.

Love the company, no cons.

Creative experience in healthcare

I have been working at DrChrono full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company is a startup in the sense that the team is always creating and designing. I love the fact that we have doctors coming by our offices to talk to us about features and everyone on the team listens. You don't know how important that is in healthcare. I perviously worked at another company in healthcare and they didn't listen to our users, it was very frustrating, but here the team is vigorously learning and improving everything all of the time.

Cons

Office is amazing, amazing lighting but a little far from the train, but it isn't to far.

Love the ping pong tournaments that are happening now!

Great place to work at

I have been working at DrChrono full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cutting edge technology in the EHR/EMR place, iPad, iOS, Google Glass apps. A great company culture, where the founders look for input from everyone on how to make the company successful.

Cons

Just like other fast growing companies, drchrono needs more engineers and product managers.

Keep doing what you doing, this product and company is fantastic.

No respect, low pay, incompetent leadership.

I worked at DrChrono (more than an year)

Pros

When I started here we had lunch cooked every day for us. The office was also walking distance to CalTrain and restaurants. Mid level management was pretty good at that time, but now every has been fired or left on their own accord. The office does offer new Macs and iPads for employees.

Cons

The CEO really is socially awkward and passive aggressive like other reviewers have mentioned. He refuses to listen to his employees because he is always right and the employees are always wrong. If you disagree on anything, don't expect to keep your job longer than 3 months here. Turnover is so high that there are people departing monthly, and that's in a 20 person company. I saw about 5 support people come and go, 3 VPs of sales come and go, and at least 7 engineers leave the company or get fired. Every single time a memo was sent out saying that "the employee had attitude problems and was asked to leave" when in fact the CEO didn't agree with something or own up to the fact he was wrong and fired them.

If you ask the engineers for any type of help they almost look disgusted and offended. There is zero teamwork here and everyone has it out for the other employees. Engineering is bombarded with random "sexy" projects that don't add any value to the customers. They have no background in healthcare and don't know how to handle what is thrown at them.

Speaking of the customers... they are always wrong or crazy if they have any type of issue according to the CEO. He thinks the company never makes mistakes and the product is perfect, when in fact the product is full of bugs and dozens of doctors call every single day to complain that they cannot run their practice because something is broken.

Look at yourselves in the mirror. Your turnover rate is ridiculously high, you have zero respect for your employees, and you pay everyone at 50% of market value. Stop terrorizing all of your employees. You don't know the medical field, you don't listen to what doctors want, and you couldn't care less about your customers. The CEO & COO are both mentally and emotionally absent and asleep at the wheel. This company has no chance of surviving without replacing the utterly incompetent cofounders.

Stop writing fake reviews on this site. Listen to your employee feedback and actually implement what the dozens and dozens of former employees have told you. That's the only chance this company has to survice.

Not the Silicon Valley Dream, instead a Silicon Valley Nightmare

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at DrChrono full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sadly, these days there aren't that many good reasons to work for drchrono anymore. When I started as a software engineer, I had many reasons to join:
     - Fair compensation package (decent salary, daily lunches and dinners, healthcare benefits, after-hour events)
     - Great work environment
     - International colleagues were sponsored for H1B visas
     - Solid work equipment

This has changed drastically though! The engineers are all highly underpaid at this point, where some of us make half of what is common for the market in the area. All food benefits have been cut, so that in addition to a lower salary, you will have to provide for yourself on a daily basis.

drchrono moved to new offices mid year of 2013, and that definitely had some benefits. Open office layout, to name one of them, but at the same time many disadvantages accompanied the move. Food options are extremely limited in the area, thus you will most likely have to drive somewhere in order to feed yourself. Unless you prefer McDonalds and Krispy Kreme Donuts every single day.

Most of your colleagues will be smart and you will definitely make friendships. But there is a simple reason for this: Misery loves Company.

Reading some of the previous posts, I highly doubt that previous employees or even current ones for that matter would rate this place so high! I would make the bold claim that most of the previous "amazing" reviews are simply fake and should be removed from this page in order to provide a proper light on the harsh conditions at this workplace!

Cons

As mentioned in the pro section of this post, there are many more cons than pros at this point of time. Do you like to work for less than you are worth? I wouldn't think so. The average salary for a software engineer is rather accurate and I wouldn't expect any more any time soon either!

The two founders are first time founders and you can clearly see this in their actions. The company has exceeded the complexity that the two founders can handle by themselves, so thus they decided to get help by hiring some VPs. The first VP already left after about a month on the job, because he realized how immature the CEO and COO are, and that fixing this company would take multiple years. Other higher ups have left the company roughly around the same time.

If someone points out to the CEO that their employees are unhappy, all he does is shrugs it off, and does not take any kind of action. In some instances, the disapproval of some employees are voiced towards other employees, causing lots of rumors. All in all, the company is highly political and highly ineffective. Another review wrote about how the CEO is essentially a "socially awkward passive aggressive mental terrorist", and at first I had to laugh, but it actually is spot on! If you are still considering a job here, you have been warned!

Many employees join the company and shortly after ask what the COO does? There is something wrong with this picture. This issue has not been addressed in my time being here, and I do not see this issue being resolved. He is a nice guy, but that is about it.

Previous reviews pointed out the "hacking" culture and chasing "shiny" features, which is still true to this point. Due to the CEO being an engineer, he would not let the engineering team lead change this, and almost every single feature on the platform is hacked together in just a few days, and due to this, the platform is seared with technical debt. Obviously, no time is given to fix some of these issues! Additionally, the CEO likes to chase "silver bullets", that change everything, yet somehow none of the ideas of the past year or so have done it. Most of the ideas are partially implemented and causes much frustration among customers who would occasionally like to use such a feature.
    Do not be surprised if you get an email every few days to hack something together, because there was a brand new idea. Other companies have quarterly projects, we have daily projects that exceed what you can do in one day.

To this day, the company has yet to have a Product Manager to help with putting together a product. Most engineers don't have any kind of background in healthcare and are left stranded due to the workload. The engineers that have an healthcare background, are unable to help, as their workload is so high to get clinical features out, that they can't be of any proper help.

Overall, the company has many issues, and the founding team is unable to change the situation unless they start listening and letting go off control. Micro management seems to be the trend in previous reviews, and this is still the case. No one has been able to change how the CEO works, and thus I do not trust him to bring around the company.

As previously mentioned, most if not all of the positive reviews are indeed fake and created by one of the founders of the company. This is in reaction to receiving some very harsh reviews in the past. The only way to improve reviews over time though is to actually listen to the message and not just ignore and continue in your usual ways.

First of all there are many things you can do to improve the situation. First, start paying your engineers more money, because it is an abomination to pay that little, and expect so much. Get a proper board of directors, which does not just consist of the CEO and COO. Also, let your managers do the managing of the teams, and don't override their decisions. You have to start to trust them, otherwise retention rate will be low as it currently is. Don't communicate with engineers directly, it is frustrating to us to have to listen to two masters, and not know who is actually in charge.

Do not fool yourself, you are not good managers! You are terrible managers. You are even worse managers of managers. Everyone is unhappy in the company at this point!
    Stop releasing unfinished products! Create a project roadmap and some proper timelines that everyone can agree on and follow.

And most importantly: Step down from your current positions. You are not fit to be CEO or COO. Just because you founded the company, doesn't mean that you should have that title. Everyone that has left so far, is upset with the CEO, and that should be a sign of inappropriate leadership!